"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard Scott Warren View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Here is what I decided to go with.

Thermador 36" Stainless Steel Gas Cook top
Thermador 36" stainless Steel vent hood
GE Cafe' 30" Duel Fuel Range
GE Cafe' Dishwasher
GE Cafe' Side by Side refrigerator
Sharp 24" slide in Microwafe
GE Cafe' 30" vent hood

I Chose thermador because it does everything wolf does for less money and has a good reputation with people in my area. I have been able to talk to builders and remodelers who were able to give me feedback on it.

I choose GE brand because I was told that for function non-high-end brands work better. And I want function as well since I will be using these items. In the end I don't believe a buyer will balk at GE vs Thermador/wolf/DCS/Viking/etc.

Howard
I hope you end up satidfied with your selections. Builders and remodelers are NOT cooks/cooking teachers. A good friend of mine here in New Jersey has built a successful career as a kitchen designer in part because she IS both cook and cooking teacher, and can give practical advice based on experience in the kitchen...

In the end, right now, buyers want stainless steel appliances, and I think you are right, they don't care who made them. If you sell in the era after stainless steel has gone out of fashion, you may well end up replacing your appliances to cater to the whims of the buyers at that time....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Thermador is a reputable company with a long product history.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I have been wondering how these units work. I have not seen them in person yet but they look really nice.

Anybody have any experience with the Turbochef units?
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Thermador 36" w/ extralow

We have the 36" Thermador cooktop in SS w/ the extralow feature; also matching 36" ss Thermador venthood; all installed in 2002. The extra-low took some getting used to, as the fuel shuts off for so many seconds, and fires on again - this could take 1 click or a dozen. Only regret, and this is a maybe as it would have meant more $$, was to go w/ professional series cooktop.

We also have a Wolf Double Oven - bought at the time on ebay for less than the professional series Thermador we always wanted. The thinking at the time was we were getting the creme-de-la-creme. Now, we're not sure if we would have been better off waiting & going w/ the Thermador oven, as well, for a little more money ...