"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?
Hobart Kitchenaid 5 4.20%
Kitchenaid 92 77.31%
Viking 1 0.84%
Kenwood 4 3.36%
Hobart 2 1.68%
Sunbeam 6 5.04%
Other 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2004, 09:38 AM   #41
Head Chef

Choclatechef, I can't tell you how much I've learned about my KA and certainly Hobarts because of you! Thank you so much!!!

And Ardge, since I learned from folks here not to worry about my motor being able to handle any strain my home kitchen can dish out, I now use mine for every bread dough I make. The darned thing works sooooo much better than that silly bread "machine" I refused to let go of! And it has really helped me improve my pasta dough, too.

I love my KitchenAid....!!!!!

Old 11-02-2004, 10:04 AM   #42

You are very welcome Audeo! I love to share and learn information on this subject!

I just learned just today, that there was at one time; a peanut butter grinder attachment and a pulley attachment to joist big sacks of flour into the flour container in Hoosier cabinets!

I find old Hobarts and old Kitchenaids fascinating!

Old 11-02-2004, 01:32 PM   #43
Master Chef

Kitchenaid Pro -- navy blue
Old 11-02-2004, 04:17 PM   #44
Master Chef

Don't want to say "I told ya' so Audeo" ... but ...
Old 11-02-2004, 04:52 PM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Don't want to say "I told ya' so Audeo" ... but ...
No problema, pal! I'm old enough not to mind it in the least! Besides, I am sooooo glad that you did!!! :D
Old 11-02-2004, 06:55 PM   #46
Senior Cook

The latest issue of Fine Cooking had a stand mixer roundup, comparing all the major brands.

Best all-round: KitchenAid Professional 5 Plus
Best value: Hamilton Beach Eclectrics
Greatest strength: Viking Professional

Delonghi and Sunbeam came in with honorable mention. (Ok, but not the best) Jenn Air, Bosch, Electrolux, and Farberware sucked.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #47
Assistant Cook

I want one

Hi,

I've been reading the posts about different mixers. I've been looking at getting a KA (Pro 600) but now am thinking about getting an old KA/Hobart model.

I've never used any of these kind of mixers and am nervous about getting one that doesn't even have an owners manual. If I do get one of these, how easy will it be to figure it all out? Are the instructions the same as in a KA?, not that that would help me any.

I want to make 100% whole wheat bread. How many loaves can I make in say a 5 quart model? I have 6 children and a husband and go through a lot of bread a week. Can these old models handle more wheat flour than the KA?' They can't handle any more than 8 cups, according to KA.

If the machine is already 20 years old, what are the chances of it going another 20 years, or 10?

Is there any way to get attachment for it? I take it KA's won't fit.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2004, 08:44 PM   #48
Master Chef

Humm .. where to begin ...

I love the Pro 600 ... unfortunately it came out a couple of years after I got my Pro 6. If you buy a new KA or Hobart - you'll get a manual.

100% whole wheat bread is going to be a little coarse, tough and dry. If you use 2 cups whole wheat and 4 cups unbleached bread flour (makes 2 1-lb loaves) - it will come out about like the "wheat bread" you get at the store. A 5-qt Hobart/Artisan model KA will make about 2 1-lb loaves of bread - a 6-qt KA can make about 3 1-lb loaves.

As for attachments - the old Hobart made KA attachments are a #10 size - the same as the new Whirlpool made KA's - but they are measured in inches. When Hobart made them they were all metal - the new KA stuff is partly plastic.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:30 AM   #49

Re: I want one

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikken007
Hi,

I've been reading the posts about different mixers. I've been looking at getting a KA (Pro 600) but now am thinking about getting an old KA/Hobart model.

I've never used any of these kind of mixers and am nervous about getting one that doesn't even have an owners manual. If I do get one of these, how easy will it be to figure it all out? Are the instructions the same as in a KA?, not that that would help me any.

I want to make 100% whole wheat bread. How many loaves can I make in say a 5 quart model? I have 6 children and a husband and go through a lot of bread a week. Can these old models handle more wheat flour than the KA?' They can't handle any more than 8 cups, according to KA.

If the machine is already 20 years old, what are the chances of it going another 20 years, or 10?

Is there any way to get attachment for it? I take it KA's won't fit.

Thanks
You can get a owner's manual by going here, http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/default.asp; and asking one of the moderators to send you one. Or, you can often find them on Ebay.

No, the old 5 quart models can not handle more than 8 cups of flour.

If the machine is old, the chances are, with good care and service at a Hobart service repair shop, it will go one indefinitely. You will probaby be able to pass it down to your grandchildren. There are many old Hobart mixers still running fine from the 1930's. The problem of it "not going on" is of not getting service at a Hobart service shop. The one I go to say they never get a Hobart Kitchenaid mixer in they can't repair. They only have problems with a Whirlpool machine, because they are not built with the quality parts of the Hobart mixers -- thus not being worth repairing.

The only people who say that the new Kitchenaid attachments don't work or may not work on a older machine, is Whirlpool Kitchenaid. They are trying to get people to buy their new mixers, and it is not true.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 PM   #50
Assistant Cook

I own a Kitchenaid. Basically satisfied, but it seems to struggle through large batches of stiff dough. No complaints with attachments. Would go with a Hobart Kitchenaid next, its sturdier and more powerful for large quantities of mixing.