"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
If you had a couple of pounds of meat to grind, I wonder which would be faster. You'd have to do small batches in the FP, filling and emtying in between. I don't know what the throughput on th KA grinder is.

Usually, the KA grinder is operated at a lower speed, so you can't set the speed too high.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 PM   #22
Master Chef

Well, Corey - I have both ... and the difference is the texture. And, I'm not even going to go into the differences of how the two work since I know you're familiar with Hobart commercial equipment ... so think of this as a comparison between a Buffalo Chipper and a Meat Grinder.

What does speed have to do with anything?

Old 12-15-2006, 07:04 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

I have the grinder attachment for my KA which does a good job - also have my mother's grinder it is one of those old things must be about 60 years old and can't find parts for it anymore, it clamps on the table and you turn a handle to operate it wish the blades were sharp since it would be a lot less bother than hauling out the Ka and attachment - no good reason why i am hanging on to it must be sentiment
Joyce
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I'd guess that the parts for your mother's grinder are still the same as what they make now!!
Speed of the KA--continuous feed. Grind 10# of meat by just putting it in the top, tamping it down and putting in some more. Same speed, no stopping--just keep grinding.
The FP is not an adequate meat "grinder".
Old 12-16-2006, 12:03 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
got me a grinder on my KA
ditto - love it

The food grinder makes a GREAT gazpacho!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

Have both. Can think of almost no application where I prefer the FP to the grinders (have both electric and hand-cranked). Better quality, more consistent and wider range of grind sizes. About the only thing a FP does better is a forcemeat, and even that can be done better with a grinder if you have the right sized plate (not available for electrics, AFAIK).
Old 12-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Well, Corey - I have both ... and the difference is the texture. And, I'm not even going to go into the differences of how the two work since I know you're familiar with Hobart commercial equipment ... so think of this as a comparison between a Buffalo Chipper and a Meat Grinder.

What does speed have to do with anything?

Most of the attachments or accessories for the K'Aid Stand Mixer call for you to set the mixer at a certain speed for use.

There ARE acually three types of grinders;

1. Hand crank operated.

2. Self-contained unit (has its own motor).

3. The accessory attachment for your stand mixer.

Yes, I've seen the Buffalo Chopper at work. I've even used one on several occassions.
It was a wide heavy stainless steel bowl that slowly rotates. And the blade is an S-shaped one that spins vertically on a horizontally-mounted pole.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:55 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Yes, it does require a certain setting, but it doesn't have to be started and stopped as you would with a FP. And it is a constant speed that turns the meat out into the waiting bowl. I don't know what speed has to do with the subject either.
And I would/have never bother(ed) to get the grinder out for gazpacho. FP is plenty good for that task for me. In fact, I don't think I can picture celery and cucumbers coming through my grinder. I have used my KA shredder for gazpacho before the age of FPs.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candocook
...I don't know what speed has to do with the subject either...
I asked about relative speeds. If you have a large quantity of meat to grind, speed may be a consideration in choosing one device over another.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:23 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Basically, that's what I was trying to say.