"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 PM   #51
Master Chef

My "rice cooker" gives me perfect results every time .... a 4-qt pot with 2 cups rice and 4 cups water ... bring it to a boil, slap on the lid, reduce the heat to the lowest setting for 15 minutes - turn heat off and let sit for 10-15 minutes - then fluff with a fork.

I know it's not exotic and nothing to give me "my gizmo is better than yours" bragging rights ... but I didn't spend the extra $$ for something that what I already had could do.

And ... unless you are using a "pressure" rice cooker... how will it cook rice any faster?

And, oh my gosh - how did people in Asia cook perfect rice for several thousand years without your ultimate electric rice cooker????

Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Don't think I heard of a pressure rice cooker. And I've never used any of my pressure cookers for rice.

Most of the higher price rice cookers, and even the low priced ones, there is no temp control, since the thing automatically computes that for you on its own.

How DID the people in Asia do that? Hmmm, I wonder.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #53
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
My "rice cooker" gives me perfect results every time .... a 4-qt pot with 2 cups rice and 4 cups water ... bring it to a boil, slap on the lid, reduce the heat to the lowest setting for 15 minutes - turn heat off and let sit for 10-15 minutes - then fluff with a fork.

I know it's not exotic and nothing to give me "my gizmo is better than yours" bragging rights ... but I didn't spend the extra $$ for something that what I already had could do.

And ... unless you are using a "pressure" rice cooker... how will it cook rice any faster?

And, oh my gosh - how did people in Asia cook perfect rice for several thousand years without your ultimate electric rice cooker????
Jeez, man, way to rain on the poor guy's parade.

I don't think anyone who finds a fuzzy logic rice cooker to be extremely useful is bragging. Sure you can cook rice in a pot; I did it for years. But I never had the consistently perfect rice that I get with my "gizmo" rice cooker. It automatically adjusts to different grains. There's no bringing water to a boil, then adding rice, them making sure you have just the right simmer. You just throw it in and turn it on. It keeps rice warm for several hours, if need be, and if you have the nonstick variety, it's a breeze to clean. And as I mentioned in a couple other posts, there are myriad other uses for the cooker. I find I use this one appliance at least a couple times a week. So it was well worth the money.

No, it doesn't cook rice any faster. I wasn't aware that anyone thought that it did. In fact, my cooker actually takes longer because it has a built-in soaking cycle, although it does also have a "quick cook" option.

As for how Asians managed before, well, that's a bit of a Luddite argument. Anyway, I do believe that Asians are particularly fond of these appliances now.

So each to his own. Right?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I hadn't even thought about getting a rice cooker until Ming Sai made the statement that almost every body in Asia used electric rice cookers.

My Zoji isn't fuzzy logic but it takes about 25 min to make 3 of thier cups/scoops of rice.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:17 PM   #55
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
I don't know, I wasn't in Asia for the last several thousand years, but I can tell you how they do it now. WITH A RICE COOKER! In fact, rice cookers are the largest selling countertop appliance in Asia.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Jeez, man, way to rain on the poor guy's parade.

I don't think anyone who finds a fuzzy logic rice cooker to be extremely useful is bragging. Sure you can cook rice in a pot; I did it for years. But I never had the consistently perfect rice that I get with my "gizmo" rice cooker. It automatically adjusts to different grains. There's no bringing water to a boil, then adding rice, them making sure you have just the right simmer. You just throw it in and turn it on. It keeps rice warm for several hours, if need be, and if you have the nonstick variety, it's a breeze to clean. And as I mentioned in a couple other posts, there are myriad other uses for the cooker. I find I use this one appliance at least a couple times a week. So it was well worth the money.

No, it doesn't cook rice any faster. I wasn't aware that anyone thought that it did. In fact, my cooker actually takes longer because it has a built-in soaking cycle, although it does also have a "quick cook" option.

As for how Asians managed before, well, that's a bit of a Luddite argument. Anyway, I do believe that Asians are particularly fond of these appliances now.

So each to his own. Right?

They ARE quite fond of these, but they use the giant ones that cook up to 20 cups or more of white rice.

I guess, because the stove is used mainly for the large woks that allows the cooks to stir fry and boil foods in large quantities.

And like the home units, these also keep the rice warm. Because I'm limited to the amount of salt I can use, and I've done this for years, when ordering Chinese food with rice, I always ask for the plain boiled rice. There's no salt or fat in it.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Don't think I heard of a pressure rice cooker. And I've never used any of my pressure cookers for rice.

Most of the higher price rice cookers, and even the low priced ones, there is no temp control, since the thing automatically computes that for you on its own.

How DID the people in Asia do that? Hmmm, I wonder.
I finally took a look at the link you provided to your rice cooker. I think it is a bit different than mine in that the one I have (a very large Panasonic fuzzy logic cooker) doesn't require that you soak brown rice separately. Both the white and brown rice settings include that automatically. The "quick" cycle skips it.

Whatever the differences, though, I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Thank you!

I'm quite happy with mine. It's small, but it does the job quite well.

You must have a 10-cup cooker.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #59
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Has anyone ever made Spanish rice (fried in oil with added peppers and spices) in a rice cooker? Will it work well?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #60
Executive Chef

The recipe booklet that came with mine has a recipe for Red Rice, which I think IS Spanish Rice. But I haven't made any in the cooker yet.