"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-18-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Question Who Owns a Rice Cooker?

I was thinking about getting one of these.

But I need to know how they work and which size to get. Don't want one that's too big. Maybe a small one, 3 to 5 cups.

I'm leaning more toward a Zojirushi unit though.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I own a rice cooker, and if you live nearby let me know- I will give it to you.
It burns the rice, it makes the rice too sticky. It is a hard thing to clean, and it was probably worth the cheap price I paid for it.

My advice is to get an expensive one if you get any at all. It will probably work.
We don't make rice often enough to justify it.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I reside on the East Coast - Massachusetts, as the info under my avator says.

But if it burns the rice, then why would you want to give it to ME? What brand is it? I think the Zojiroushi is a good brand. Some of them are a bit expensive.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I actually have two.. Although, I cannot remember the name brand. I wouldn't go without personally. I think they make a better tasting rice, that is always done exactly the way I like it. And that's not burned.. I usually cook either Jasmine, Bas Mahti, or Wild Rice in the rice cooker. They function exactly the same as the ones I used while I was a chef at a Korean Restaurant.

I highly recommend them, and have purchased 2 more as a Christmas Gifts. You can start out with a $19.99 model from LNT or Wal-Mart and it'll suit you just fine until you find out just how much you use it..

I have both a 3 cup and a 16 cup.. I am giving my 3 cup away.. Or putting it in the camper.. :)

-Brad
Old 12-18-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I own a medium and a large one. The medium one is packed away for now. The large one takes up to 10 cups of rice (the plastic measuring cup that comes with it) and I use it mainly when I have to preparel rice for a large number of guests. If you are thinking of buying one, I would recommend the non-stick type. Zoshirushi is a good brand and you should go for it. The reason why the rice burns in Hopz's cooker is perhaps because the pot is made out of aluminium. Usually the rice cooker will come with accessories like plastic spoon and plastic measuring cup. It has 2 buttons, cook and warm. To boil rice just press the 'cook' button. Once the rice is cooked, it will automatically turn to 'warm' mode.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
I own a rice cooker, and if you live nearby let me know- I will give it to you.
It burns the rice, it makes the rice too sticky. It is a hard thing to clean, and it was probably worth the cheap price I paid for it.

My advice is to get an expensive one if you get any at all. It will probably work.
We don't make rice often enough to justify it.
On getting burnt rice, perhaps you should take the pot out from the cooker the moment the rice is cooked and serve immediately rather than let it sit in it. That was how I did it when I was using non-stick rice cooker a long time ago. As to the rice being too sticky, is it possible that you put too much water? From what I know, for one cup of rice using the measuring cup provided, you add water up to the mark indicated in the pot. If you are using 'new' rice which makes the rice softer or a different type of short grain rice, you will need to reduce the water slightly. Recently DH bought some store brand short grain rice for me to try. The first few packets turned out very well, however the subsequent ones gave me very wet and soggy rice. I was rather puzzled about it and started reducing the water by 1/4 cup (the rice is cooked over the stove so the measurement is 1 cup rice to 1-1/2 cup water). That did the trick!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I have a 10-cup Panasonic fuzzy logic rice cooker. That's the brand that WS sells, but I bought it elsewhere online. It is just about the only kitchen appliance I use at least once a week -- other than something like a toaster or coffee pot, of course.

It's extremely simple (and easy to clean), and I have never been disappointed in the results, regardless whether I'm cooking long-grain, basmati, jasmine, brown, or short-grain rices. II love the Keep Warm feature, although I usually don't let it sit for more than an hour or so. The cooker is also great for other grains, as well as legumes, and it's perfect for steaming.

The pamphlet that came with my rice cooker was not very helpful, at least for an English-speaking person. So I highly recommend a wonderful cookbook entitled "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger & Julie Kaufmann. It is a big book, one that I find very useful. You can probably find a used copy on Amazon or eBay. There's a recipe in the book for an Asian-inspired one-pot dish with rice, veggies, and boneless chicken that takes less than ten minutes to put together and is quite good.

And no, I don't own stock in the company.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I have two in the basement, used to use them, but not in years -- pan is good enough for me!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
We have a 5-cup Salton rice cooker and like it a lot. Since it's usually just the two of us, the size is about right. Never had a problem with it and it also has a steamer insert. I really love using that to cook potatoes for potato salad, etc., steaming green beans and other veggies. It's nice for this purpose because I don't have to babysit a pot and there's very little to clean up. It can also be used to make oatmeal for breakfast and keep it warm.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I have a Kenwood rice cooker/steamer, it`ll take 7 cups or as little as one.
my rice turns out just great when using it, but as there`s only 2 of us that eat rice, it only gets used when I`m cooking for more people. it`s a non stick type also, it`s just that I lack the counter-top area to use it as regularly now.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote