"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Who owns a meat grinder and uses it

I have and meat grinder/mincer made by ALFA 8,is new ,galvanized and I would like to grind turkey, is clean but smells like metal.Any ideas how to get the smell out,how to use and clean.I'd love to hear from someone that uses a grinder.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Have you washed it in very hot water? It may have a coating on the metal. Maybe put some baking soda in the water and then rinse well.
But, truth be told, it IS metal, and will smell like metal. It doesn't mean it will transfer that to your meat. I have a grinder but haven't really thought to smell it.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Who owns a meat grinder

I'll try the soda wash.Thanks.
What type of meat do you grind, do you mix condiments with the meat prior to grinding?I'm like a kid with a new toy.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #4
Master Chef

I use mine to make sandwich spread...ham or balogna spread. I grind the meat with hard-boiled eggs and cheese, then mix with Miracle Whip, mustard and sweet pickle relish. It's delish! You can also make it with leftover roast, beef or pork.
You can also grind turkey or pork to make your own breakfast sausage, or grind vegetables to make relish.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior Cook

I used to do the same thing with my mother's very old meat grinder with left over pot roast- best foods, pickle relish and I would also grind a little onion. Yum, have not had it in years.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Meat grinder

Today I used to grind turkey,I bought turkey "London broil" and decided to make meat balls, I always stayed away from supermarket ground turkey.
I was easy to grind, but cleaning was difficult, turkey stuck every-were in the machine, I'm always buying brushes ,now I'm glad I had them they really helped.
Next time I'm using oil or Pam,before grinding , I will add chopped onions and garlic to the chunks, I'm leaving for AZ. next Tuesday, so the grinder will be resting, after that WATCH OUT turkey breasts.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 PM   #7
Cook

Salmon is nice with the coarse grinder (large holes)
Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

Hi, so were you able to wash the smell of? I usually put mine into dishwasher, warks fine. As far as grinding, I use mine quite bit. For a lot of things. I reraly buy store ground meat. As far as grinding "condiments", what did you mean by that? I do grind bread and onion and garlic alone with meat, then the meat balls come out tasting more evenly. Also I doubt pam will help you with cleaning, just grind onion or bread at the end, it will push all the meat thru and it will be easier to clean.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I was easy to grind, but cleaning was difficult, turkey stuck every-were in the machine, I'm always buying brushes ,now I'm glad I had them they really helped.
I would suggest just letting it soak in a big sink or container of hot soapy water. Then swish it around well. I think most things will come out quite easily. I would definitely NOT put pam on it. That will just make another layer of film that may be really hard to get off.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:38 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two..both SS. I use the small one fairly often. The lager one less often.
The "smell" you refer too sounds like the smell of galvanized metal. If used frequently and washed properly then the smell will go away. Only to return if not used for a long period of time...

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote