What size rice cooker? 6 or 10 cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiceFan

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone.

I'm looking at getting a cuckoo rice cooker. I'm wondering if I should get a 6 or a 10 cup model. I'll mostly be cooking for my self, but could be cooking for 4-5 people from time to time (once every 1-2 weeks). What size cooker would you recommend? I'm about 145lb 5'9" 24 year old male.

Thanks!

-John

Welcome to DC, John!

Hmmm. I don't have a rice cooker, but bigger is usually better. Others who know will weigh in shortly.

Great. Thanks for the greeting. I look forward to being part of the community. I look forward to hearing from the other members.

Six cups of rice should serve 10-12 people. Also, the 10 cup model may have a minimum quantity that is more than you will eat alone.

On the otherhand...some 10 cup ricecookers have a steamer function, making it a more versatile appliance.

Great. The cooker I'm looking at is a pressure/steamer/induction heated cooker by cuckoo (쿠쿠). Thanks for the input. I was leaning tward the 6 cup, so it's nice to know it would feed that many.
Here is the one:
Cuckoo Rice Cooker | CRP-HF0610F (Ivory/Silver)

Thanks again. I'll be sure to post back how it works out if I do in fact pull the trigger on this thing.

-John

Wow, $300 is quite an investment. My 5 cup fuzzy-logic Zojirushi has a minimum 2 cup recommendation. For a single household, you'll probably be freezing. Leaving the cooker on warm overnight sucks a lot of energy/money.

Cuckoos are nice cookers. Good choice. I have a Sanyo micom 5.5 cup rice cooker that cooks different kinds of rice, different ways, steams, has a porridge setting and a 24 hour timer. Even doubles as a slow cooker. Not pressurized, though. I usually cook for one or two, but make more than I need. 5.5 cups will probably be enough for 8-10 people unless rice is all you're serving. Leftover rice is never a problem, as I like rice pudding and fried rice, and can always add leftover rice to soup. For me, the capacity wasn't a consideration, as I wouldn't have been able to afford the thing had I not found one in a thrift store, as new, possibly used once, clean as a whistle and with all the parts and pieces save the plastic rice paddle and rice paddle holder. It's OK, I have a nice bamboo rice paddle, works just fine.

Last edited:
I have a 3 cup cooker for us but I don't always it full. If you buy an appliance with such a large capacity, make sure you can make less without the rice burning or otherwise getting ruined.

I'd go with the smaller unit.

I had a 10 cup Krups rice cooker I bought at the local Le Gourmet Chef we lost our lease sale. It also steamed and slow cooked. I never used it to full capacity for the 10 years I owned it. After 10 or so years it finally wore out and started shutting off before the rice was cooked, so I went shopping for a new one. I ended up buying another Krups, only this one was 5 cup capacity. It also steams and slow cooks, and in addition it makes oatmeal! I have found I don't miss the extra 5 cup capacity, my rice seems to cook faster in the smaller unit, and the other functions works just as well as the old 10 cup rice cooker did, but I do have to admit that I have never made oatmeal in it.

BTW, that is an awful lot of money to spend on a rice cooker. You can get the Krups unit, and I have never found any appliances of any kind more reliable than Krups, for between $65 and $80 American depending on where you shop.

Had the same question myself. I went with the 10 cup model for a few reasons:

1) The minimum capacity for the 6 cup models is still 2 cups of rice. The same for the 10 cup model. At least that is how they are marked on the pictures of the pot and the manuals I downloaded for the 6 cup models. I do not have experience making one cup in either size

2) The Cuckoo's multi cook function allows you to use it as a electric pressure cooker and I wanted the added capacity for that

3) The new Cuckoo CRP-HW1087F has an English voice guide.

It is big on the counter and expensive. Well, is it expensive if you use it everyday for 5 to 10 years?? About 25 cents a use

Last edited by a moderator:
3) The new Cuckoo CRP-HW1087F has an English voice guide.
That alone is enough to make want to run--not walk--away screaming!

I have enough problems with my GPS chattering at me. "Recalculating... Recalculating..."

It's a freakin' rice cooker! :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all the feed back! Well, I pulled the trigger on the Cuckoo 6 cup model: Cuckoo Rice Cooker | CRP-HF0615F (Ivory/Bronze)

I know it's a big investment, but I hope to use it everyday, for a long time. It looks like a quality machine. The manual is in English and so are the buttons. It looks to be the crem-de-la-crem, or at-least as high as I want to go. :)

I'll let you know how it works out. :)

fighting! :)

-John

Wow, my $6 rice cooking bowl that I use in the microwave is really out dated. I'm not so sure 6 cups of cooked rice would feed 12 of the guys that come to my house. That's 1/2 cup each. It takes more than a 1/2 cup to grow them 6'3", 210 pounds so I would have to add a side or two of beef to the menu and 10 pounds of baked potatoes.

I wound up buying an Aroma 20 cup rice cooker a few months ago and I love having the extra room. It's just myself and husband right now but I find that I'm usually making far more rice to freeze for later.

My dear Aroma cooker was about 25 or 30 dollars on sale and has done just as well as a 200 dollar cooker a friend of mine has. It's been getting a workout lately and easily gets used four times a week, especially with summer blazing and our lack of air conditioning. Being able to use the steaming basket is also very handy and cuts down my stove top time by an hour or more on average.

Since rice is so easy to cook and so inexpensive I don't quite understand the concept of cooking more than you need (and freezing it) particularly considering that a rice cooker is so easy to use, and that I've never found reheated rice to be as freshly cooked rice.

I usually make fried rice next day with any unused rice. I'm pretty sure that's why fried rice was invented, the best way to use next day rice.

I bought my Cuisinart rice cooker to cook rice but I was pleasantly surprised with the steamer basket which is a set and forget way of having steamed vegetables with dinner. Just cut the vegetables, add water to the basket, then at the right stage of preparing dinner just push the button and the vegetables are ready about 15-20 minutes later. Really nice for entertaining.

Since rice is so easy to cook and so inexpensive I don't quite understand the concept of cooking more than you need (and freezing it)

Mostly my reason is because if I'm out of the house and my husband can't cook something in 5 minutes he'll just heat up cup o noodles. This way he can toss it into the wok, add a couple chopped veggies and do it in 5.

Plus, I have a very horrid memory and I usually forget to cook the simplest thing, usually the rice or pasta.

Back
Top Bottom