"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Found waffle iron marked down

Buckytom - You bet. Before my extended siesta we used to dump some dough on a hot rock and plop another hot rock on top. Produced a gritty waffle but what the heck. That's why my kids called them awffles.

Thank you all for your great suggestions! I stumbled on a discounted Nickel Pearl Waffle Iron in cooking.com and ordered it. Their price is about $40 under all the others so it is a good deal if any of you are interested. Too expensive but I'm a sucker for a deal.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #12
Executive Chef

got a Black and Decker ... works great, cleans and stores easy.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
I am completely against chef endorsed equipment, but I purchased a unit by Emeril Legasse (it was on clearance for $15 at BB&B) that is waffle, grilled cheese sandwich and not sure what else maker. It comes with three sets of plates to toast different things.
I have been using it for at least 3 years and it works great, it has a variable thermostat that depending on what you are making you can preset to stop the heating unit at the desired time, I recommend it just for the waffles and the grilled cheese sandwiches.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:00 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I do not like waffle irons with non-stick finishes. The texture of the waffles is different. So I use two vintage waffle irons - probably from the 1940s. They work great and are not hard to clean.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Speaking of waffles. Has anybody ever seen a waffle maker that was for making round waffles, about 10 to 12 inches in diameter and only about 1/8 thick? My mom used to have one, and she'd make the waffels and then use the to make like a cake out of them, spreading frosting in between each layer, it was so yummy, mmmmmmmmmm
Old 11-09-2007, 06:33 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Waffles

DecoLady - I couldn't agree more! If the nonstick finish comes off the metal there can be trouble! And it is all too easy for the new non-stick finishes to degrade. Yikes! I am taking care to protect my expensive waffle maker's finish for sure!

CharlieD - Previously I never had much luck with Belgian waffles of any type - partially because of the complicated recipes. Now I seem to have some luck, thank goodness.
You might look at a pizzelle maker for really thin waffle-like (well, maybe "sorta" waffle-like) that you could stack nicely. They are very thin but not light and fluffy partially because they are so thin any air in them would make them too fragile to be handled. Also they are loaded with oil or butter and so not very good for us if eaten in quantities.

Rip
Old 11-11-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
Master Chef

Thank you, I thinl that is exactly what I need, or at least it sounds like. Gooing to search for them right now.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:09 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

CharlieD - Find a Russian or Eastern European grocery store. They sell those large thin crispy waffles already made.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:32 AM   #19
Master Chef

I know they do, but I can't buy them, I keep kosher, thank you though.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I have a Cuisinart one. It's got a red and green indicator light to tell you when its all heated enough, and you can choose how dark you want your waffles, then the green light comes on when they've been in long enough.
Now if I could just stop overfilling the darn thing....... I need one with a light for that.