"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-21-2005, 05:09 AM   #31
Executive Chef

I'm lucky - my house was built in the days when there was a kitchen with a walk in pantry and a scullery - which is now one large kitchen. In the main, most UK houses have small kitchen - which is why so many people knock down adjoining walls to make a larger kitchen/dining room.

Old 01-21-2005, 07:27 AM   #32
Senior Cook

You are lucky! We live in a modern row (terraced?) house. We have an open kitchen, bordering the dining/living area. Of course I have my dream kitchen all planned out in my head! All it takes is money. sigh

Pam

Old 01-21-2005, 07:45 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Our house was built in the 1840s.. - so we have high ceilings and large rooms; expensive to decorate and REALLY expensive during the winter when the central heating has to be on from about October to April or May!
But it IS a lovely house - with large attics and on three floors.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #34
Senior Cook

You are lucky!! I have never been to Scotland. It is on my wish list.

We talk about moving to Amsterdam one day, when all the kids have moved out. Then we could maybe live in an older home. The problem is that for what a house costs here, there you would get a small apartment.

Oh well, it is all a train ride away.

Pam
Old 01-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #35
Executive Chef

House prices in Edinburgh are very high (Glasgow and Aberdeen, too). Edinburgh is not much cheaper than London.

I used to visit The Hague a lot when I was younger and worked for Exxon Corporation. I had a number of Dutch friends and visited regularly. Haven't been to Holland for about 10 years or so and each year I promise myself that I WILL go and see the Dutch bulb fields again... and each year, something comes up to stop me! It won't be this year, either - we're hoping to go to Portugal in the Spring. 8)

If you're living in Europe, Scotland shold be easy to put on your 'visiting' list - airfares have never been cheaper!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Did you see that show on BBC with the two Scottish (I think) decorators? They bought a series of homes which they did up, sold for a profit and then used the profit for their next purchase.
The ultimate goal was to make a million pounds for children in need.

When I think of homes in Edinburgh I think of that million pound house. It was soooo beautiful!

Now of course in my head you live in such a home.

Pam
Old 01-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Very similar! (not a million, though!)
Old 01-23-2005, 01:08 AM   #38
Master Chef

I prefer a gas stovetop because of the "instant", and greater, control it gives me. The problem with electric is that you have a time lag ... you have to wait for it to heat up or to cool down, and you're stuck with preset temp settings. For example - if you have a pot about to boil over and need to reduce the heat gas does it instantly - with electric you have to move the pot off the burner until it cools down.

Electric "may" get hotter (more BTU's) than gas - but I don't know. Electric is measured in WATTS and gas in BTU's - and I don't know which of the dozen Watt to BTU formulas to use to convert apples to oranges.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:35 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Well, here's what I have. I think someone else may have the same stove, from what I read in an earlier post.

This is the oven in the house I just bought. It's an old Frigidaire. As you can see, it's "split", with the coils on the left and some open space on the right. There is a plastic or plexiglass cutting board that fits into the open space, but I don't use it. There is an electrical plug on that side, so I can place my deep-fryer or electric griddle onto the rangetop for cooking.

Here's a shot of the oven, which is on the right side. Left side is pot-pan storage, and it's big enough to hold just about all my pots and pans. As you can see, I have a dirty pizza stone in there, which I use to help keep the temperatures even. I also have an oven thermometer, as I don't trust any temperature control on any oven.

Here's a shot of the brandname/model. I didn't know Frigidaire was a subsidiary of General Motors!

I just did a little cleaning, and found on that the coils rotate about the electrical connection, whereas most coils lift up and disconnect. Also, it appears that the burner pan is enamelled. That'll make for some easy cleanups!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:39 AM   #40
Master Chef

Allen, I love the pots and pans storage! I have no built-in storage in my oven, and I really miss that!