"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-11-2016, 04:02 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

We had a huge chest along with the top freezer on the fridge when we lived in Texas. My landlord made deer meat sausages to sell and used the chest one to store them in. Plus I also kept meats in there. Constantly had to dig through his stuff to find mine. I finally stopped using the chest and had no more in there.

That is a beautiful fridge Zagut. Hope you can make a ton of tasty meals.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:22 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I try to keep my frozen food organized in my various freezers: the one in the kitchen has breads, doughs, nuts, seeds, zest, homemade or grown veggie items, and store-bought frozen veggies. Meats, stock, salsas and cooked leftovers are in the top freezer in the sun room and other stuff is in the small freezer.

I really need to do an inventory and see what all I have. Then I can make a plan for using it up. During the summer, though, it's really hard to resist fresh vegetables from the farmers markets.
Yep, I think freezer organization is everything.

My bottom freezer with two drawers is divided into four sections. The left of the top drawer is for cheeses and nuts, the right is for vegetables. The bottom left is for prepared food, and the right is for meats. We removed the ice maker for more room, and have a separate one in the garage.
Our extra 6 cubic foot freezer contains meats with a running inventory the SC takes care of.
I always pretty much know where to look without any trouble.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
Head Chef

O boy, I have pro's and con's on almost all fridges.
Like the original post, my fridge was starting to run almost constantly. It was a side by side. I kept vacuuming the back trying to reach the coils thinking that was the problem but to no avail. I went shopping.
Got a french door one, looked for the smallest freezer possible as I already had an upright and a small chest. The only "fridge-only's" were the 'below zero's' which I could hardly afford. Hydro was giving us 60$ and would take away our old fridges.
When they came to get it and hoisted it in the truck, they put it on its back and there were the coils on the bottom, completely coated with dust and hair from many hairy dogs in residence! WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME THE COILS WERE UNDERNEATH! I squawked and the guys loading it told me I was not the first person to be caught like that! ARGHHH. That fridge could have possibly lasted another couple of years.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I learned the hard way to vacuum my coils, too.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #15
Master Chef

Congrats on your new fridge, Zagut! I hope you'll be very happy with it for many years.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I had that problem with my 10 yr old fridge where the freezer worked and the rest of the fridge did not stay cold. After watching a bunch of how-to Youtube videos I replaced a thermostat (under $10 from Amazon) behind the freezer panel and that took care of the huge ice build-up problem behind the panel which was preventing cold air from entering the main compartment.
The first one died due to a controller that when I tried to find the part on the internet I learned it was no longer available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
O boy, I have pro's and con's on almost all fridges.
Like the original post, my fridge was starting to run almost constantly. It was a side by side. I kept vacuuming the back trying to reach the coils thinking that was the problem but to no avail. I went shopping.
Got a french door one, looked for the smallest freezer possible as I already had an upright and a small chest. The only "fridge-only's" were the 'below zero's' which I could hardly afford. Hydro was giving us 60$ and would take away our old fridges.
When they came to get it and hoisted it in the truck, they put it on its back and there were the coils on the bottom, completely coated with dust and hair from many hairy dogs in residence! WHY DIDN'T SOMEONE TELL ME THE COILS WERE UNDERNEATH! I squawked and the guys loading it told me I was not the first person to be caught like that! ARGHHH. That fridge could have possibly lasted another couple of years.

I wish it was just the coils. I didn't want to dig very deep with a 20 year old fridge so I bit the bullet. The coils were clean as a whistle. But I know what you mean about pet hair. I have 2 kitties but I swear they produce more hair per pound of body weight then is possible.
And in my professional opinion stay away from Sub Zeros unless you want a close relationship with the repairman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Congrats on your new fridge, Zagut! I hope you'll be very happy with it for many years.
I hope so too Cheryl, The last one (Also a Kenmore) gave me 20+ years of service so I hope this one will too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I learned the hard way to vacuum my coils, too.
Been there done that myself.

Well it came today.
2 very nice and strong fellows carried that monster upstairs and hauled the dead one downstairs and took it away.
I kept the one kicking the bucket to experiment on.
If I can get it going again it's a plus but it will be a learning experience for me to piddle with even if I don't.

My first observation is that newer fridges take longer to get to temp.
Guess it's an energy saving thing?
Also this thing is very quiet. Hardly hear it run at all.
I transferred all my stuff from the one kicking the bucket once I saw ice crystals beginning to form in the new one.
It's a nice feeling to not worry about losing hundreds of $$$ worth of food and that it's safe now. Crossing my fingers.

Seems I'm not the only one who likes a side by side.
I chose it for it's convenience and it's what I was used to.
I do want to one day get a small chest freezer for the things I want to keep long term.
Things like homemade stock or meats I can buy when cheap.
A chest freezer is inexpensive and very efficient as far as energy goes. There only disadvantage is the archeological effort the take to get to things. I'm just not that organized.

Well gotta go. The second batch of ice cubes just dumped themselves and the manual said I should toss the first 3 so I'll go toss this batch and wait for the third. Once I toss that I'll be able to have ice cubes without the trays.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
...I do want to one day get a small chest freezer for the things I want to keep long term.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Things like homemade stock or meats I can buy when cheap.
A chest freezer is inexpensive and very efficient as far as energy goes. There only disadvantage is the archeological effort the take to get to things. I'm just not that organized. ...
I steered away from a chest freezer for that very reason. I couldn't see myself bent over the edge of the freezer trying to find something. I went with an upright freezer instead and it's worked out great.

I didn't learn my lesson. Bought a French door refrigerator which is essentially a fridge on top of a chest freezer...
Old 09-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #18
Master Chef

The only one thing good about a chest freezer is that every time you open the chest you're not dumping all the cold air out of the freezer.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

When I dig in my freezer in the French-door fridge, I count it as a stretching exercise. It's good for me!

If I was going to get another freezer, it would be an upright to replace the small one.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I want to dump out my chest freezer. It will be replaced by a side-by-side freezer when it croaks. As will my upstairs French door fridge/freezer.