"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
View Poll Results: What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?
Hobart Kitchenaid 5 4.20%
Kitchenaid 92 77.31%
Viking 1 0.84%
Kenwood 4 3.36%
Hobart 2 1.68%
Sunbeam 6 5.04%
Other 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2004, 12:13 AM   #51
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I really enjoy my KitchenAid Professional 6 mixer. I gotta find a meat grinding attachment soon!!!

Old 03-22-2005, 03:16 AM   #52
Cook

I have been reading this thread, and I find your information to be very useful and informative, choclatechef. I am a contimplating the possibility of adding a used Hobart N-50 to my mixer collection, and perhaps getting used Hobart KitchenAid to give to a relative.

As for my stand mixers, I have a Berkel PM-10 (a commercial unit) and a Sunbeam Heritage. I use the Berkel for heavy mixing such as cookie dough and breads. I mainly use the Sunbeam for cake mixes, batters, and whipped topping. The machine I like most, though, is the Berkel. It mixes up stiff doughs for french bread and pizza effortlessly. The same goes with cookie dough, the machine goes through it as if it were cake batter. With that commercial machine, I get a great deal of enjoyment and gratification out of my baking hobby, and it saves me a lot of money. The mixer costed me less then a good set of golf clubs, and I don't have to spend money on gas for driving, except for a trip to the grocery store of course.

MrCoffee

Old 03-22-2005, 12:11 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Wonder if the new spiral dough hook that comes with the pro 600 would work with all 6 qts?
Old 03-22-2005, 01:40 PM   #54
Cook

Don't use a spiral dough hook with a KitchenAid that comes with a C-type hook. If you have anything other then a Pro 600 in a six quart, and you try to use a spiral dough hook, you will wear out some internal parts prematurely. Whirlpool did some experiments with spiral dough hooks on their regular mixers, and it shortened the life expectancy of the test mixers considerably.

MrCoffee
Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee
Don't use a spiral dough hook with a KitchenAid that comes with a C-type hook. If you have anything other then a Pro 600 in a six quart, and you try to use a spiral dough hook, you will wear out some internal parts prematurely. Whirlpool did some experiments with spiral dough hooks on their regular mixers, and it shortened the life expectancy of the test mixers considerably.

MrCoffee
Hey MrCoffee! What's happening friend! I am leoladysw on the Kitchenaid forum!!

It is great to see you here!
Old 03-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:

MrCoffee
That's good to know, maybe I just need the whole mixer.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:50 PM   #57
Cook

Small world, ain't it! I am doing quite fine here, and it's nice to see an old friend from the KitchenAid forums...

MrCoffee
Old 03-22-2005, 01:55 PM   #58
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcooks
That's good to know, maybe I just need the whole mixer.
Ah yes. You can never have too many mixers. And you can get one of them Pro 600s for less then half the cost of a tux. So why not? Cave into temptation, momcooks. Indulge in the ultimate luxury that will save you some money. Get the 600!

MrCoffee

(And then get an N-50, then a Sunbeam Model 12, and then....)
Old 03-22-2005, 02:12 PM   #59
Senior Cook

Quote:
Ah yes. You can never have too many mixers. And you can get one of them Pro 600s for less then half the cost of a tux. So why not? Cave into temptation, momcooks. Indulge in the ultimate luxury that will save you some money. Get the 600!

MrCoffee

(And then get an N-50, then a Sunbeam Model 12, and then....)
I can tell you're not my hubby! It is 50 more watts of power too. I've see the N-50s in the Hobart store in Salt Lake, Utah. They look pretty nice, even have a decent variety of colors. I'd have to go into business to get away with spending that much money on one!
Old 03-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcooks
I can tell you're not my hubby! It is 50 more watts of power too. I've see the N-50s in the Hobart store in Salt Lake, Utah. They look pretty nice, even have a decent variety of colors. I'd have to go into business to get away with spending that much money on one!
Not if you get a good used one on Ebay like I did!

Mine was the first run -- 1947!!!! Still going strong.

I have seen N-50s go as low as $150, but most run about 200-300 on ebay.