"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 09-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #21
Head Chef

Well, I really doubt I will ever be in the position to buy another fridge but... never say never. So this 'new' one (french) hopefully will be my last. But it is not quiet. Manual said there would be start up burps and bubbles but I find the fan extremely noisy (I can't stand noise!) and the bubbles and burps have not diminished by much! There are only thin wood slats between the fridge and livingroom (don't ask, house is 200 years old, it is what it is!) so I find it very annoying.

The side/by/side with the coils on the bottom was a second hand to begin with. Originally started out as a garage extra. On moving it ended up being the prime fridge. Although I liked the convenience of the freezer on the side, the limited space for fridge was awkward.

So aside from the noise, I like my French doors.

My upright freezer was also bought 2nd hand. Think I got it in the late 70's early 80's. Believe it dates from the 50's-60's. Not frost free and every once in a while the door leaks air so have heavy frost. Certainly not efficient but am willing to overlook the hydro costs for the convenience. Love it, will cry and be very upset when it dies.

Have to say considering its age was certainly a deal!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #22
Head Chef

I am also thinking from most of the comments here that most people would choose an upright freezer over a chest freezer.

So why aren't there more out there? Looks like there is a market for them!

Old 09-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I am also thinking from most of the comments here that most people would choose an upright freezer over a chest freezer.

So why aren't there more out there? Looks like there is a market for them!
I don't understand your question.

Check out Sears, Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowes...
Old 09-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #24
Master Chef

I like my bottom freezer. I figured I get into the 'fridge more than the freezer, and like to see the contents at eye level. My kitchen is rather small so the space for the refrigerator is small, too. Plus, my previous fridge died very suddenly so I had to find something quickly in this small town.

I'm happy with it and since it's just me here, it's adequate. If I ever get a freezer for the garage though, it will definitely be an upright.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #25
Head Chef

OOOPS....

Well, just checked out your suggestions Andy and I certainly stand corrected!

But, in my defense when I was looking for an upright freezer, choices were very few and all over $1,000.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Well it came today.
2 very nice and strong fellows carried that monster upstairs and hauled the dead one downstairs and took it away.
I kept the one kicking the bucket to experiment on.
If I can get it going again it's a plus but it will be a learning experience for me to piddle with even if I don't.

My first observation is that newer fridges take longer to get to temp.
Guess it's an energy saving thing?
Also this thing is very quiet. Hardly hear it run at all.
I transferred all my stuff from the one kicking the bucket once I saw ice crystals beginning to form in the new one.
It's a nice feeling to not worry about losing hundreds of $$$ worth of food and that it's safe now. Crossing my fingers.

Seems I'm not the only one who likes a side by side.
I chose it for it's convenience and it's what I was used to.
I do want to one day get a small chest freezer for the things I want to keep long term.
Things like homemade stock or meats I can buy when cheap.
A chest freezer is inexpensive and very efficient as far as energy goes. There only disadvantage is the archeological effort the take to get to things. I'm just not that organized.

Well gotta go. The second batch of ice cubes just dumped themselves and the manual said I should toss the first 3 so I'll go toss this batch and wait for the third. Once I toss that I'll be able to have ice cubes without the trays.

It sounds like you are delighted with your expensive purchase. I'm happy for you.

By all means, piddle with the one that is on the verge of death. I bet you can fix it. It may have something to do with the automatic defrost not working properly. Google is your best friend solving problems like this.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:03 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I like my bottom freezer...
I like my French door-bottom freezer style, too. I treat the bottom freezer drawer like a file cabinet drawer. No hanging files (although there is a friend of my friend who DOES use them in her bottom freezer drawer ), but I do freeze items flat, then "file" them away by categories.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:54 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I love my bottom freezer, but it's sure a lot easier on my back with my kitchen chair.

That's what I want - a good deep drawer freezer. They don't seem to sell them over here.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #29
Head Chef

Well good folks, Here's a couple of pics of her.
They'll be at the bottom. One day I'll take the time to figure out how to post them in line on the post.

I'm happy with my purchase so far. Keep in mind I choose one of the cheapest models for it's size.
What I like about it.
1. It's upstairs in the kitchen where it belongs. No more upstairs, downstairs to get things out or put things away.
2. Ice maker. No more ice trays to deal with until it craps out and since it's new I hope that's a long time.
3. It's very quiet. The only real sound it makes is when it dumps a load of ice.
4. I no longer have the hulk of the old dead fridge sitting at the top of the stairs and wondering how I'm going to get it down those stairs.
5. It keeps things cold and frozen and I shouldn't have to worry about that for awhile. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

What I don't like about it.
1. The stupid ice/water dispenser has a button to turn the light on and off but the light doesn't come on when you place a glass on the lever. Your choice is on or off.
2. The shelves aren't as adjustable as I'm used to.
3. The icemaker takes more space then the last one. The last one had a small top shelf that this one doesn't. But I think I'll live.

Seems a lot of folks like an upright freezer.
I'll agree. They are the easiest to use on a day to day basis.
But I'd still get a chest freezer for those items Ibuy in bulk to save on and don't need available on short notice.
Things like 20# of Chuck to grind or that turkey on sale after Thanksgiving.
Or those bone and veggie scraps just waiting to be made into stock.
The reason being is the lower initial cost of the unit and the energy efficiency of the unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0416.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	25364   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	25365  

Old 09-15-2016, 01:24 AM   #30
Master Chef