Why a Dutch Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironchef said:
I think that's only if you're using it in a professional kitchen doing high volume. I don't see how this would happen in a home kitchen unless you absolutely abused your Le Creuset.

Those are very comforting words IC. Thanks!

Chopstix said:
By the way, I've noticed that the inside of the cover of a Staub dutch oven has many round nubs that are equally spaced out. I gather this is to evenly redistribute condensed steam back into the food as water. The LC cover doesn't have these nubs.

Can anyone say if there's any difference in performance? TIA!

I can't give a direct comparison, but I have a large LC Dutch oven (13 qt.), a smaller one (also LC--5 qt.), and a much smaller (3 qt.?) cast iron one that I inherited from my grandmother. The small one (inherited, cast iron) has the "nubs" to redistribute the juices. For small pot roasts or other braises, the cast iron is by far superior. Pot roasts come out juicier and more tender than in either of the others. I must say, though, that the large LC, when using a large cut of meat, produces a superb pot roast or other braise. I tend to use the large LC and the small in tandem--I give the large roast the room it needs to cook, then transfer it to the small one for leftovers/reheating. Braised meat is always best the next day!

PamC said:
my question is: What does a Dutch Oven do that neither a casserole, slow cooker or regular pot can do
Pam
> A cast iron dutch oven with a tight fitting lid will make perfect rice or other grains every time because the sides (and top, if it also is cast iron) as well as the bottom retain the heat and the rice cooks with even heat on all sides. If your stove cannot maintain a gentle simmer (many can't), use an inexpensive heat diffuser between the burner and the pot
> Easy Stove-top Roasted Garlic Using Cast Iron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom