What type of range do you have or prefer at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there were several deciding factors: 1) gas ovens produce water vapour and electric ovens do not. this can affect some recipes. 2) The dual fuel had the burner and drip plate style I prefered; fully sealed stacked 3) neither gas ovens nor electric will work during power failure so that was not a factor to consider. 4) I guess I wanted the high tech features on the dual fuel model.
5) I would have been happy with either and I had to make a choice so I made a choice for "all the bells and whistles" .

there are lots of high end appliances out there...some costing a few hundred more, some a few thousand more. GE Fridge you name it, they make it too so does Sears Kenmore. You get better heat evenness, insulation, durability, warrenty etc. What I've noticed so far is: with a high end fridge, your food lasts longer...produce stays much fresher longer. THe temp is very even and cold. With a high end range, very even heat and your food is "caressed" rather than slammed by the cooking process. On the other hand, when you need intense heat, you got it. I have never acheived such a brown on a pot roast before...fabulous!.

htc said:
Electric? Gas? Glass top? Did I miss any?
I can't imagine using anything but a gas stove. Have been forced to cook on electric stoves on occasion and they drive me nuts because they don't respond instantly the way gas does and don't have the same ability to fine-tune just the right amount of heat. I remember having to turn on two electric burners to cook rice - one on high to get it to come to the boil and one set to low for the cover and simmer phase. Electric ovens are fine, though; makes no difference to me whether my ovens are gas or electric.

I don't know anything about having the gas company out to check the adjustments; most of my houses have been on propane, rather than natural gas. Perhaps that's the difference? I know the attachments on gas clothes dryers are different depending on whether you're hooked up to town natural gas or a propane tank.

I'm a gas stove person - but I love the ability to keep a glass top clean - my new kitchen will have a "gas on glass" cooktop. The glass is just like an electric cooktop with the exception of two continous cast iron grates and the removal burner, thats it! Very easy to clean! I chose a built-in double electric convection oven. Can't wait to use them!

Oh, my oven is the pits! It's a 20 plus year old electric Frigidaire. I may have to get a new range this year but I don't want to spend too much $ now cuz we will be remodeling and reconfiguring the kitchen in a couple years. I'm not sure a stove that I buy now will fit into my future plans for the kitchen.

Mine is older than yours.

It's an old Magee range, and it also has a gas heater. Looks like it was made in the mid to late '50s. The oven has a side-swing door, like the fridge.

Stoves

I have an electric stove and I hate it, hate it, hate it, but am trying to make the best of it. I however do like the glass top. I feel the electric stove does not give me the heat control of the burners as I want. I do seem to be coping well

Induction anyone? I have used it and it is fast and sensitive. I will get an "induction hotplate" when Viking brings it out this year. There are others on the market already.

I've been using induction for a few months now and absolutely love it. You're right about the response. From boiling to simmer just like gas. Incredibly fast. No burners to have to try and clean around. Also, since the elements themselves don't get hot, I've yet to have anything cook onto an element like my old radiant range. The Viking counter top model will be great. Easy plug in use and still has an 1800W element.

Back
Top Bottom