Which appliance purchase was your worst mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tattrat, this is the gift my sister had my 6yo nephew buy for me. I can't ever toss it out because he wants to use it about every 5th time he visit:rolleyes: :LOL: s.

meatballmagic2.jpg

You roll out the meat, put this 9 compartment plastic over it and roll roll roll....I've never been able to make it work well.

Last edited:
The rice cooker. I bought it because I thought it would be more convenient. I used it once and it burnt the rice on the bottom and then the rest of the rice was way overcooked. I never used it again.

JCook said:
The rice cooker. I bought it because I thought it would be more convenient. I used it once and it burnt the rice on the bottom and then the rest of the rice was way overcooked. I never used it again.

It's very possible that some rice cookers that don't have the more sophisticated fuzzy logic are lousy.

See fryboy's informative post regarding the expensive but excellent rice cookers. I have the same brand as he, and it is absolutely foolproof. If you measure the rice into the little plastic cup and use the amount of water indicated clearly by a line on the inside of the pot, it is impossible to end up with anything but perfect rice -- much better, btw, than the hit-or-miss I'd had before using a saucepan.

Now, Popeil's Veg-O-Matic? That was an appliance so bad that I wish I still had mine just for its kitsch value. :ROFLMAO:

Half Baked said:
Tattrat, this is the gift my sister had my 6yo nephew buy for me. I can't ever toss it out because he wants to use it about every 5th time he visit:rolleyes: :LOL: s.

meatballmagic2.jpg

You roll out the meat, put this 9 compartment plastic over it and roll roll roll....I've never been able to make it work well.

LOL! I think I did see that...at like 3 in the morning on an infomercial!

It is amazing the gadgets that are created for little to NO practicle use, and how many people buy them up.

My worst purchase would definately be the Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker. I was so excited when he came out with the product because I used to catch his shows regularly on TV. I hastily called for it from the UK. Little did I know that my grandma's mortar and pestle would still give me better results. Or maybe its just me who gets tired shaking it for so long:ermm:

Anybody out there who is happy with their Flavour Shaker???

:LOL: I had never heard of the flavour shaker before. I hope my family doesn't find that.

Simply pop your ingredients inside, add the magic ball and give it a good shake.
The ceramic ball does all the work crushing, grinding and bruising the contents, releasing amazing aromas and zingy flavours. You can also add liquids like oil and cream to create delicious dressings and marinades. The Flavour Shaker is sized to give you just the right amount of marinade or dressing (you don't need a lot) so that you can pour the contents straight over your food.

I try to tell the family that if I WANT something for the kitchen, I already have it. It's like me trying to buy Mr Half Baked a tool for his workshop.

I will probably be drummed out of the kitchen corps for this, but the thing I paid the most money for and use the least is my KA stand mixer.

Just had to have it, but probably have only used it a couple of times a year.

Maybe I should bake more cookies. :)

sparrowgrass said:
I will probably be drummed out of the kitchen corps for this, but the thing I paid the most money for and use the least is my KA stand mixer.

Just had to have it, but probably have only used it a couple of times a year.

Maybe I should bake more cookies. :)

sparrowgrass, I obtained my KA mixer from someone just like you.. Hers was still in the box. I am eternally grateful.

Find a baker to give it to.

I was so excited to be remodeling my kitchen in 2001. I already had the new oven, new stovetop and a slightly used dishwasher. our fridge was really old so since we were remodeling I made sure we built a spot that would accomodate a really nice side-by-side fridge. I went to the appliance store I always to business with and special ordered this whirlpool fridge with filtered water, crushed ice, really nice compared to what we had--wasn't cheap either but I had come into a little cash and the fridge was on my wish list. First, since it was special ordered, we ended up waiting an extra 6 weeks from the projected delivery date (which was about 3 weeks after we bought it) for the thing to come in. I almost cancelled the order to go buy something else. Anyway, the fridge came and I just loved it. Last year, the compressor went out on it so I contacted Whirlpool and they said the compressor was the only part that was still covered (yeah for me). They sent someone out and he "pretended" to put in a compressor but actually left the old one in and took the new one back with him. We caught him at it, confronted him about it, got the new compressor, but now I'm always worried I'm going to come home to a broken fridge and it's only 4.5 years old.
They sure don't build stuff like they used to. :mad:

About 40 years ago, I bought an electric bacon cooker. What a piece of junk!!!!

I used it once and spent at least an hour cleaning it. It went in the garbage the next day.

I still hear about this from my husband.

Did anyone, anyone in the world fall for that plastic tube gadget thing that you could pour hot water in and add your pasta, then let sit on the counter and it cooked the pasta to perfection

Nobody I know of anyway lol

How can they get away with selling something like that?

Nevermind, there is a sucker born every minute and I'm sure the sellers have made a fortune:LOL: .

suzyQ3 said:
I am shocked, shocked :shock: that some of you don't enjoy your rice cookers. Coincidentally, I posted on the cookware forum on gardenweb just this morning in reply to a person asking what we considered our favorite gadget or kitchen appliance. I assumed she meant something beyond the mundane knife or food processor and so told her that I love my rice cooker. It's one of those fancy fuzzy logic ones and set me back quite a few dollars.

But unlike some appliances I've bought over the years -- can you say Yogurt Maker? :wacko: - - I use this at least a couple times a week. Sure, you can cook rice in a pan, but this is so simple, foolproof, and doesn't need my attention after I throw in the rice, water, and a dash of salt. Perfect rice -- whether it's regular, basmati, sticky, brown, etc., -- every single time without sacrificing one of my burners. Plus, if you're adventurous and the autormatic rice cooker cookbook, there are many good rice-based dishes you can make in it. Oh, and it's a breeze to clean.

I am not an employee for any manufacturer of said product, nor do I own stock in any related company.:LOL:

SusieQ3
Gotta go with you 100% on this one---i could not LIVE without my rice cooker especially when you are cooking for crowds. When I do cook for crowds i put the cooked rice in large ziploc baggies and reheat in the microwave, baggies and all. Like you, I have made all kinds of rices in mine--sure , you may have to adjust water amounts after making a particular variety for the first time but what a life safer.:chef:

middie said:
Did anyone, anyone in the world fall for that plastic tube gadget thing that you could pour hot water in and add your pasta, then let sit on the counter and it cooked the pasta to perfection

Nobody I know of anyway lol

I was close really close to falling for it, but I went with my instincts and decided that it probably would not work.

Now you see, I love my Showtime Rotisserie. I use it at least once every two weeks.
What I don't use is my Iced Tea Maker...LOL Can't believe I fell for that one!

RMS said:
Now you see, I love my Showtime Rotisserie. I use it at least once every two weeks.
What I don't use is my Iced Tea Maker...LOL Can't believe I fell for that one!

This is to funny I LOVE my iced tea maker, I use it every day!:)
By the way what do you make in your Showtime? Maybe time to dig it out again

mackeeg said:
Showtime Rotisserie What a waste of money, maybe used 4 times in 4 years

I can't believe you don't like your Showtime Rotisserie. My son wanted the double one for a couple of years but didn't want to buy it himself. (hint, hint.) So I bought him one last Christmas. He made a couple of chickens and invited the family for dinner. Every one of us thought the chicken was awesome. They came out brown, crispy and very tender and juicy. He has since made ribs, which topped mine by a long shot and several other meals cooked in this gadget. including a small ham that we polished off completely. He loves it and so do I . As far as I'm concerned he can invite me to dinner anytime. I'm so curious as to why some people don't like it and others love it.

Last edited:
Showtime Rotisserie - I LOVE IT.

I use it several times a month also.

How did I get to this color and font?:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom