"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #71
Sous Chef

That would work great if everyone had the proper length finger, all rice was the same, and everyone lived in the same place. I'm willing to bet the farm that Julia Child had a longer finger than Sara Moultons!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:11 PM   #72
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
When I cook my rice, apart from the traditional risotto recipe, I have been cooking them rolling in the boiling water, which means sort of like pasta, then drain them in a sieve. For basmati, very short, about 10-12 min., arborio and other salad rices a bit longer, 16-17 minutes. Been working perfectly this way, except for one little problem, the morsels of rice tend to get stuck in between the grooves of the sieve which is a great pain to remove, but as I mentioned earlier, the rice cooking ball has been a great solution to cook the rice in this method!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:28 PM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron W.
Many people try using the old 1 cup rice 2 cups water in rice cookers and that usually doesn't work. This is too much water for most cookers and will make the cooker spew water all over the counter top. Then the person that didn't read the instructions will tell everyone that the cooker doesn't work and then give it away or put it with the junk cookware that also didn't work as advertised because they didn't read the instructions for that either.

They need to use the cup that comes with the cooker and fill the cook pot with water to the marks on the side of the pan.

I did it that way with mine.

For the one that I bought, the rice & water ratio is 1-1/2 cups of raw rice with 3 cups of water. And yes, adding the water directly into the bowl is better. It eliminates all of the hassles and bother. And it was a success on the first try!

And I LOVE the smell and taste of basmati rice!! Better than regular rice. The Indians use it with their meals especially with curried soups and stews.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #74
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
That would work great if everyone had the proper length finger, all rice was the same, and everyone lived in the same place. I'm willing to bet the farm that Julia Child had a longer finger than Sara Moultons!
The technique that Caine mentioned is actually a well known way of cooking rice. Many Asians do it this way. I learned this from Ming Tsai. It does not matter what length the finger is as it is going by height, not length.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #75
Executive Chef

I've seen Ming Tsai cook on his former show East Meets West and his present
show Simply Ming.

Don't remember seeing him cook rice on either show though.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #76
Sous Chef

GB - Regardless, everyone's hand is different, which means that the ratio of water to rice would be different for every person and every cooking vessel.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #77
Chief Eating Officer

Nick I understand your logic, but all I know is that this technique has worked for millions of people for thousands of years.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:34 AM   #78
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Nick I understand your logic, but all I know is that this technique has worked for millions of people for thousands of years.
As I said elsewhere, I have been using a rice cooker for over 25 years, and I have never measured either the amount of rice or the amount of water, although I know the recommended ratios by heart. Now, I am a reasonably intelligent man, so you'd think that, if it wasn't working after 25 years, I would probably stop doing it that way.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #79
Assistant Cook

I have a non-stick rice cooker which I bought at a yard sale for 4 bucks. It works great and wouldn't go without one. I measure the water by placing my hand on top of the rice, the water mark is close to my nuckles...its easier than measuring with a cup. I highly advice getting one...I would make sure you spend the extra to get one that latches (not the kind that has the cover that sits on the top) I think they work better.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #80
Assistant Cook

...you have to play with the water line to see what level works best for your hand...