"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 02-01-2005, 03:13 PM   #61
Head Chef
Thanks for the link. The math section kinda set me on my ear though
I'm thinking the convection option might be worthwhile.
I can't afford to spring for the Jenn Aire or Viking type ovens though.
Thinking about Maytag, Kenmore or GE right now.

"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 AM   #62
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
We have been in rental houses for years with all the moving around we've done. All of them have had electric stovetop/ovens. If they are working good then baked things come out great. It does take a few minutes sometimes to get the burner heated up and then to cool down takes it's time also. My in-laws have gas and I really liked cooking on that, don't know that I have a preference yet though. :)

~there might be a little dust on the bottle, but don't let it fool ya about what's inside~
LeeAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:13 AM   #63
Send a message via AIM to nicole
I have an eletric stove. I hate it. I have to stick a metal knife under the pan /pot to make in even to fry or cook. I would LOVE a gas stove or even a glass top would be good
nicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 03:31 PM   #64
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Claire
I hate it when this happens. I find a line and there are so many answers I can't figure out if I've already put my two cents' worth in. First of all, Allen, I had that stove in military housing 20 years ago, and it was old then, and I loved it!!!!!

When I moved here I had the choice of gas or electric, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating, but I chose a smooth-top electric range. 99% of the reason was ease of cleaning. I cook a lot, not just for fun, and I get to do 100% of the stove cleaning. Being able to wipe that stove top off so easily is a huge factor. I, too, own a very old house, and having that flat surface in an odd location is helpful (can easily pour a glass of juice, put the fridge items on it to load into the fridge after a grocery trip, etc, is very nice), and most importantly that many who absolutely say gas only either ignore or deny, gas burners are much, much hotter than electric, and if you do not have A/C (I don't), in the summer it can be unbearable. That heat may seem like an advantage, but electric heat pretty much goes straight from burner into the pot, whereas gas heats the entire kitchen. Great in winter. Not so good in summer. Most folk have central A/C and don't even notice it. Oh, yes, the bottoms of the pots and pans are a little cleaner over the years with electric.

Don't get me wrong, there are times (when I'm stir frying, for example) when I wish I had that extra control and heat. But I'd buy the same stove again tomorrow if I had to make the choice again. I use it so much, I'm wearing the color off of some of the burners, and am very happy with it.
When we remodeled the kitchen, we got a Frigidaire glasstop w/ 2 small burners, 1 full large burner and one 2 way large/small burner and a warming zone. It has a single large oven with a "Speedbake" feature, and a drawer for storage in the bottom. I have to say that I love it. It might be a tad to slower to boil water, but I don't generally cook in a hurry anyway. What I do love about it is that it does what it says it is doing. I have a Swiss steak recipe which is slow simmered in French dressing, and I can set it on simmer, cover and leave for 2 hours and when I return, it's still simmering, not burned, not soaking, but cooking perfectly. With our old GE range you had to constantly monitor the process. I've never have had the option of cooking with gas, but the other electrics I've used were all terrible as far as heat control is concerned. And the cleanup is the clincher...

After cooking a couple of meals on ours, my mother went out and bought the same one, and she has cooked with gas before.
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #65
Assistant Cook
Thumbs up my range

I have a Kitchen Aid gas range with gas oven and electric convection. it is great.
asjohns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #66
I've looked at a KitchenAid electric with the convection feature, and I would like to have one of those. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment and tend to move too frequently. So I have to pretty much put up with what's there.

MrCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:42 PM   #67
I have a old Roper electric grill range with solid burners and a convection oven.
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #68
Like Michael, I prefer gas for the instant response and easy control.

I've been using an old O'Keeffe & Merritt stove for the past 24 years. It was probably new when this house was built in 1950. I love it, but I'm ready for something new. Been eyeing a Five Star range.

Allen, the interior shot of your oven reminds me of mine ... except mine is nowhere near that clean! I keep a stone and thermometer in there too.

HanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:14 PM   #69
HanArt! I love that stove!
choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:38 PM   #70
Sous Chef
I have a new GE Profile glass top gas oven that's also a convection-the convection is alright but the fan for it reduces the size inside the oven and my favorite cookie pans don't fit well.I use the cookie sheets anyway just on an angle and the cookies turn out fine.They do bake better in the convection oven versus the gas.

VickiQ is offline   Reply With Quote