What is your favorite cooking "gadget?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I put a ziploc in a measuring cup, pour through a strainer into the ziploc, let settle, then lift the bag out and snip the corner with a pair of scissors.
That is, when I want to remove the flav... err, fat. :angel:

Michigan doesn't take returns? Or are you not from Michigan, Dawg?

don't tease the dawg when she's just returned home from her first back to work week...:)

I put a ziploc in a measuring cup, pour through a strainer into the ziploc, let settle, then lift the bag out and snip the corner with a pair of scissors.
That is, when I want to remove the flav... err, fat. :angel:

Michigan doesn't take returns? Or are you not from Michigan, Dawg?

Now that's a nifty idea Pac!
I have a really large separator I use for Thanksgiving turkey, but I hate to get it out and mess it up for a small amount of liquid/fat.

Now that's a nifty idea Pac!
I have a really large separator I use for Thanksgiving turkey, but I hate to get it out and mess it up for a small amount of liquid/fat.

I came across that idea in a shortrib recipe I make now and then. Those babies have a lot of fat!
I have to say though, my mind thought of cupboard space when I looked at those separators yesterday. Wistful thinking I guess.

vitauta said:
don't tease the dawg when she's just returned home from her first back to work week...:)

Grrrrrrrrrrr. Snarrlllllll. (bares teeth). True, dat, Vit!

I came across that idea in a shortrib recipe I make now and then. Those babies have a lot of fat!
I have to say though, my mind thought of cupboard space when I looked at those separators yesterday. Wistful thinking I guess.

When do you break ground for the new kitchen?

I wish Aunt Bea. My kitchen is the most mis-shapen thing around.

Might as well stick this under a recent "gadget" thread.
Check this thing out. I'm watching an infomercial on it right now. Stupid, low-budget infomercial, but if I lived somewhere that didn't allow me to have a grill... it does seem like a neat concept to utilize your stove burner. And Amazon even sells them :mrgreen:

It has a vortex type hole in the bottom that allows the heat from your burner to pass up through. I'll bet you could even set a piece of hardware clothe on the vortex and put some soaked wood chips on it to give your food a blast of outdoor flavor. I almost feel like getting one just to play with :wacko:

OMG! Did I just hear them say they cooked fifty chicken wings with it?!!!

Amazon.com: Grillex US-10 Indoor Brazilian Portable Barbecue Grill: Kitchen & Dining

Hah! I just saw that they already make a rack to set charcoal or wood on for flavor.

does anyone here have one of those chef's torches that they use for creme brulee, and meringues, etc. do you like it, and what other uses have you found for it? sure looks like great fun! :)

does anyone here have one of those chef's torches that they use for creme brulee, and meringues, etc. do you like it, and what other uses have you found for it? sure looks like great fun! :)

It would be less expensive for you to buy a homeowner's propane torch at the hardware store. Also, the gas is cheaper and lasts longer.

That's what I use. The same torch that I fire up the propane grill with and light the chimney charcoal starter with. Heck, I even use it to light the votive candle under my butter dish :ermm:
That one might be overkill, but since I stopped smoking I haven't had a working lighter in the house :rolleyes:

That's what I use. The same torch that I fire up the propane grill with and light the chimney charcoal starter with. Heck, I even use it to light the votive candle under my butter dish :ermm:
That one might be overkill, but since I stopped smoking I haven't had a working lighter in the house :rolleyes:

It may get that way for all of us. This spring I finally had to break down and buy, yes buy, some matches. I had finally exhausted all of my stash of old wedding and free barroom match books. Do they still have matches at weddings?

A 26.5" diameter tub that I use for cleaning my Weber 22.5" stainless cooking grate.
Available from places like ScruggsFarm.

Attachments

• HP15.JPG
    HP15.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
there is a digital pasta thermometer on the market, made by admetior, claims to temp ten different types of pasta perfectly for al dente and regular. as much as i love pasta, and as often as i cook it, getting it exactly right, the way i like it, is still pretty much hit or miss for me. if i thought this thermometer performed as advertised, taking the guesswork out of cooking pasta perfectly al dente, it would easily be worth the $25 price tag. is anyone familiar with this item? there are no customer reviews out there that i can find, so far....

i have one. i got it for cooking, but i've only used it for removing a tip eye on a fishing rod, and getting a stuck parking brake to release. but i'm sure it would help make a great carmelized topping, lol.

i've been thinking about kitchen gadgets, and my top three are my crock pot, breadmaker, and popcorn popper, in that order.
my vitamixer, oxo mandoline and salad spinner were runner ups.

Last edited:
I only have two of your top six - a blender (not a Vitamix) and a salad spinner! Actually SO came with two slow cookers but Ive never used either one. They're in the basement waiting for someone to borrow them.

vitauta said:
there is a digital pasta thermometer on the market, made by admetior, claims to temp ten different types of pasta perfectly for al dente and regular. as much as i love pasta, and as often as i cook it, getting it exactly right, the way i like it, is still pretty much hit or miss for me. if i thought this thermometer performed as advertised, taking the guesswork out of cooking pasta perfectly al dente, it would easily be worth the $25 price tag. is anyone familiar with this item? there are no customer reviews out there that i can find, so far....

I just keep tasting. Prefer the al dente. I would say save your money, your teeth are the better judge.

Back
Top Bottom