"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #121
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
A white coffeemaker. There should be a law passed that anything that has even the remotest possibility of coming in contact with coffee is not allowed to be white!

Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 PM   #122
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I donít use my crock-pot a lot (about once a month) but I do like it. Very handy device. I simply love making overnight soups or beans where I go to bed with it on low and wake up the next morning to those wonderful smells.

As for my worst appliance mistake.......Iím not really sure. Iíve found a use for all of them. About the only one I kind of frown on is the dehydrator. Not much to do with that thing except make jerky (which is why I bought it), and it is a bear to clean. The jerky marinade gets all over and into those little bitty grate holes and the trays are too big to easily work with in the sink. The last time I used it, I got fed up and through all the trays ion the bathtub and scrubbed them with a nail brush in the tub!

Old 07-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #123
Executive Chef

A Waring food processor that began to fall apart within about six months. The plastic parts for the cover were coming apart.

This was before I bought the Cuisinart machine which lasted for 20 years.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #124
Assistant Cook

The George Foreman grill (actually it came free with a drum of sheep drench for tapeworms!) but it's a **** of a cleaning job. It was the model before the one with removeable cooking plates. Who could be bothered!!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #125
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Oh my where do I start. Yeah I know I am a glutton for punishment or for anything that I THINK will make my job easier.
Dehydrator
Bread machine
All those Choppers and Dicers what a mess
Graters
Slicer (but not my mandoline) I love it
Pop Corn popper. I just use a common pot on the stove
Well I guess I could go on and on but I won't bore you all.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #126
Executive Chef

Many years ago someone gave me an electric wok what a piece of junk it never got hot enough to stir fry it would just boil or steam.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgiver
Dehydrator
Bread machine
Popcorn popper.
I just love everyone's point of view. As for the dehydrator, it's one of my essential tools when it comes to making dried bread cubes in a jiffy for croutons or turkey stuffing. I can turn a whole loaf of bread into perfectly dried cubes in about 2 hours. Also makes killer beef jerkey and dried fruits and veggies...to put by when the season is generous and we can use in the wintertime.

My bread machine(s), I have 2, are my best friends. I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in my right hand, so kneading is nothing short of extremely painful. I use my bread machines to knead my dough and put it through the first rising. And to qualify my comments, I make ALL the bread products we eat in this house. We haven't bought commercially-made bread in too many years to count.

Now...the popcorn popper. Had an air popper that worked perfectly. However, air-popped corn is one step above shipping pellet styrofoam in our estimation. We have a Whirley-Pop popper that we cook corn on the stovetop. Awesome popcorn. It's the only way to go and uses so little oil it's obscene.

Just my take on some of the things folks have challenges with. Ain't it great that this world allows for differences?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:42 PM   #128
Assistant Cook

This is easy. It was about 1986 or '87. Dh & I are newly married and poor as church mice and I was entralled with the SnackMaster infomercial.

Dh finally said ok to me buying the thing. It probably cost $50 -$60 (did I mention we were really poor & newlyweds). I doubt I used the thing more than 3 times.

It has been a great joke of his over the years whenever I see a new gadget I really want to lean over and whisper sweetly in my ear SnackMaster.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #129
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to shawnamcc
Hmmm.

Pasta Machine
Bread Maker
Food Dehydrator
Old 07-20-2007, 09:14 PM   #130
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
I didint buy it myself but my roomates got me an electric friolator for X-Mass about 3 years ago. I've probably used it twice. I mean I can understand some people loving it but Im just the anti-fry guy. I bake everything, or fry with high heat and minimal oil.