"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?
Hobart Kitchenaid 5 4.20%
Kitchenaid 92 77.31%
Viking 1 0.84%
Kenwood 4 3.36%
Hobart 2 1.68%
Sunbeam 6 5.04%
Other 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2006, 09:58 PM   #131
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixerman47
Just an FYI, but KitchenAid does NOT pay celebrity chefs for endorsements, and probably more germaine to this thread, we don't buy much, if any, advertising time on Food Network.

I've seen the K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer advertised on that channel though.

~Corey123.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:38 PM   #132
Executive Chef

A student in the Culinary Arts class told me that he just bought the K'Aid Artisan model in onyx black. He said he used it to make cookie dough. He plans to make bread dough with it this weekend.

Yes Andy, that channel does tend to repeat episodes of its shows just a bit too often.

Corey123.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:58 PM   #133
Assistant Cook

Hi, folks! I've followed this thread closely as I was thinking of purchasing a new KA mixer. Based on what I've learned here, I won a Hobart/KA K5A (4450526128) on ebay a few days ago and I'm awaiting its arrival!
I have a few questions and obviously, this IS the place for the right answers.
1. What are the differences between the 5A and the 5SS? (I bid on but lost on a 5SS)
2. Which is "better"?
3.Will the 5A work with the new spiral hook?
4. is the 5A the 'narrow' or 'wide' design?
5. are there other bowls that will work...is there a 3qt for example?

As far as my intended usage, probably only occasional.

I'm not a cook.

I CAN cook...but I'm not a cook.

I've always shared in the kitchen duties but have stayed so busy and the kitchen so crowded that its been 'duty' not pleasure. Now I'm an 'empty-nester' and single, so I'm looking to belatedly indulge my cooking/baking curiosity.
As soon as the KA gets here, I will first strip it and paint it (I want Cobalt blue) then the first task is going to be to re-create the yeast rolls that I remember from lo those many years ago!

Thanks a bunch,
Ricky
(nufsed)
Old 04-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #134
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufsed
Hi, folks! I've followed this thread closely as I was thinking of purchasing a new KA mixer. Based on what I've learned here, I won a Hobart/KA K5A (4450526128) on ebay a few days ago and I'm awaiting its arrival!
I have a few questions and obviously, this IS the place for the right answers.
1. What are the differences between the 5A and the 5SS? (I bid on but lost on a 5SS)
2. Which is "better"?
3.Will the 5A work with the new spiral hook?
4. is the 5A the 'narrow' or 'wide' design?
5. are there other bowls that will work...is there a 3qt for example?

As far as my intended usage, probably only occasional.

I'm not a cook.

I CAN cook...but I'm not a cook.

I've always shared in the kitchen duties but have stayed so busy and the kitchen so crowded that its been 'duty' not pleasure. Now I'm an 'empty-nester' and single, so I'm looking to belatedly indulge my cooking/baking curiosity.
As soon as the KA gets here, I will first strip it and paint it (I want Cobalt blue) then the first task is going to be to re-create the yeast rolls that I remember from lo those many years ago!

Thanks a bunch,
Ricky
(nufsed)

Hi, nused! Welcome to Discusscooking.com!! Not to be confused with Cooking.com (Just kidding).

I think it's good that you're getting a used K'Aid Stand Mixer, and I trust that it should still work beautifully!

1. The differences between the K'Aids K5A and K5SS is that sometime during the late '70s or the early '80s, K'Aid has added a more reliable Solid State Speed Control to make the control more dependable by making it somewhat electronic.

This has been said to replace the heat-producing diodes and resisters of sorts - much like when TV makers switched from a tube-type chassis to an all-transister type one. That upgrade had prompted K'Aid to rename its then only-two Stand Mixer models to the K5SS and the slightly smaller K45SS, which were formerly named the K5A and K45A.

2. They kind of are the same to me, since some users still own the K5A and K45A.

3. I'm not sure if the K5A will work with the new spiral dough hook.

4. The bowls for the K'Aids K5A and K5SS are of the narrow design.

5. There IS a 3-qt. bowl available, but it's for the tilt-head models only. I own that one and use it for the K54SS Classic.

There IS however, a narrow 5-qt. bowl with an ergonomic handle that can be used with either the Artisan or the K5A and K5SS.

Incidently, I own both the K45SS Classic and the K5SS. And they work great!! I hope this helps.

~Corey123.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #135
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
The only KA mixers that work with the spiral dough hook are the Pro 5+, the Pro 600 and the Pro 620.

You risk damage to the mixer if you use the spiral on any other mixer. Additionaly, as the 5A is the narrow bowl design, I don't think the sprial hook would work without hitting the sides of the bowl.

The C hook does a very fine job of mixing dough

The only bowl that fits the Ka 5A is the model the mixer comes with, there is no smaller bowl that I am aware of.

I imagine you will be quite pleased with the 5A. It is a work horse model that will give you years of good service.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #136
Executive Chef

You're right, SpiceUmUp!

I never thought of that.

The bowls on the K'Aid Pro 5+, Pro 600 and the Pro 620 models ARE wider, which does allow them to accommodate the new Spiral Dough Hook easily.

And the C Hook DOES do an excellent job making bread dough. I've made so much bread dough with it that I can't even count how many times it was used.

~Corey123.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #137
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the replies! I knew this was the right place. I'm really looking forward to playing with this thing!

Ricky
Old 04-03-2006, 02:34 AM   #138
Executive Chef

You're welcome!!

I hope that your mixer works out well for you. Keep us posted on it's progress, please. Thank you.

~Corey123.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:34 PM   #139
Executive Chef

I was watching the the food show Unwrapped on the Food Network about a week or so ago.

That episode showed how K'Aid Stand Maixers are made. Pretty interesting!!
And believe it or not, every one of them are still hooked up and tested for a trial run before they are packed in their familiar boxes before they leave the factory.

They are still made in America.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #140
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Been there. The people working at the factory (which is HUGE) really seem to care about what they do and seem to take pride in their work.