"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-18-2005, 11:01 AM   #1
Head Chef

What type of range do you have or prefer at home?

Electric? Gas? Glass top? Did I miss any?

I have an electric stove and have always wondered how cooking with gas is. Seems like it would be great to cook with gas. At my Mom's house, I think her gas stove/oven doesn't get as hot as mine does. When I bake and stir fry at her place, it doesn't go as quickly as it would at my apartment...So that's my fear if I were ever to get my dream kitchen.

I have used the glass top stove and dont like them as much because I think it takes longer to heat water to get it boiling. I could be wrong, never actually tested it, but seems to take forever. I do love the easy surface clean ups.

Side note: I've heard in the past people say if you have a gas range in your house, that you need the gas company to come out to your house once in a while to reset something? Some sort of period maintenance done? Is this maybe why Mom's gas range isn't that hot?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Cook

When we moved into our new home I choose for a glasstop. I am really sorry now. It is easy to clean, but very slow and not hot enough.

I will be going back to gas next time.

Pam

edited to add: I do prefer an electic oven. I don't think they even sell gas ovens here anymore, but could be wrong.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

htc, I have a gas range and oven and prefer them to electric because you can adjust the temperature faster. Never heard the one about the gas company.

Grew up in a house with electric range and burned my fingers several times on burners that looked cool (i.e., black) but weren't. For the same reason, I don't think I would like glass tops.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Master Chef

I have had gas and electric cook tops and would choose gas hands-down. It is so much easier to control than electric. Plus, it's easier to know when I've accidentally left a burner on (I have a history with that! :oops: ). I do like electric ovens as they seem to bake more evenly, but I have nothing against gas. Mine works fine.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Me, too, PA - about leaving the burner on. HH razzes me about it all the time.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Master Chef

Yeah, hubby always quietly double checks the stove after dinner. I'm not supposed to know he's checking up on me, though!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:45 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I have gas oven and hob - with a larger gas burner in the middle which allows me to turn up the heat for things like wok cooking.

I used to cook on an Aga - now that WAS an experience! It warmed the whole house - but was HELL in the summer! I'm not sure whether or not you have Aga ranges in the USA - so here's a link

http://www.aga-ranges.com/kitchens/gallery1.htm
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Gas for stovetop. There is no debate.

The only thing that might come close is the magnetic induction field type of electric stovetops. The field heats the pan/pots, but of course you can only use metal pots. The only reason why this is remotely comparable to gas stovetops is that, unlike other types of electric stovetop, the change in heat is instantaneous.

There is something about seeing the flame and judging the temperature by it that you just cannot do on electrics. And I have also found that some electric stoves, even on the lowest possible heat setting on the smallest burner is still too hot for slow or sensitive cooking methods, like when you want the slowest simmer or are cooking something like a creme anglais.

I go through torture when I go back to living on campus, shoddy electric stove with most of the plates ruined so that you can barely boil water on them (I'm not exaggerating).
Old 01-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Ishbel, Agas are available here, for astronomical prices, and usually only at the high-end shops.

Can you explain the principle behind their operation, i.e., why they are always "on"?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:30 AM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I have a glass top & I love it! I have never used gas so I don't know if I would like it or not.