"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Who Owns a Food Grinder?

Just being a little bit nosey.

But how many of you own a food grinder? For years, I pondered getting one for my K'Aid Stand Mixer, but the food processor always wins out. Mainly because it was always on the counter ready to use at a moment's notice!

How many of you think that your food processor is better? How many of you think that a grinder is better, and the reasons why for both? Should I stick with the FP or should I get a grinder?

I, myself, think that the FP would continue to suffice. Especially my K'Aid FP, since it's their top-of-the-line model and is a real powerhouse and workhorse!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:28 AM   #2
Head Chef

Depends on whatcha planning on grinding.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I have had one for many years and use it. I also have the top of the line KA FP and use it, but not for grinding meat.
I make sausage, occasionally grind my own hamburger, venison burger. The food processor gives an entirely different texture, in my opinion. And if you go just a bit too far, it is mush.
As StirBlue says, it really depends. For sausage stuffing, you can't do it in a FP.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
Executive Chef

got me a grinder on my KA
Old 12-15-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I used the KA attachment for several years...it does a pretty good job for small amounts of "grind"...However last year I moved to a table top grinder that has a larger capacity(more lbs. per minute) due to we were processing so much deer...A KA food processor does not produce the same results as a grinder....really two different animals.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I have the KA attachment. We make our own sausage, and grind our own meat. As stated above, the food processor can turn it to mush if you're not careful!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I imagine that with a food processor, you must use the pulse button a few times so that you don't mush the meat.

Unless you want meat for a pate`. I'll probably get the K'Aid grinder attachment the next time I see one.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

The KA grinder attachment gives you ground meat that has the texture of supermarket ground meat.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Sous Chef

And it gives 3 different grinds--coarse, medium or fine.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Our Braun handheld food mixer has been a loyal and constant companion ever since we bought it almost 3 years ago, compact enough, powerful enough, easy enough to wash, and always works very well. However it has started to showing the sign of wear and tear. Seems like too short of a life span, but I see the problem in the parts which are the most vulnerable (and exactly where is wearing out) made with plastic. When we have to replace it, we will make darn sure to buy a model made with all stainless steal!