"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #21
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Every meal I make, I use these to prepare.

Didya get those from Kitchen Aid or OXO?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #22
Master Chef

When I think of "kitchen gadgets", I think of little tools that fit in a drawer. I have a big flat drawer of gadgets, and these are just some of my favorites. The yellow thingy is a great gadget for cleaning shrimp, the red silicone brush sits on top of a bottle of barbeque sauce for easy basting, and the thingy with the carrot does a fantastic job of giving you perfect julienne sticks. I love the micro plane, patty maker, digital instant read thermometer, and the perfect cheese plane.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I love my "Progressive Rice Cooker". It took awhile to find the right settings and water amounts for my specific likes, but once I had them, it makes rice a easy as 1-2-3, with no film on the bottom or sides. Just perfectly cooked rice.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

I used to have that exact thermometer, Kay. Once the first battery died it started going through them like me eating chicken wings. I should have bought another one, but got a Thermapen instead. Mistake on my part.

How does the yellow thingy clean shrimp?
Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
Head Chef

I have 5 or 6 'Mucho Nacho' jalapeno plants in the garden, all producing lovely big fat peppers. I love 'atomic buffalo turds*', and so my favorite gadget right now is a thingie that looks like a potato peeler, but the edges around the blade are serrated. It is a snap to cut off the top of the peppers, zip that little guy around inside, and remove all the seeds and membrane.

I don't know what it is called--it came in a set with a rack for cooking the peppers. (I guess the rack is my second favorite gadget right now!)

* Cored, seeded jalapeno stuffed with cheese and a little smokey, wrapped in bacon and baked or grilled til the bacon is crispy.

Edited to add: it is called a jalapeno corer. Duh. Available from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_jcv7ypnf4_b
Old 08-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I've seen that jalapeņo corer on youtube before.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I used to have that exact thermometer, Kay. Once the first battery died it started going through them like me eating chicken wings. I should have bought another one, but got a Thermapen instead. Mistake on my part.

How does the yellow thingy clean shrimp?
Pac, that thermometer was kinda acting up the other day.....reading very very slowly. I wondered if I needed a new battery, but then I read to not turn it on until it's inside the meat and that did the trick.
Steve is my "shimp shucker" and he can turn out a pile of shrimp lickty split.
He inserts the pointy end under the shell splitting it, and the bottom of the pointy end is a barb that takes out the poo.
It was one of the few kitchen items I let him bring into the marriage and he said he's had it for 30 yrs or more. I've never seen anything else like it.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
He inserts the pointy end under the shell splitting it, and the bottom of the pointy end is a barb that takes out the poo.
It was one of the few kitchen items I let him bring into the marriage and he said he's had it for 30 yrs or more. I've never seen anything else like it.
Interesting.
I've taken the vein out of uncleaned shrimp before by inserting a skinny skewer into the second "joint" just far enough to catch the vein and lift it out. Then using my thumb to pinch it and remove. That's if I am cooking them in the shell. I think I need to get me one of those gadgets though. It would be nice to split the shell and make for easier peeling.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Interesting.
I've taken the vein out of uncleaned shrimp before by inserting a skinny skewer into the second "joint" just far enough to catch the vein and lift it out. Then using my thumb to pinch it and remove. That's if I am cooking them in the shell. I think I need to get me one of those gadgets though. It would be nice to split the shell and make for easier peeling.
Check it out Pac!! Looks like oxo has one.

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Shrimp Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining

Old 08-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Check it out Pac!! Looks like oxo has one.

Amazon.com: OXO Good Grips Shrimp Cleaner: Kitchen & Dining
Cool. Because it's a "gadget"... I added it to my wish list instead of the actual cart. Gonna need to think on this one

Tags
cooking