"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 06-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Smile What size rice cooker? 6 or 10 cup?

Hello everyone.

I'm looking at getting a cuckoo rice cooker. I'm wondering if I should get a 6 or a 10 cup model. I'll mostly be cooking for my self, but could be cooking for 4-5 people from time to time (once every 1-2 weeks). What size cooker would you recommend? I'm about 145lb 5'9" 24 year old male.

RiceFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Welcome to DC, John!

Hmmm. I don't have a rice cooker, but bigger is usually better. Others who know will weigh in shortly.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Great. Thanks for the greeting. I look forward to being part of the community. I look forward to hearing from the other members.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
Six cups of rice should serve 10-12 people. Also, the 10 cup model may have a minimum quantity that is more than you will eat alone.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
On the otherhand...some 10 cup ricecookers have a steamer function, making it a more versatile appliance.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
Great. The cooker I'm looking at is a pressure/steamer/induction heated cooker by cuckoo (쿠쿠). Thanks for the input. I was leaning tward the 6 cup, so it's nice to know it would feed that many.
Here is the one:
Cuckoo Rice Cooker | CRP-HF0610F (Ivory/Silver)

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post back how it works out if I do in fact pull the trigger on this thing.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Head Chef
Wow, $300 is quite an investment. My 5 cup fuzzy-logic Zojirushi has a minimum 2 cup recommendation. For a single household, you'll probably be freezing. Leaving the cooker on warm overnight sucks a lot of energy/money.
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Sous Chef
Cuckoos are nice cookers. Good choice. I have a Sanyo micom 5.5 cup rice cooker that cooks different kinds of rice, different ways, steams, has a porridge setting and a 24 hour timer. Even doubles as a slow cooker. Not pressurized, though. I usually cook for one or two, but make more than I need. 5.5 cups will probably be enough for 8-10 people unless rice is all you're serving. Leftover rice is never a problem, as I like rice pudding and fried rice, and can always add leftover rice to soup. For me, the capacity wasn't a consideration, as I wouldn't have been able to afford the thing had I not found one in a thrift store, as new, possibly used once, clean as a whistle and with all the parts and pieces save the plastic rice paddle and rice paddle holder. It's OK, I have a nice bamboo rice paddle, works just fine.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #9
Head Chef
Hi John,
Welcome to DC.

Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Sous Chef
I have a 3 cup cooker for us but I don't always it full. If you buy an appliance with such a large capacity, make sure you can make less without the rice burning or otherwise getting ruined.

MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote