What type of range do you have or prefer at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Catseye said:
Am I crazy, or is there such a thing as a unit with a gas stovetop and electric oven? Seems I've seen reference to such ... I'd like to google it, but I don't know what it's called. Do you know?
Cats

Congrats on the DIY, Cats. You are not crazy. HH and I just went back to Home Depot to gaze longingly at this Jenn-Air (i.e., Maytag) stove that had 5 gas burners and two electric convection ovens. To use this beast we would have to cut too many holes in the wall to bring up the powerline for the ovens, so for now we have reluctantly decided to forget it.

[quote="mudbug]HH and I just went back to Home Depot to gaze longingly at this Jenn-Air (i.e., Maytag) stove that had 5 gas burners and two electric convection ovens. To use this beast we would have to cut too many holes in the wall to bring up the powerline for the ovens, so for now we have reluctantly decided to forget it.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Mudbug. Do you remember what name the beast went by, and what it cost? And do you know if convection is the only type of oven available with the gas stovetop?

Aren't you sorry you started this? :D

Cats

i want an antique chamber's stove. my parents had one when i was growing up. it is a gas stove, with the coolest griddle/broiler tray on left side of the top, next to the burners. on the top surface is a griddle. but if you crank a handle on the front, the griddle raises up to reveal a broiler compartment. my mom made the best broiled foods in it, and the best pancakes and eggs on the top.

Growing up, my parents house had gas. When I moved into my own place I had gas. This was all before I found my love of cooking. As soon as I started to really cook I moved into a place that had electric. So I really learned on electric. I want gas, but we can't have it in my neighborhood so I have to stick with what I have. Since it is what I learned on I am very used to it and have no problems using it.

Thanks very much, Mikegeorge! See, I knew it would be called by some name I'd never think of on my own.

Off I go.

Cats

That is really nice Ishbel! Many of those cookers with the wok burner are so huge!

Here in The Netherlands gas top and electric oven are pretty standard for a stove. We have a built in (fitted) kitchen, so we could choose whatever we wanted. All the units come separately.

My American family was amazed that my dishwasher was "in one of the cupboards". It really just has the same kind of front as the cupboard doors.

Pam

Yes, I spent ages looking at cookers to replace the Aga when we refitted a while back.... the wok burner is used a LOT! I chose a gas oven, too - although the saleman tried to persuade me to go with gas burners/electric ovens - but I don't like cooking on electric - so I insisted on the gas oven, too!

My kitchen is fitted - and my dishwasher, fridge and washing machine are hidden by having the same doors fixed to them as the rest of the cupboards -'built-in' appliances as we call them. It just makes the kitchen looks so much 'cleaner' not to see all the white goods on display.

My sister thought it was very odd that I didn't have a washing machine - and when I said it was built in behind one of the unit doors, she asked how I managed to put clothes into the machine... I had forgotten that in Australia (where she lives) the vast majority of washing machines are top-loading, whilst here they are front loading... 8)

Our washing machine is in the attic. Dutch kitchens can be very small.

I am saving my pennies for one of those double refrigerators. The one we have now is 60 centimeters wide. Too small for 5 people.

Pam

ps our washing machines are also front loading.

I'm lucky - my house was built in the days when there was a kitchen with a walk in pantry and a scullery - which is now one large kitchen. In the main, most UK houses have small kitchen - which is why so many people knock down adjoining walls to make a larger kitchen/dining room.

You are lucky! We live in a modern row (terraced?) house. We have an open kitchen, bordering the dining/living area. Of course I have my dream kitchen all planned out in my head! All it takes is money. sigh

Pam

Our house was built in the 1840s.. - so we have high ceilings and large rooms; expensive to decorate and REALLY expensive during the winter when the central heating has to be on from about October to April or May!
But it IS a lovely house - with large attics and on three floors.

You are lucky!! I have never been to Scotland. It is on my wish list.

We talk about moving to Amsterdam one day, when all the kids have moved out. Then we could maybe live in an older home. The problem is that for what a house costs here, there you would get a small apartment.

Oh well, it is all a train ride away.

Pam

House prices in Edinburgh are very high (Glasgow and Aberdeen, too). Edinburgh is not much cheaper than London.

I used to visit The Hague a lot when I was younger and worked for Exxon Corporation. I had a number of Dutch friends and visited regularly. Haven't been to Holland for about 10 years or so and each year I promise myself that I WILL go and see the Dutch bulb fields again... and each year, something comes up to stop me! It won't be this year, either - we're hoping to go to Portugal in the Spring. 8)

If you're living in Europe, Scotland shold be easy to put on your 'visiting' list - airfares have never been cheaper!

Did you see that show on BBC with the two Scottish (I think) decorators? They bought a series of homes which they did up, sold for a profit and then used the profit for their next purchase.
The ultimate goal was to make a million pounds for children in need.

When I think of homes in Edinburgh I think of that million pound house. It was soooo beautiful!

Now of course in my head you live in such a home.

Pam

I prefer a gas stovetop because of the "instant", and greater, control it gives me. The problem with electric is that you have a time lag ... you have to wait for it to heat up or to cool down, and you're stuck with preset temp settings. For example - if you have a pot about to boil over and need to reduce the heat gas does it instantly - with electric you have to move the pot off the burner until it cools down.

Electric "may" get hotter (more BTU's) than gas - but I don't know. Electric is measured in WATTS and gas in BTU's - and I don't know which of the dozen Watt to BTU formulas to use to convert apples to oranges.

Well, here's what I have. I think someone else may have the same stove, from what I read in an earlier post.

This is the oven in the house I just bought. It's an old Frigidaire. As you can see, it's "split", with the coils on the left and some open space on the right. There is a plastic or plexiglass cutting board that fits into the open space, but I don't use it. There is an electrical plug on that side, so I can place my deep-fryer or electric griddle onto the rangetop for cooking.

stove1.jpg

Here's a shot of the oven, which is on the right side. Left side is pot-pan storage, and it's big enough to hold just about all my pots and pans. As you can see, I have a dirty pizza stone in there, which I use to help keep the temperatures even. I also have an oven thermometer, as I don't trust any temperature control on any oven.

stove2.jpg

Here's a shot of the brandname/model. I didn't know Frigidaire was a subsidiary of General Motors!

stove3.jpg

I just did a little cleaning, and found on that the coils rotate about the electrical connection, whereas most coils lift up and disconnect. Also, it appears that the burner pan is enamelled. That'll make for some easy cleanups!

Back
Top Bottom