Which appliance purchase was your worst mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I make chicken in mine. I've tried other things but I would most highly recommend the chicken. I rub the chicken with olive oil first and then sprinkle with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and paprika. (I got this recipe at DC) My family goes crazy for it. It's crispy and juicy and just the best chicken I've ever had (or made)
Now that you mention the iced tea maker, it's not that I hate it. I just don't ever pull it out to use it and haven't been happy with the taste of the sweet tea that I make. Do you have a recipe for me to try to get the tea to taste better?

RMS said:
Now you see, I love my Showtime Rotisserie. I use it at least once every two weeks.
What I don't use is my Iced Tea Maker...LOL Can't believe I fell for that one!

I second this love my rotisserie and used my iced tea maker once. I brought
the tea maker into work for people to use and they have never used it either.

My Dad is a sucker for everything sold on t.v. I would bet my folks have
one of those pasta tube cooker deals.

I would have to say the plastic bendable cutting boards. Neat idea but
the plastic slides all over the place when your trying to cut something.

Electric can openers they never work for me, good old ones are the best.

metal skewers never have used them they would be to hot to turn

Hey Rickell,
We have a lot in common. I only use the old fashioned can openers too!
Never tried the plastic cutting board but I do have a set of metal skewers and you're right, they are way too hot to turn. I do use them though because I like the way they look better than burnt wood but they really aren't practical at all.

As for the burnt wood skewers, just cover the part w/o food, with foil. After soaking, of course.

Set it on a kitchen towel

Electric can openers they never work for me, good old ones are the best.
I think the electric ones are so unsanitary...I use a hand can opener that I can toss in the dish washer.
:)

Last edited:
The GE Profile convention/convection oven that we bought 2 years ago when we renovated our kitchen- don't get me started on how much I loathe it!!!

rickell said:
I would have to say the plastic bendable cutting boards. Neat idea but

I have 2 of those, and love them. They came with a rubbery drawer liner looking thing to put under it that keeps it from sliding. Plus the rubbery thing works great for my wife to open jars if I am not around!:bb: Just get some drawer liner and cut a rectangle to fit.

Essie said:
About 40 years ago, I bought an electric bacon cooker. What a piece of junk!!!!

I used it once and spent at least an hour cleaning it. It went in the garbage the next day.

I still hear about this from my husband.

Essie, gotta love those husbands with the memory of an elephant (like yours and mine)..........

I still hear about the yeast I bought to make him rolls shortly after we married that sat in the drawer for years.

I thought an electric bacon cooker was called a microwave.
Aside from that I can't even picture what one would look like.

Buying that ill-fated Tilia Food Saver 550. It's a piece of crap.

The thing had crapped out in less than three years!

~Corey123.

Last edited:
vagriller said:
I have 2 of those, and love them. They came with a rubbery drawer liner looking thing to put under it that keeps it from sliding. Plus the rubbery thing works great for my wife to open jars if I am not around!:bb: Just get some drawer liner and cut a rectangle to fit.

Oh, Vagriller,

I use those rubber drawer liners for everything (if you're lucky you might even find them at the dollar stores)----if you hadn't recommended it first I would have-----I even took a square of it to my physical therapy class because people kept sliding off the stationary bicycle seat----nevermore, quothe the raven. I even lined my spice racks attached to the door of my pantry so that they spice containers didn't get all messed up if the door was closed too hard--those babies don't even move now. Anything that I don't want to slip or slide I put a square of that stuff under it-----I even have it under small carpets.

Essie said:

My mother had one of those. We ran across it last year packing up the house. She never used it.

My worst purchase was also a rice cooker. It didn't make the move and got tossed. I don't eat rice though, I'd rather get my carbs someplace else.

I'm definitely getting more sensible in my cooking spending, I can't think of a current item I own that I considerred wasted money.

Hopz said:
MY biggest problem appliance is the KitchenAid side by side refrigerator. It is a great machine, cools and freezes perfectly, but apparently cannot be made to dispense water without a drip. KA service has been out several times and the customer service supervisor was so rude. The factory basically said they would not support it any longer and basically, "stop calling" even if it is under warranty and cost over $4,000.
This does not sound like the KitchenAid company I'm familiar with! You must have gotten someone who got up on the wrong side of the bed! KA is known for their great customer service. :ohmy:

I got a rotisserie chicken cooker a few years ago as a gift from someone. What a waste. I would have rather had, well, almost anything else. I used it one time to be a good sport. Such a chore, buy a small enough chicken, cook a few hours, clean the darn thing or just buy a roast chicken from the store for about $5.00 and everyone is happy.

I have a GE dishwasher that I hate. It was top of their line a few years ago yet it has no count-down timer and the wash-later setting is only in two-hour increments. The spot for cups is too narrow for anything in my cupboard and the space between the bottom and top racks is too low to fit in a cookie sheet or large lid. We've had several service calls and the service people never seem to know how to fix the problem. Last time, the second service guy said the first service guy was an idiot. He told me the part number to get from a local store and how to install it and saved me the hassle of dealing with the service department again.

Next time I buy a dishwasher, I don't care how dumb it looks, I'm taking a few of my own things along to the store to see if they fit and GE will have to have a super amazing good deal to keep me as a customer.

Meat Slicer

We have this stainless steel meat slicer that my husband wanted to slice hams and such "deli thin". I think it has been used once in ten years. Also, my GE digital oven. In no time flat, the computer went dead and although that was under warranty, we had to pay the repair guy, and the self cleaning part has never worked.

Oh Jan! I used my vitamix to death - twice!!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I ground flour, cornmeal, and did all kinds of stuff with it. I'm hoping that when we get back on land we can get it fixed. I really miss it.

Worst appliance purchase - Thunderstick! No doubt about it. I used to use my immersion blender all the time - bought this thing and never use it.

Best purchase is the portable ice maker that we bought! It just sits there and makes ice - all day every day. All I have to do is add water and it just plain works.

Strangest - a gift of a FlavorWave oven. :mellow: :huh: :rolleyes: :) And I do have a chocolate fountain!!!:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: We'll use it more often when we get back on land - no room on the boat!!!

I just never got into using it. I don't like the foam in the drinks and soups at all. I ground up all my leftover tomatos and bagged it up. I'm interested to see how it thaws...I guess all that foam has to go down eventually. I like having all the peels and seeds in the liquid.

Maybe this year I'll try making my own flour. I had really planned on doing that, when I kept talking myself into the purchase. :LOL:

Essie said:

I used it once and spent at least an hour cleaning it. It went in the garbage the next day.

Oh boy! I know just how you feel.:LOL: :LOL:

I still have a bread maker that I use when I'm pushed for time - but, I just use the mix, knead & rise features. Then I remove the dough and play with it. I never cared for the crust or texture of the bread when I tried baking the dough in the machine.[/quote]

I use my bread machine the same way, but it's because I have arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand and kneading kills me. I don't bake my breads in the machine either. Never liked the funny belly button the paddle gave the loaf.

Back
Top Bottom