Who Owns a Food Grinder?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Just being a little bit nosey.

But how many of you own a food grinder? For years, I pondered getting one for my K'Aid Stand Mixer, but the food processor always wins out. Mainly because it was always on the counter ready to use at a moment's notice!

How many of you think that your food processor is better? How many of you think that a grinder is better, and the reasons why for both? Should I stick with the FP or should I get a grinder?

I, myself, think that the FP would continue to suffice. Especially my K'Aid FP, since it's their top-of-the-line model and is a real powerhouse and workhorse!

Last edited:
I have had one for many years and use it. I also have the top of the line KA FP and use it, but not for grinding meat.
I make sausage, occasionally grind my own hamburger, venison burger. The food processor gives an entirely different texture, in my opinion. And if you go just a bit too far, it is mush.
As StirBlue says, it really depends. For sausage stuffing, you can't do it in a FP.

I used the KA attachment for several years...it does a pretty good job for small amounts of "grind"...However last year I moved to a table top grinder that has a larger capacity(more lbs. per minute) due to we were processing so much deer...A KA food processor does not produce the same results as a grinder....really two different animals.

I have the KA attachment. We make our own sausage, and grind our own meat. As stated above, the food processor can turn it to mush if you're not careful!

I imagine that with a food processor, you must use the pulse button a few times so that you don't mush the meat.

Unless you want meat for a pate`. I'll probably get the K'Aid grinder attachment the next time I see one.

The KA grinder attachment gives you ground meat that has the texture of supermarket ground meat.

Our Braun handheld food mixer has been a loyal and constant companion ever since we bought it almost 3 years ago, compact enough, powerful enough, easy enough to wash, and always works very well. However it has started to showing the sign of wear and tear. Seems like too short of a life span, but I see the problem in the parts which are the most vulnerable (and exactly where is wearing out) made with plastic. When we have to replace it, we will make darn sure to buy a model made with all stainless steal!

I have had both for a very long time, and use them both, but for different purposes. No matter how finely it chops, the Cuisinart doesn't "grind." so the texture is different.

I've always made chopped liver in the grinder, pate in the food processor... :)

Guess I must be living in the Dark Ages. Even though I have a wonderful K.A. stand mixer, I don't have a food grinder attachment for it. Instead I rely on my trusty "Universal" clamp-on food grinder. I've had it for years and it has always served me well. With all the different plates, I can grind anything from fine to extra-coarse.

Corey123 said:
Just being a little bit nosey.

But how many of you own a food grinder? ...
How many of you think that your food processor is better? How many of you think that a grinder is better, and the reasons why for both? Should I stick with the FP or should I get a grinder?

I, myself, think that the FP would continue to suffice. Especially my K'Aid FP, since it's their top-of-the-line model and is a real powerhouse and workhorse!
I think that as long as you think the "FP would continue to suffice" there is no reason to buy a meat grinder. I use the KA stand mixer food grinder attachment to grind meat. For me what makes it worthwhile is grinding meats and making sausage.

If it disappeared I'd replace it with a good manual grinder.

ahains said:

I don't get the "fatwallet" thing. Is shipping free, as it usually is on AMazon.
That is a GREAT deal for anyone who wants one.

Here it is on amazon. Free shipping. A little more.
Amazon.com: KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers: Home & Garden

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
The KA grinder attachment gives you ground meat that has the texture of supermarket ground meat.

I kind of figured that. I've seen chef Mario Batali use one on his show Moto Mario.

If you had a couple of pounds of meat to grind, I wonder which would be faster. You'd have to do small batches in the FP, filling and emtying in between. I don't know what the throughput on th KA grinder is.

Katie, I have the same grinder. My ex-MIL bought it for me over 35 years ago, and after miles and miles of grinding ham salad, balogna spread, and relish, it's still like new. When Kim's folks passed, I kept their grinder, also. You never know when one of the kids is going to need something.

I have one for my KA now, and I really do like it. But as long as you've still got the elbow, you go girl!

Katie E said:
Guess I must be living in the Dark Ages. Even though I have a wonderful K.A. stand mixer, I don't have a food grinder attachment for it. Instead I rely on my trusty "Universal" clamp-on food grinder. I've had it for years and it has always served me well. With all the different plates, I can grind anything from fine to extra-coarse.

I also have the old-old type that screws on the counter. I have to go down to my dh work shop and use his workbench. I just used it to grind my cranberries for relish. Still works great. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Kitchen Aid with all the attachments. Maybe Santa Claus will read this post.:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom