What is the best rice cooker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let us know how it comes out, PF.
I wonder if I can do that with my little Panasonic cooker. I'll have to Google some recipes.

Done shopping getting ready to load up the rice cooker. Morels and rice or Porcinis and rice...that's the big question! Some diced leeks and roasted red pepper.

Sounds good either way. Don't forget some petite peas, minced parsley and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Add all three towards the end of cooking to keep them fresh.

Robert

Done shopping getting ready to load up the rice cooker. Morels and rice or Porcinis and rice...that's the big question! Some diced leeks and roasted red pepper.

Perfect! Very interested if it comes out like risotto or pilaf :chef:
I'm sure it will be good either way.

I have both National & Zojirushi, both with so-called fuzzy logic, both 5 cup capacity. My everyday workhorse is the National; the "mark of the elephant" usually comes out when more rice is needed, like a dinner party. Many families around the world eat rice as the staple grain, every day, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just buy the best appliance for your particular needs, Brenna.

I recommend the Zojirushi. You'll find it also to be more versatile than just for cooking rice.

I found a new Sanyo 5.5 c.fuzzy logic cooker with all the parts in a thrift store for about $5, and have been extremely happy with it...perfect brown Basmati, perfect sushi rice, perfect white/saffron rice every time. Preset timer, second cooking pot for slow cooking and steaming. I love it. And yesterday I found an older National SR-MK10s fuzzy logic 5.5 c. used for $8, and it cleaned up like new. It needs a new pcb battery, and I even found a place online that sells the battery it needs for less than $2! One of my lower-than-my-budget friends asked me to keep an eye out for a fuzzy rice cooker for her, and she'll get the National as soon as I have the battery in it.

Last edited:
Hello, i get some new rice cooker as a gift from my mom, I really enjoy it. You can ask if interesting.

This was helpful, as I'm also considering this purchase. Has anyone attempted to use a slow cooker as a rice cooker?

Jude,

I've only put uncooked rice into my slow cooker while making soups or stews with great success. Not for cooking only rice. I have an inexpensive rice cooker to do that. My rice cooker also steams vegetables and it says it steams meat. I've used it for rice and veg and have been pleased with the result.

I'm not sure if the slow cooker would work well for steaming rice by itself... I'd look online and see if your particular slow cooker can be used to cook rice - many appliances are so different between brands.

If you do decide to try it, let us know. I'd be interested. :)

I think rice in a slow cooker would take too long and end up stewing your rice into a mushy mess. I may do a batch just to see if I'm right.

A good rice cooker takes the same amount of time as cooking on the stove, it's advantage is you can set it and forget it. It turns off when it's supposed to and some will even keep it warm for you.

what would be best rice cooker? should I go with teh vitaclay slowcooker? or should I slow cook it in a clay pot? or what would be the best way? any ideas?
Actually, it's my microwave. One mug rice, two mugs boiling water and salt, in a bowl with a plate or clingfim on top. M'wave on full for 10 minutes. Bingo, cooked to perfection every time.

(Adjust quantities and timing according to how much rice you require)

I have a little Aroma rice cooker, also very basic, but foolproof. It has a keep warm feature, and will also steam vegetables.

Last edited:
I got a Rival rice cooker on clearance at Sears. It works pretty darn well, but it does not have an auto-timer feature.

Also, I agree that if I'm not home, I'm not going to have any kind of cooking appliance running. Too dangerous.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom