When is a deal not a deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I really doubt I will ever be in the position to buy another fridge but... never say never. So this 'new' one (french) hopefully will be my last. But it is not quiet. Manual said there would be start up burps and bubbles but I find the fan extremely noisy (I can't stand noise!) and the bubbles and burps have not diminished by much! There are only thin wood slats between the fridge and livingroom (don't ask, house is 200 years old, it is what it is!) so I find it very annoying.

The side/by/side with the coils on the bottom was a second hand to begin with. Originally started out as a garage extra. On moving it ended up being the prime fridge. Although I liked the convenience of the freezer on the side, the limited space for fridge was awkward.

So aside from the noise, I like my French doors.

My upright freezer was also bought 2nd hand. Think I got it in the late 70's early 80's. Believe it dates from the 50's-60's. Not frost free and every once in a while the door leaks air so have heavy frost. Certainly not efficient but am willing to overlook the hydro costs for the convenience. Love it, will cry and be very upset when it dies.

Have to say considering its age was certainly a deal!

I am also thinking from most of the comments here that most people would choose an upright freezer over a chest freezer.

So why aren't there more out there? Looks like there is a market for them!

I am also thinking from most of the comments here that most people would choose an upright freezer over a chest freezer.

So why aren't there more out there? Looks like there is a market for them!

I don't understand your question.

Check out Sears, Home Depot, Best Buy, Lowes...

I like my bottom freezer. :ermm::LOL: I figured I get into the 'fridge more than the freezer, and like to see the contents at eye level. My kitchen is rather small so the space for the refrigerator is small, too. Plus, my previous fridge died very suddenly so I had to find something quickly in this small town.

I'm happy with it and since it's just me here, it's adequate. :) If I ever get a freezer for the garage though, it will definitely be an upright.

OOOPS....

img_1479672_0_16d8c17d81e9632d7fdb47f86dff2000.gif

Well, just checked out your suggestions Andy and I certainly stand corrected!

But, in my defense when I was looking for an upright freezer, choices were very few and all over $1,000.

Well it came today.
2 very nice and strong fellows carried that monster upstairs and hauled the dead one downstairs and took it away.
I kept the one kicking the bucket to experiment on.
If I can get it going again it's a plus but it will be a learning experience for me to piddle with even if I don't.

My first observation is that newer fridges take longer to get to temp.
Guess it's an energy saving thing?
Also this thing is very quiet. Hardly hear it run at all.
I transferred all my stuff from the one kicking the bucket once I saw ice crystals beginning to form in the new one.
It's a nice feeling to not worry about losing hundreds of $$$ worth of food and that it's safe now. Crossing my fingers.

Seems I'm not the only one who likes a side by side.
I chose it for it's convenience and it's what I was used to.
I do want to one day get a small chest freezer for the things I want to keep long term.
Things like homemade stock or meats I can buy when cheap.
A chest freezer is inexpensive and very efficient as far as energy goes. There only disadvantage is the archeological effort the take to get to things. I'm just not that organized.

Well gotta go. The second batch of ice cubes just dumped themselves and the manual said I should toss the first 3 so I'll go toss this batch and wait for the third. Once I toss that I'll be able to have ice cubes without the trays.

It sounds like you are delighted with your expensive purchase. I'm happy for you.

By all means, piddle with the one that is on the verge of death. I bet you can fix it. It may have something to do with the automatic defrost not working properly. Google is your best friend solving problems like this.

Last edited:
I like my bottom freezer...
I like my French door-bottom freezer style, too. I treat the bottom freezer drawer like a file cabinet drawer. No hanging files (although there is a friend of my friend who DOES use them in her bottom freezer drawer :ermm: ), but I do freeze items flat, then "file" them away by categories.

Well good folks, Here's a couple of pics of her.
They'll be at the bottom. One day I'll take the time to figure out how to post them in line on the post.

I'm happy with my purchase so far. Keep in mind I choose one of the cheapest models for it's size.
What I like about it.
1. It's upstairs in the kitchen where it belongs. No more upstairs, downstairs to get things out or put things away.
2. Ice maker. No more ice trays to deal with until it craps out and since it's new I hope that's a long time.
3. It's very quiet. The only real sound it makes is when it dumps a load of ice.
4. I no longer have the hulk of the old dead fridge sitting at the top of the stairs and wondering how I'm going to get it down those stairs.
5. It keeps things cold and frozen and I shouldn't have to worry about that for awhile. Peace of mind is worth a lot.

What I don't like about it.
1. The stupid ice/water dispenser has a button to turn the light on and off but the light doesn't come on when you place a glass on the lever. Your choice is on or off.
2. The shelves aren't as adjustable as I'm used to.
3. The icemaker takes more space then the last one. The last one had a small top shelf that this one doesn't. But I think I'll live.

Seems a lot of folks like an upright freezer.
I'll agree. They are the easiest to use on a day to day basis.
But I'd still get a chest freezer for those items Ibuy in bulk to save on and don't need available on short notice.
Things like 20# of Chuck to grind or that turkey on sale after Thanksgiving.
Or those bone and veggie scraps just waiting to be made into stock.
The reason being is the lower initial cost of the unit and the energy efficiency of the unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 122
I am liking your fridge, Zagut! And you and Kay may need to compete on most fridge magnets!

These stories are so funny........my favorite refrigerator was our first Sears so we could establish credit.......it was gold.........yay........what else is new.......Brady Bunch! it had the fridge on the bottom and the freezer on the top........could find everything......probably because we were poor......anyway, `i now have one of the bottom freezer compartments and can `not find anything.......anymore........

I am liking your fridge, Zagut! And you and Kay may need to compete on most fridge magnets!

You're right Dawg. :LOL: Our breakfast bar is right beside the fridge, and it's a great spot to talk about all our travel memories while we're eating. We also have a big nice video frame on the bar, displaying all our travel pictures since we've been married.

Hope you have many happy years with your new fridg Zagut!

Seriously - "they don't make them like they used to!" is the truest statement. While you were talking about fridges and freezers I suddenly remembered the old GE fridge up north at the cottage. I told you about my upright freezer. Now I need to mention that fridge.

I inherited that fridge from my mom in the late 60's. It was huge, both the freezer on top and the bottom. I believe it dated from the early 50's, rounded edges and all. But not frost free. (did they have frost free back then?) Still have the ice cube trays with the metal inserts you pull the handle on to loosen them! LOL

When I renovated it went to our cottage and was a veritable work horse and catch all for a double good weeks worth of food from our family and visitor's stuffing it. someone brought up a newer one and this one was regulated to the basement where it is still in operation for freezing their vacation meat and keeping beer for the beach in the bottom.

I have to admit defeat on this one. :neutral:

Kayelle's magnets are much more organized then mine and seem to represent special things.

Mine are just what I've accumulated over the years and seem to have stuck around.

Lot's of mine have come from the phone book and are slip and fall lawyers or home improvement contractors I have no interest in. :LOL:

Now I will enter into the oldest competition. ;)
I have a confirmed 1998 calendar from my insurance agent and an older one from my mother.

For some reason I like Fridge magnets. :(

It's like I view hats. If you give it to me for free then I'll wear it or display it. But if someone asks me my opinion they'll get that too. :)

Seriously - "they don't make them like they used to!" is the truest statement. While you were talking about fridges and freezers I suddenly remembered the old GE fridge up north at the cottage. I told you about my upright freezer. Now I need to mention that fridge.

I inherited that fridge from my mom in the late 60's. It was huge, both the freezer on top and the bottom. I believe it dated from the early 50's, rounded edges and all. But not frost free. (did they have frost free back then?) Still have the ice cube trays with the metal inserts you pull the handle on to loosen them! LOL

When I renovated it went to our cottage and was a veritable work horse and catch all for a double good weeks worth of food from our family and visitor's stuffing it. someone brought up a newer one and this one was regulated to the basement where it is still in operation for freezing their vacation meat and keeping beer for the beach in the bottom.
No, they don't make them like that anymore - thankfully. Newer ones are waaay more energy efficient. You have spent a fortune in electricity by keeping the old one and not replacing it. Here's the Energy Star refrigerator replacement page:

https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.calculator

Newer ones are waaay more energy efficient. You have spent a fortune in electricity by keeping the old one and not replacing it. ]

I understand perfectly that it costs more to run them.

Had a big long rant here but erased it.:LOL:

But suffice it to say I don't believe the extra cost in electricity will be putting me in the poor house just yet. BUT if the cost of our Hydro keeps going up because we are selling it to our neighbours - that might and actually has in some of our cities for pensioners.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom