Which appliance purchase was your worst mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A white coffeemaker. There should be a law passed that anything that has even the remotest possibility of coming in contact with coffee is not allowed to be white!

I don’t use my crock-pot a lot (about once a month) but I do like it. Very handy device. I simply love making overnight soups or beans where I go to bed with it on low and wake up the next morning to those wonderful smells.

As for my worst appliance mistake.......I’m not really sure. I’ve found a use for all of them. About the only one I kind of frown on is the dehydrator. Not much to do with that thing except make jerky (which is why I bought it), and it is a bear to clean. The jerky marinade gets all over and into those little bitty grate holes and the trays are too big to easily work with in the sink. The last time I used it, I got fed up and through all the trays ion the bathtub and scrubbed them with a nail brush in the tub!

A Waring food processor that began to fall apart within about six months. The plastic parts for the cover were coming apart.

This was before I bought the Cuisinart machine which lasted for 20 years.

The George Foreman grill (actually it came free with a drum of sheep drench for tapeworms!) but it's a **** of a cleaning job. It was the model before the one with removeable cooking plates. Who could be bothered!!

Oh my where do I start. Yeah I know I am a glutton for punishment or for anything that I THINK will make my job easier.
Dehydrator
Bread machine
All those Choppers and Dicers what a mess:mad:
Graters
Slicer (but not my mandoline) I love it
Pop Corn popper. I just use a common pot on the stove
Well I guess I could go on and on but I won't bore you all.

:) Many years ago someone gave me an electric wok what a piece of junk it never got hot enough to stir fry it would just boil or steam.

goodgiver said:
Dehydrator
Bread machine
Popcorn popper.

I just love everyone's point of view. As for the dehydrator, it's one of my essential tools when it comes to making dried bread cubes in a jiffy for croutons or turkey stuffing. I can turn a whole loaf of bread into perfectly dried cubes in about 2 hours. Also makes killer beef jerkey and dried fruits and veggies...to put by when the season is generous and we can use in the wintertime.

My bread machine(s), I have 2, are my best friends. I have carpal tunnel and arthritis in my right hand, so kneading is nothing short of extremely painful. I use my bread machines to knead my dough and put it through the first rising. And to qualify my comments, I make ALL the bread products we eat in this house. We haven't bought commercially-made bread in too many years to count.

Now...the popcorn popper. Had an air popper that worked perfectly. However, air-popped corn is one step above shipping pellet styrofoam in our estimation. We have a Whirley-Pop popper that we cook corn on the stovetop. Awesome popcorn. It's the only way to go and uses so little oil it's obscene.

Just my take on some of the things folks have challenges with. Ain't it great that this world allows for differences?

This is easy. It was about 1986 or '87. Dh & I are newly married and poor as church mice and I was entralled with the SnackMaster infomercial.

Dh finally said ok to me buying the thing. It probably cost $50 -$60 (did I mention we were really poor & newlyweds). I doubt I used the thing more than 3 times.

It has been a great joke of his over the years whenever I see a new gadget I really want to lean over and whisper sweetly in my ear SnackMaster.

I didint buy it myself but my roomates got me an electric friolator for X-Mass about 3 years ago. I've probably used it twice. I mean I can understand some people loving it but Im just the anti-fry guy. I bake everything, or fry with high heat and minimal oil.

An Osterizer blender. I unfortunately bought one for my friend for her birthday at the same time (margaritas in mind)...bad decision. This machine blends, crushes and 'smoothes' nothing!

Our first microwave. Huge, didn't fit well in our kitchen, underpowered, a real clunker, a total waste of money. Finally dumped it. Years later, bought another, much smaller one that sits on top of a bookcase in the computer area and has been wonderful.

Oh Uncle Bob, my waffle iron has been gathering dust for so long I forgot I even had one til you mentioned yours! Maybe I'll hunt it up and give it a new home somewhere else.
Terry

What? Waffle iron? Omigosh!

Buck and I have three. One regular one, one Belgian and one that makes Mikey Mouse head-shaped waffles. We use them all. Every once in a while Buck will ask for Mickey waffles for a weekend breakfast. I bought the Mickey Mouse one in the guise of serving waffles to our grandchildren. Although, I have to say I bought it before any of our children were even married. We've been enjoying Mickey waffles for a long time. They're better than the others.:LOL:

How funny, Katie E! I sometimes still cut my peanut butter sandwiches into a heart shape or a bat shape with big cookie cutters. I think they taste better, too. lol

My waffle iron is stuffed somewhere in a cabinet. My worst purchase was this silly thing from a TV ad. It was supposed to help you close ziploc bags and make the air go out. The stupid thing didn't even work once. I complained, got my refund then saw the same ad, bought it again. The thing worked once before it broke down. It's a little hand-held device that was used as a paper-weight but got annoyed looking at it and reminding me of my $20 lost. Last time I used it was for a meat tenderizer and tossed it with my waffle iron.

Well, back in the 'olden days' ('70-80's) Presto had these 'neat' gadgets - like their hamburger cooker and hot dog cooker. WHAT A WASTE! What was the point, anyway? I think I got mine at garage sales, and they are long gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom