Which pot works best on Glasstop Stove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2eat

Assistant Cook
I am just excited to own a glasstop stove (some called it "Smoothtop glass ceramic cooking surface" or "Radiant elements"). It's so modern and neat. But I have two problems:
  1. Takes 10 times longer to clean as compared to coil range. I do a complete "scrub down" on Saturdays by removing burnt stuff with a razor blade and use the cleaner from the manufacture. And, I also learned a few tricks from previous postings. I'll try that.
  2. The cookware was not steady... it kept turning when I stirred a pot of sauce. The bottom is similar to Circulon - like circled alumnium base.
So, Which pot works best on Glasstop Stove? Not sure if I got wrong kind of cookware.

Your pot bottom is not perfectly flat on the bottom. That's why it spins when you stir. If you are after new cookware give it a flatness test before buying. Some brands may not be flat or may warp after use. A quality tri-ply will work as would cast iron - enameled or basic.

The glass top stove requires a perfectly flat set of pans--my sister needed to replace her pans when she got one, as did we when we got one at our beach house. For the latter we got a set at Costco of their Calphalon "knockoff" line. There is also a good set of stainless there similar to All-Clad.
You need to wipe up spills and such every time you use the stove. I have loved ours at the beach and find it much easier to keep clean than our home stove. Leaving things to burn on always makes it harder. Soft Scrub is basically the same thing as the manufacturer's stuff.
Cast iron is fine to use BUT do NOT pull it across the surface--lift it up, or it may scratch. Some has a small lip on the bottom so it is not completely in contact with the surface but it is OK--just takes longer to heat up.

Andy M. said:
...If you are after new cookware give it a flatness test before buying. Some brands may not be flat or may warp after use. .
thanks Andy!
you're right, I bought the pot at a bargain, didn't really think about the flatness. :)

Candocook said:
... do NOT pull it across the surface--lift it up, or it may scratch...
Thanks, Candocook! It's always a good idea to protect my surface.
:)

Last edited:
I have much glasstop experience : cleaning will be easier if you give your stovetop a daily cleaning. Always use clean damp paper towels then a dry one. Use razor blade and ceramic cleaner when needed.

Pots: any flat bottom pot will cook fine on your stove be it grooved like circulon or qvc techniques or really smooth flat like Allclad or Calphalon. If it spins a bit you know to hold the handle. THe important thing is the heating, and that it doesn't rock back and forth with the movement of the food in the pot.

Robo has hit the nail on the head. I find the Calphalon cookware works best for me. I also have some really good Magnalite (that is no longer made), that also works great on the glasstop. I'm not that fond of cast iron, but it works fine, too, as long as it has a flat bottom.

Wouldn't trade my glass-top stove for the world...it's so easy to keep clean. We wipe it off with a soapy dishcloth, wipe with a clean towel, and call it done until the cleaning lady come on Friday. She uses the special cleaner on it.
Another thing I love about it is the accuracy of the thermostats...both oven and top. It is an excellent appliance.

love2eat said:
is it a brand? where can I get it?

It's the kind of pot you buy on a street corner from a shady looking guy wearing a hoodie and looking over his shoulder all the time.

Andy M. said:
It's the kind of pot you buy on a street corner from a shady looking guy wearing a hoodie and looking over his shoulder all the time.

And admins won't delete it? Hmmmm.

Andy, Great sense of humor. I needed a laugh this morning. Thanks

Andy M. said:

Man, are you out of touch. All you need now is a prescription, and a participating pharmacy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom