"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?
Hobart Kitchenaid 5 4.20%
Kitchenaid 92 77.31%
Viking 1 0.84%
Kenwood 4 3.36%
Hobart 2 1.68%
Sunbeam 6 5.04%
Other 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2004, 03:01 PM   #31
Master Chef

see a few K45 up for sale on Ebay......is there a huge difference between that and a 5 quart? I'll still use my bread machine for bread making.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #32

If you get a K45, you have a better chance of getting a color if that is what you wish. Hobart made some of them in a few colors.

I like the 5 quart more than the K45 because I like the bowl lift mechanism better than tilt back, they have more power, and of course more capacity. I also like the hot/cold water jacket you can use on the 5 qt, but can't get for the smaller mixer.

I like the additional power also for running the attachments like the meat grinder, flour mill, etc.

Old 10-27-2004, 03:12 PM   #33
Master Chef

hmmmm....I think I better stick with the 5 quart then. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-27-2004, 03:14 PM   #34

:D You are sincerely welcome sizzlinin!

Tell us when you get your mixer! We will do a victory dance!
Old 10-29-2004, 07:48 AM   #35

My friend's Hobart Kitchenaid 5 qt mixer arrived yesterday!!!!!!!

Her family is freaking out! They are worried at the "massive size" and are intimated by it I think.

My friend is happy though. She is not really into more than baking cakes and pies. I am hoping to get her into the breads, rolls, and cookie doughs that will show her family why you get a heavy duty mixer rather than a lightweight one!

Any advice for my Friend?
Old 10-29-2004, 07:50 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

go buy a boatload of flour!
Old 10-29-2004, 08:11 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audeo
After undoubtedly tiring of my complaining about my ancient Sunbeam Mixmaster and whining about my sister's KA, dear husband bought me a KA Pro 6. What I love about it is its huge capacity (6 quarts) and 525w. motor, moreover the improvements that have been made in the paddle and hook attachments and a much improved shield over my sister's artisan. And thanks to a few pals here who explained that I needn't fear burning up my motor making bread all the time, I have since nixed the bread machine and have it waiting in the garage for the next garage sale.

Nothing can possibly replace this jewel...and nothing will likely ever need to.
I've got the same model in the color black. My parents gave it to me for Christmas two years ago. I use it CONSTANTLY for bread making as well. My Godson has food allregies. Unkie RJ makes him his bread. :)

RJ
Old 10-30-2004, 01:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilasman1
I have a ka Pro 6 qt that i got for around $200 refurbished. I've had it for 3 years now and haven't had a problem with it. If I were going to get another mixer, And I am pondering it , cause I want a set of KA in a color, probably yellow, I would get the largest most powerful tilt head that KA made at the time. The issue i have with my bowl lift model is scraping cake batter down from the sides of the bowl. I think it might be easier with a tilt head.
Mind you , I wouldnt trade my pro 6 because i like the power and the capacity. But if they made a big tilt head and if it held up as well as this 6qt does it might move me to get it. But I dont think those 2 if's will ever come to pass.
Hey! I saw you on the Kitchenaid Conversations forum, didn't I! You were asking about your mixer!
Old 10-31-2004, 09:50 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Yes I was in kitchen aid conversations and I am also lurking in eguller when I can find the time to get away from here
Old 11-02-2004, 07:12 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input on this topic. I've wanted a Kitchen Aid for soooo long. Each Christmas I tell hubby thats what I want but end up changing my mind numerous times. Anyway, this year I def. want it and I'm telling him no matter what I say thats what I want. I've decided that I'm going to try to locate a KA 5 qt made by Hobart. Oh I'm so excited.....thank godness Christmas is only a few short months away.

I found one on Ebay! A yellow one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...61637&rd=1