"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-14-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
To remove the turkey just put a couple slices of bread through the grinder - this will help push the turkey out. Any bread that is left in there can be easily soaked and washed out. Be a bit patient and give it some soaking time though.

I use mine to make gazpacho! It makes the BEST gazpacho. I can use the bigger grind for chunkier but I usually end up using both blades in there. Still chunky but smaller chunks. I end up at the end putting a slice or two of bread in there and leaving it in the gazpacho - it has never hurt a thing by being in there. I'm not suggesting you use the bread in your ground turkey, only telling you what I do with my gazpacho.

This left-over gazpacho can be strained a bit the next day to use as a salsa over some white chicken enchiladas with black beans.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have an old (clamp-on) Universal grinder that, too, smells a bit like metal. But, as someone said earlier, it is metal after all. If I've ground meat in my grinder, I usually run several slices of old bread through it to sort of pre-clean it before I wash it in hot soapy water before storing it away.

In addition to grinding meats, I use mine to grind walnuts for an ethnic bread called Potica (pronounced po-teet-sa) and to grind fresh pears for to make pear honey.

It's a wonderful old tool I wouldn't be without.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
KATIE E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, off topic) My mother made Potica. When she passed away I looked everywhere on the net for a recipe for Potizza or Poteeza - or Patezza, or SOMETHING. I finally posted my question somewhere and someone from just a few miles from where I grew up came to my rescue! That stuff is awesome but I have never tackled the recipe - it looks so time-consuming!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
KATIE E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (sorry, off topic) My mother made Potica. When she passed away I looked everywhere on the net for a recipe for Potizza or Poteeza - or Patezza, or SOMETHING. I finally posted my question somewhere and someone from just a few miles from where I grew up came to my rescue! That stuff is awesome but I have never tackled the recipe - it looks so time-consuming!
Vicky,

Don't be intimidated. It's really quite easy. And yummy, as you already know.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:27 PM   #15
Senior Cook

My family actually eats Ground Roast Beef Hash for our Christmas Dinner. We've had it for as long as anyone in my family can remember.

As bad as it sounds, it tastes phenominal..

Here's the basic recipe..

- Cooked Beef Roast
- Cooked Potatos
- Cooked Onions
- A little Milk
- A little Butter

Basically, you grind the roast, potatoes, and onion together. I do about 1-2(or 3) ratio of Meat to Potato.. Then I add some milk (Sorry, not an exact science). Bake it in the oven at 350 until it's nice and hot. Since it's all pre-cooked, it's not really necessary, just nice to eat warm.

To serve, place on your plate like Mashed potatoes, load on the butter and salt, and enjoy!

It's something that scares most people until they try it..

-Brad
Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I have a KA grinder that fits on the mixer. It works fine, I like to grind ham for ham loaf.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Like Katie E said running some bread will get out the metal smell and oil I would wash it well let dry and run some more bread thru and maybe repeat they also recommend it on your new new pasta makers as well and it works on electric coffee grinders also.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I LOVE my grinder, I'll never buy store hamburger again (cept in a pinch).
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I'm back from AZ, ready to grind again.I did soak the parts in warm water ,it takes some serious washing( because of raw meat).Thanks for all the good suggestions:
no pam
washing in the dis washer after removing the chunks of meat
I thought adding pieces of pepper,onions and spices will really change the taste of plain old turkey.
My hairdresser said she mixes some fat free beef into the turkey so it has a better consistence and flavor.
MDH had high cholesterol, after changing the way I cook (I need to loose weight) his number are excellent, the good chol. is way up.