"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-09-2007, 10:09 AM   #111
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
...The smoke and grease from the stovetop get trapped by a couple of fliter under the microwave. You must replace these filters about every 6 months.
At least, this is the way Jenn-Air does it.

What material are the filters made of? If they are metal (aluminum) they are washable and reuseable.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #112
Executive Chef

The portable a/c unit that I had. It was an expensive hunk of junk!!

As long as you sat in front of it, you were fine. But when you move away from it, the rest of the room was still torridly hot!!

Also, the thing had to be babysat with, because as long as it's on, you have to keep on emptying the water from it! I couldn't even leave the house or go to sleep with it on!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 PM   #113
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Andy,
The filter units (two) are made of an Aluminium and Steel mesh and they are reusable. Jenn-Air recommends cleaning them periodically with just warm water and detergent.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #114
Assistant Cook

(hopefully I am posting this correctly and not accidently replying to someone) I would have to say my crockpot. I got it with the intention of making ribs, but have never gotten around to it. Other than soups, not sure what else I can make in it, so it sits in the counter under the sink, never used once. :(
Old 07-10-2007, 04:44 PM   #115
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCAT
(hopefully I am posting this correctly and not accidently replying to someone) I would have to say my crockpot. I got it with the intention of making ribs, but have never gotten around to it. Other than soups, not sure what else I can make in it, so it sits in the counter under the sink, never used once. :(
Sorry to hear that, KCAT. I've had a crock-pot for over 30 years and use it all the time. As a matter of fact, last month I conducted a little experiment to see how many meals could be done in it for the month. I ended up cooking 17 of 30 of June's meals in my crock-pot.

I use it to make homemade applesauce and it's great for caramelizing onions for soup, etc. I find it to be a very useful and versatile appliance.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #116
Executive Chef

The CucinaPro rotary grater/grinder (nussreiber?) was a real looser. The gratinging drums did not fit properly into the housing (wobbled). The body of the grater was advertised as being made of aluminum (nonferrous) but a magnet stuck to it (ferrous). The suction cup base would not hold suction on glasslike surfaces. It was made in China.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 PM   #117
Assistant Cook

Being new here I found it interesting reading through this thread. I guess the moral is one person's junk is another person's treasure. It seems for everything one person hated, another used daily. Except maybe that pasta cooker thingie.

Reading about crock pots made me hungry so I searched and found a good crock pot recipie for tomorrow that I could cook while at work. Then I set out to find where I put my crock pot. I can't find it anywhere!! I know I have one, I remember buying it. It's gotta be around here someplace. But I looked everywhere!! It's not like it could've just disappeared. Maybe the kids where playing with it. Well, I'm sure it will turn up someplace.

Perhaps there should be another thread for the stuff we buy and use so infrequently we have no idea where we put it

Michael
Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #118
Executive Chef

I love this thread since it illustrates that there really is no one way to get good results in the kitchen. I use my crockpot most of the time when cooking meats since it's the only way I can get prepare meat that doesn't resemble shoe leather! (I have had a recent success with ribs in the oven thanks to DC) But if you had asked me about it even 3 years ago, I would have said it was under the sink gathering dust since I hadn't really ever run into anyone who could tell me how to use it. I also find that I go through spells of using one thing or another heavily for a while and then not using it again - blender, toaster oven, stick blender etc. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one!
Old 07-12-2007, 03:51 AM   #119
Master Chef

When I was young and single, I lived by my crock pot. I haven't owned one in years. Know why? Friends and family. When I need one now I call a friend and her son shows up with two of them. When I lived in Florida, I borrowed from my mom. There is nothing better than a network of friends who love to cook. But when I was in my 20s I would put some meat in it, along with veggies, and live off of it for the entire week. Plus feed my cat with it. Now I just need one for parties, so above mentioned friend supplies it for me.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #120
Executive Chef

My old Rival Crock Pot Slow Cooker is 30 years old, and it's STILL kicking!!

It still kicks butt! I wouldn't part with it for all the money in the world unless it broken down.

And it's not showing any signs of that.