Originally Posted by mudbug
Those of you who have a microwave over your stove, where does all the smoke/grease from the stovetop go? On the underside of the microwave?
Over-the-stove microwaves have a built-in exhaust fan and a filter screen. They're supposed to be vented to the outside, but many installers skip that step, as I discovered when we decided to move about two years ago.
We spent a lot of time looking at houses, and naturally the kitchen was a focal point for us. A couple of the houses we looked at had a microwave over the stove, so I turned on the exhaust fan to check it. I felt no suction at all on one, and another was blowing air in my face. Checking further, I was shocked to discover there was NO exhaust pipe to the outside. Both of these were in newly remolded kitchens.
I asked the real estate agents about that. One said that the owner had not installed an exhaust pipe because it was too difficult to route it around the upstairs rooms -- so there was no exhaust at all.
The other agent was more creative -- she claimed it was a "recirculating exhaust"! I replied, "So it sucks up the smoke and hot exhaust from the stove and blows it in my face?" For some reason she didn't talk to me much after that.