What kitchen range do you love?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Mad Cook, thank you for your comments. Almost 10 years ago I rented a self catering apartment in Sparrowpit in Derbyshire for 2 weeks. The owner of the rental invited my cousin and me to her house for dinner. She had an Aga. I took many photos it it! I had never seen anything like it before.
Oh, I would love an Aga but it proably wouldn't be very practical in a town residence. They originated in Scandinavia I think and they go on and on for ever. A friend lives in a rented farm cottage in Wiltshire and when she moved in 5 years ago the owner told her that the Aga was fairly new......It was only installed in 1952!!

Sparrowpit isn't that far from me - about 12 miles as the crow flies.

LOL

Thank you for your thoughtful reply!

For those who replied with the Maytag, Samsung, and Jenn-Air preferences, can you tell me what model you have used? In the past, I have baked a lot, so am interested in the baking qualities of the range.

I am only interested in 30 inch, residential ranges. I have access to a commercial grade gas range at the community house where I will be building.

Thanks for your comments!
Sorry, Beth, I rambled on because over here in the UK a range cooker is one with umpteen burners and ovens, etc. I didn't realise you were looking for a small cooker.

And it is always well to end comments like these with the truth that the quality of the results does not depend on the heat source nor the cookware.
Yes, I agree that a great cooker won't make a great cook out of a dreadful one but a good cook is vastly helped by a good cooker. Trying to cook a three course meal for 20 people like my grandmother used to do at Christmas is certainly easier on a big modern cooker than on her ancient one oven, three burner cooker

chopper, your stove looks a lot like mine. The back middle burner is for keeping food warm on mine. Is that what yours is?

That is the stove I had when we lived in a rental in Hamilton, MT. That stove did everything but go out and kill the chicken for you.

Ain't that the truth PF! My mom's even had a well for slow cooking things like New England Boiled Dinner. It's the stove I learned to cook on,and I just loved that thing.

Hi Mad Cook, thank you for your comments. Almost 10 years ago I rented a self catering apartment in Sparrowpit in Derbyshire for 2 weeks. The owner of the rental invited my cousin and me to her house for dinner. She had an Aga. I took many photos it it! I had never seen anything like it before.
My down to earth but well heeled neighbor swears by her dual fuel AGA.

That looks nice Chopper...so, what are you going to cook on your summer vacation?:)

Ooooh. Nice, Chopper! I have a GE glasstop, so easy to keep clean! You get an extra burner!

One of "my" kids did warn me, don't sit on it.

chopper, your stove looks a lot like mine. The back middle burner is for keeping food warm on mine. Is that what yours is?

Thanks PF! I can't wait to use it. I will cook all sorts of things I am sure! I'm excited!

Thanks Dawg! I have a smooth top now, and I love it. You are right, it is so nice to keep clean. I love that it has the warming burner in the middle back. Just a perk for me, I didn't go looking for that.

Lindalu, yes the burner in the back is for keeping things warm. Do you use it much? D you like your range?

Just saw the part about "don't sit on it" Dawg! Too funny! Good thing they told you that, because you just might have done that! :ROFLMAO:

I would love to have a gas stove. But alas. This building is not piped for gas and it is considered too dangerous for the elderly. Loose sleeves hanging over an open flame. So we have electric. Not the first time with it. So I am used to it. The one thing I do like about electric is that the broiler is in the oven, not below it. :angel:

I prefer a wall mounted electric oven. Baked goods come out better for me in an electric (non convection oven) and it's easier to peer in to see what's going on. I also prefer an electric cook top. Anyone who can cook on a coal or wood fired cook's stove should find cooking on electric quite easy. Unfortunately, I suspect your HOA might frown on your having a 10kw backup generator. If they do, I guess your freezer, refrigerator, and concrete slab could be in peril, but a two burner Coleman propane camp stove has stood us in good stead when I was too lazy to fire up our 7kw portable generator. For longer outages, I've been able to keep the essentials (well pump, furnace, freezer, fridge, cooktop, and lighting) going. Biggest problem has been having an adequate supply of generator fuel on hand. Fuel (and gunpowder!:D) storage can be a problem when outbuildings are verboten). Your choice of appliances may have some impact on your wiring requirements and the amperage of your electric service.
GE calrod heating elements have a reasonably long service life, are currently readily available and reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom