"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Senior Cook
erinmself's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brandon, Suffolk, UK
Posts: 115
Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
What is it called?

What is the heat lamp type thing that they use in restaurants to keep meals warm until they are served called?


" Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it" Psalm 127:1 God Bless You!!

erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
mudbug's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
salamander, I believe

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Senior Cook
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern California
Posts: 354
A salamander is a broiler.

KaTom Restaurant Supply - Restaurant, Foodservice, Concession, Catering and Home Kitchen Equipment and Supplies

The heat lamps are generally referred to as food warmers:

Food Warmers - Restaurant Equipment at KaTom Restaurant Supply

As you can see they are available as bulb type heat lamps to infrared warmer strips.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
the lamps are on flexible cords so they can be drawn close to the food when necessary
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
kitchenelf's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 19,725
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Originally Posted by Robo410
the lamps are on flexible cords so they can be drawn close to the food when necessary
Ours were not on cords - they were in strips attached to the top of the shelf so the food was kept warm when placed on the shelf.

They are simply food warmers or food lamps.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
Executive Chef
Corey123's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: East Boston, MA.
Posts: 2,881
I think they're called warming lamps, since they keep the food hot until the waiter or waitress bring it to the table for the person or persons who ordered it.

And BTW, if you accidentally come in contact with one of these things, you'll be in a world of hurt!!

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.