"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ummm, ripvan, the last time you probably used a waffle iron, it needed to be heated in the fireplace.
You think your being funny, don't you?

Actually you are, that's besides the point.

I'm partial to my Griz.

In the '70s the Family bought two or three electric irons, some rather pricey, none worked that well.

I know, things have gotten better but you know how it is when your put off on something, ...

Yes, fire irons take allot more watching and care than the electrics, no silicone brain doing my thinking or tending chores, I think it's worth it.

Now I'm getting hungry again. LOL!

Old 02-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #22
Master Chef

Mine is not that old, but it has certainly seen a lot of use over the years:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaffleIron 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	3389   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaffleIron 003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	3390  

Old 02-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, wart and mav. those would be great for camping!

and i guess the next time i get shot, i'll ask you guys to slap iron to it.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I have a Cuisinart one. It's got a red and green indicator light to tell you when its all heated enough, and you can choose how dark you want your waffles, then the green light comes on when they've been in long enough.
Now if I could just stop overfilling the darn thing....... I need one with a light for that.
Wow! Ain't it the truth! I have that same Cuisenart Waffle maker. It makes very good waffles, if you have a good batter. The last batch I made, my wife complained because they were too light and crispy. Go figure. But I've used the thing 3 times since Christmas. Two of those times, I overfilled the appliance and had to clean up such a mess, I mean, uncooked waffle batter all over the breakfast bar, and partially cooked batter funning down all four sides of the appliance.

Also, I haven't quite figured out the correct heat setting for perfect waffles yet. I undercooked one batch and the waffles sepperated into 2 halves, one on the top grids, and one on the bottom grids. The waffles weren't completely set in the middle. Another batch came out so dark that they were almost past the point of no reture (inedible). But I finally came out with successful waffles, but didn't think to write down the setting I used. Also, to satisfy my wife, I will have to make a heavier batter (heavy sigh).

Still, I wish I could find a waffle maker with multiple grids. I've owned and wore out such a device, and at one time, saw one in K-Mart, but didn't buy it. Now, I wish I had. I can't find them locally, and now, can't justify the cost of purchasing one if I did find it.

I also have a belgian Waffle maker. The recipe isn't complicated, just time consuming as it uses a yeast-risen batter with folded-in egg-whites. But those waffles are well worth the extra time and effort as they are soooooo good.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I hope your waffle maker does all you want it to.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
You think your being funny, don't you?

Actually you are, that's besides the point.

I'm partial to my Griz.

In the '70s the Family bought two or three electric irons, some rather pricey, none worked that well.

I know, things have gotten better but you know how it is when your put off on something, ...

Yes, fire irons take allot more watching and care than the electrics, no silicone brain doing my thinking or tending chores, I think it's worth it.

Now I'm getting hungry again. LOL!
Now I'm seriously envious of you. I would love to have that iron.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #26
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
My ex-wife used to make waffles by pouring batter on the floor and stomping on it with hot sneakers. I, on the other hand, have a George Foreman 5 that makes excellent waffles, as long as you douse it liberally with cooking spray. No waffle will ever pop out of my toaster again.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:24 AM   #27
Master Chef

I do take mine camping, and the temp gages works well enough to give me an idea of where I want it when I start cooking them.
Only thing is that unlike Warts it has plastic on the handle, gotta watch that around the ol campfire, LOL.