"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2011, 11:57 AM   #51
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
does anyone here have one of those chef's torches that they use for creme brulee, and meringues, etc. do you like it, and what other uses have you found for it? sure looks like great fun! :)
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #52
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
does anyone here have one of those chef's torches that they use for creme brulee, and meringues, etc. do you like it, and what other uses have you found for it? sure looks like great fun! :)

It would be less expensive for you to buy a homeowner's propane torch at the hardware store. Also, the gas is cheaper and lasts longer.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
That's what I use. The same torch that I fire up the propane grill with and light the chimney charcoal starter with. Heck, I even use it to light the votive candle under my butter dish
That one might be overkill, but since I stopped smoking I haven't had a working lighter in the house
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #54
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's what I use. The same torch that I fire up the propane grill with and light the chimney charcoal starter with. Heck, I even use it to light the votive candle under my butter dish
That one might be overkill, but since I stopped smoking I haven't had a working lighter in the house

It may get that way for all of us. This spring I finally had to break down and buy, yes buy, some matches. I had finally exhausted all of my stash of old wedding and free barroom match books. Do they still have matches at weddings?
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #55
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
A 26.5" diameter tub that I use for cleaning my Weber 22.5" stainless cooking grate.
Available from places like ScruggsFarm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HP15.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	11968  
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #56
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
there is a digital pasta thermometer on the market, made by admetior, claims to temp ten different types of pasta perfectly for al dente and regular. as much as i love pasta, and as often as i cook it, getting it exactly right, the way i like it, is still pretty much hit or miss for me. if i thought this thermometer performed as advertised, taking the guesswork out of cooking pasta perfectly al dente, it would easily be worth the $25 price tag. is anyone familiar with this item? there are no customer reviews out there that i can find, so far....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
does anyone here have one of those chef's torches that they use for creme brulee, and meringues, etc. do you like it, and what other uses have you found for it? sure looks like great fun! :)
i have one. i got it for cooking, but i've only used it for removing a tip eye on a fishing rod, and getting a stuck parking brake to release. but i'm sure it would help make a great carmelized topping, lol.

i've been thinking about kitchen gadgets, and my top three are my crock pot, breadmaker, and popcorn popper, in that order.
my vitamixer, oxo mandoline and salad spinner were runner ups.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,339
I only have two of your top six - a blender (not a Vitamix) and a salad spinner! Actually SO came with two slow cookers but Ive never used either one. They're in the basement waiting for someone to borrow them.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta
there is a digital pasta thermometer on the market, made by admetior, claims to temp ten different types of pasta perfectly for al dente and regular. as much as i love pasta, and as often as i cook it, getting it exactly right, the way i like it, is still pretty much hit or miss for me. if i thought this thermometer performed as advertised, taking the guesswork out of cooking pasta perfectly al dente, it would easily be worth the $25 price tag. is anyone familiar with this item? there are no customer reviews out there that i can find, so far....
I just keep tasting. Prefer the al dente. I would say save your money, your teeth are the better judge.
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.