What Kind of Stand Mixer is in Your Kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What Brand of Stand Mixer Do You Own?

• Total voters
I've had my Kitchenaid for 8 years now and I love it. It gets used just about every week. I have the 350 watt professional series. LUV it.

Paula Dean just used a K'Aid tilt-head Stand Mixer on her cooking show Paula's Home Cooking, but the K'Aid name was covered up. Come on now, everyone knows that's a K'Aid mixer!

It's impossible to hide that familiar shape and sound of the motor. The same thing happened once on Good Eats with Alton Brown. He was using and exotically painted K'Aid machine to make pound cake.

But I know why they do that. to hide the identity of the company's products.

I just used my new K'Aid K5SS yesterday to make a 7up pound cake. It's dense, but boy, it's just out of this world! Real buttery and lemony flavored. I'm going to go get another slice right now!!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I've not noticed Paula Deen's KA, but Alton Brown's is a licorice with custom flames. Yeah, you can't mistake the product. I love my Pro 6.

I can't tell you what model my KA is, but it's a wonderful machine, and I have a lot of the attachments that go with it. I guess I use the meat grinder and the juicer/strainer the most.
But I still have a cheap, light-weight, little hand mixer for things like mashed potatoes, puddings and the like.

I really like Alton Brown. He's definately an individualist. Reminds me a lot of my brainy cousin. I've tried a few of his recipes, and have not been disappointed.

phinz said:
I've not noticed Paula Deen's KA, but Alton Brown's is a licorice with custom flames. Yeah, you can't mistake the product. I love my Pro 6.

Paula's machine was either a chrome or stainless steel model. But there's mo mistaking that shape!

Alton's brainy 13-year-old nephew also appeared in a few of the episodes. In one of them, they make mac & cheese in different variations together.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
What I like about Alton is that he explains *why* you do the things you do, such as letting your dough rest, or slowly drizzling in oil instead of just dumping it in.

Yes, and Paula and her sons have that deep, deep Southern accent that is so delightful!

And BTW, sorry that I didn't mention this in time yesterday, but the Food Network IS running biography specials all this week at 8pm on their celebrity chefs.

Emeril was on last night, tonight is Paula's turn. Sorry though, they left out Alton Brown. But I think they'll repeat those this weekend!

~Corey123.

Just an FYI, but KitchenAid does NOT pay celebrity chefs for endorsements, and probably more germaine to this thread, we don't buy much, if any, advertising time on Food Network.

KA Artisan?

Does anyone have the kitchen aid Artisan model? I was originally attracted to it b/c of the colors it comes in, but im wondering about the quality of them. Thanks

Mixerman47 said:
Just an FYI, but KitchenAid does NOT pay celebrity chefs for endorsements, and probably more germaine to this thread, we don't buy much, if any, advertising time on Food Network.

I've seen the K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer advertised on that channel though.

~Corey123.

A student in the Culinary Arts class told me that he just bought the K'Aid Artisan model in onyx black. He said he used it to make cookie dough. He plans to make bread dough with it this weekend.

Yes Andy, that channel does tend to repeat episodes of its shows just a bit too often.

Corey123.

Last edited:
Hi, folks! I've followed this thread closely as I was thinking of purchasing a new KA mixer. Based on what I've learned here, I won a Hobart/KA K5A (4450526128) on ebay a few days ago and I'm awaiting its arrival!
I have a few questions and obviously, this IS the place for the right answers.
1. What are the differences between the 5A and the 5SS? (I bid on but lost on a 5SS)
2. Which is "better"?
3.Will the 5A work with the new spiral hook?
4. is the 5A the 'narrow' or 'wide' design?
5. are there other bowls that will work...is there a 3qt for example?

As far as my intended usage, probably only occasional.

I'm not a cook.

I CAN cook...but I'm not a cook.

I've always shared in the kitchen duties but have stayed so busy and the kitchen so crowded that its been 'duty' not pleasure. Now I'm an 'empty-nester' and single, so I'm looking to belatedly indulge my cooking/baking curiosity.
As soon as the KA gets here, I will first strip it and paint it (I want Cobalt blue) then the first task is going to be to re-create the yeast rolls that I remember from lo those many years ago!

Thanks a bunch,
Ricky
(nufsed)

nufsed said:
Hi, folks! I've followed this thread closely as I was thinking of purchasing a new KA mixer. Based on what I've learned here, I won a Hobart/KA K5A (4450526128) on ebay a few days ago and I'm awaiting its arrival!
I have a few questions and obviously, this IS the place for the right answers.
1. What are the differences between the 5A and the 5SS? (I bid on but lost on a 5SS)
2. Which is "better"?
3.Will the 5A work with the new spiral hook?
4. is the 5A the 'narrow' or 'wide' design?
5. are there other bowls that will work...is there a 3qt for example?

As far as my intended usage, probably only occasional.

I'm not a cook.

I CAN cook...but I'm not a cook.

I've always shared in the kitchen duties but have stayed so busy and the kitchen so crowded that its been 'duty' not pleasure. Now I'm an 'empty-nester' and single, so I'm looking to belatedly indulge my cooking/baking curiosity.
As soon as the KA gets here, I will first strip it and paint it (I want Cobalt blue) then the first task is going to be to re-create the yeast rolls that I remember from lo those many years ago!

Thanks a bunch,
Ricky
(nufsed)

Hi, nused! Welcome to Discusscooking.com!! Not to be confused with Cooking.com (Just kidding).

I think it's good that you're getting a used K'Aid Stand Mixer, and I trust that it should still work beautifully!

1. The differences between the K'Aids K5A and K5SS is that sometime during the late '70s or the early '80s, K'Aid has added a more reliable Solid State Speed Control to make the control more dependable by making it somewhat electronic.

This has been said to replace the heat-producing diodes and resisters of sorts - much like when TV makers switched from a tube-type chassis to an all-transister type one. That upgrade had prompted K'Aid to rename its then only-two Stand Mixer models to the K5SS and the slightly smaller K45SS, which were formerly named the K5A and K45A.

2. They kind of are the same to me, since some users still own the K5A and K45A.

3. I'm not sure if the K5A will work with the new spiral dough hook.

4. The bowls for the K'Aids K5A and K5SS are of the narrow design.

5. There IS a 3-qt. bowl available, but it's for the tilt-head models only. I own that one and use it for the K54SS Classic.

There IS however, a narrow 5-qt. bowl with an ergonomic handle that can be used with either the Artisan or the K5A and K5SS.

Incidently, I own both the K45SS Classic and the K5SS. And they work great!! I hope this helps.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
The only KA mixers that work with the spiral dough hook are the Pro 5+, the Pro 600 and the Pro 620.

You risk damage to the mixer if you use the spiral on any other mixer. Additionaly, as the 5A is the narrow bowl design, I don't think the sprial hook would work without hitting the sides of the bowl.

The C hook does a very fine job of mixing dough

The only bowl that fits the Ka 5A is the model the mixer comes with, there is no smaller bowl that I am aware of.

I imagine you will be quite pleased with the 5A. It is a work horse model that will give you years of good service.

Last edited:
You're right, SpiceUmUp!

I never thought of that.

The bowls on the K'Aid Pro 5+, Pro 600 and the Pro 620 models ARE wider, which does allow them to accommodate the new Spiral Dough Hook easily.

And the C Hook DOES do an excellent job making bread dough. I've made so much bread dough with it that I can't even count how many times it was used.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I knew this was the right place. I'm really looking forward to playing with this thing!

Ricky

You're welcome!!

I hope that your mixer works out well for you. Keep us posted on it's progress, please. Thank you.

~Corey123.

I was watching the the food show Unwrapped on the Food Network about a week or so ago.

That episode showed how K'Aid Stand Maixers are made. Pretty interesting!!
And believe it or not, every one of them are still hooked up and tested for a trial run before they are packed in their familiar boxes before they leave the factory.

They are still made in America.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom