"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?
Hobart Kitchenaid 5 4.20%
Kitchenaid 92 77.31%
Viking 1 0.84%
Kenwood 4 3.36%
Hobart 2 1.68%
Sunbeam 6 5.04%
Other 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #141
Executive Chef

I admit that I was wrong about K'Aid, and have come to realise that they really do make their mixers with the same quality has before when Hobart had the division.

I've just ordered the K'Aid Pearl Metallic Food Processor from Cooking.com (even though it's made in China). It should be a real winner!!

But I'd like to go there myself and take a tour. It's now a toss-up between them and Boeing. Did you have to make reservations, or did you just show up at the door unannounced? I'd love to see how things are made in America! Never add the chance to do that before.

~Corey123.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #142
Assistant Cook

I have one Kenwood stand mixer that I have had 40 years, made in UK, plus another newer Kenwood that I have had about 25 years, plus a K A, that was a gift which I don't like one bit.
and lastly I have an Electrolux Assistant, DLX2000,made in Sweden that I think is just great for all breads and heavy mixing.............. qahtan

Old 07-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #143
Executive Chef

I thought about getting the Electrolux, and I still might.

~Corey123.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:42 PM   #144
Master Chef

I ADORE my KitchenAid mixer. I have the model that lifts up, rather than the smaller tilting version. Received it as a gift from my husband in 1994 & it's still going strong.

I use it most often to whip cream & to knead dough for bread, cookies, & other baked cookies, which it performs effortlessly. Since I love Indian cooking, I particularly like the way it kneads yogurt dough for the Indian bread Naan, which both my husband & I really like.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #145
Executive Chef

I've used my K'Aid K45SS for almost 20 years and it's still going strong after all those years!! Which is why I also chose the slightly larger K'Aid K5SS to supplement the slightly smaller K45SS during heavy baking tasks.

Like making a double recipe of something, or for making large quantities of stuff.

~Corey123.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #146
Executive Chef

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by qahtan
I have one Kenwood stand mixer that I have had 40 years, made in UK, plus another newer Kenwood that I have had about 25 years, plus a K A, that was a gift which I don't like one bit.
and lastly I have an Electrolux Assistant, DLX2000,made in Sweden that I think is just great for all breads and heavy mixing.............. qahtan

I NOW HAVE the Electrolux Assistant DLX2000, and it IS a very beatifully-working mixer! I like it's amazing power, performance, construction and its shiny heavy 8-qt. SS mixer bowl!!

No other home stand mixer have this much capacity in a mixer bowl!

~Corey123.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #147
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclatechef
I am just being nosy, since I am a mixer freak! :D

Why do you like your model? If you don't like it, which one will you choose to buy later?

I'm also a mixer freak now that I own three stand mixers.

Actually, I have FOUR mixers because I also have a small hand-held one, so that I don't have to lug out one of the large ones. But the Electrolux Assistant sits next to the food processor on the dishwasher.

I use the small one for not-so-big mixing jobs like instant pudding, meringue, etc..
Old 11-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #148
Head Chef

I have a Kitchen Aid--not sure of the model--that has a 300 watt motor, a tilt head, and a 4.5 qt. bowl. I have mixed feelings about it. It performs beautifully for routine mixing tasks, and does cookie dough like a charm. However, even though it comes with a bread hook, it is a poor tool for bread dough. It has been back 3 times under warranty because the transmission failed while preparing bread dough. Once, it failed while I used a recipe supplied with the machine. Each time I sent it back, the CS rep told me I was abusing it by kneading dough, and had no answer when I said it was their own recipe and asked why they included the dough hook. They have told me that they will not cover another failure under warranty; I haven't used it for bread since then.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #149
Executive Chef

Ultra-Power KSM-90, mabye? If this is the model number, then yes, Epinions.com members have written some reviews about this particular mixer saying that they were disatisfied with it. That the machine fails in the middle of making dough.

That is totally abusive talk that they gave you!!

What are you supposed to do, just look at it and WISH that it could make dough?

If you can afford it, try getting the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000. It's a very powerful and wonderful machine, and it can make enough dough for up to 8 loaves of bread in one recipe!! I have this machine, and I can honestly tell you that it packs an aweful lot of muscle power to plow through the heaviest doughs and batters with the greatest of ease!! Even the most demanding recipe is no match for its awesome strength and power!!

It cost about $500.00 though. Not putting K'Aid down, but the particular model that you have IS known to be particularly troublesome.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #150
Head Chef

I've been looking all over the Web, Corey123, and can find no sign of the Electrolux Assistant DLX-2000 machine in the UK. Don't know if it goes by another name there, but even the electrolux.co.uk Web site doesn't list it, or even any other mixer as far as I can see. Shame. Sounded like just my cup of tea.