"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Old 03-04-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom
is a professional salamander the same thing as a broiler in a home oven, just more btu's??
Yep! Sturdier construction, as well. Usually the "rack" raises up and down, as well as slides in and out. It has a pivoting lock mechanism to keep it from falling to the bottom setting while you're broiling.

Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:15 AM   #12
Head Chef
You shouldn't have to worry about fire when broiling. You might get an occasional poof of flame when the product spits directly on the heat source, but it shouldn't actually be any sort of a fire hazard.

I broil often with many different meats and fish, and quite often I will lightly paint the cuts with oil (olive or vegetable, depending on what I think works best ).... It both helps the food retain moisture and cook better, but it also helps to hold the herbs and seasonings on the meat while it's cooking. I've never had any sort of fire, even when accidentally overcooking something.

RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:52 AM   #13
Executive Chef
I'm in an apartment that has an old-style gas stove (Magee).

The oven has two burners. The one under it is for the oven itself. The one at the top of the oven is for the broiler. So the oven is also the broiler.

Plus there's another gas burner on the side for heat in the winter.
Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:04 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
simple and cheap

When the broiler element is on the bottom not the top you cannot store stuff in that drawer under the oven because that is where you broil the food. You also have to be more vigilant because the food is quite close to the flame and food can burn if you do not keep a close eye on it. You cannot find a top broiler that does not have a computerized panel control for the oven. These computer panels make stoves more expensive, are awkward to use and they frequently break and when they do it is expensive to replace. I cook and bake every day and this is the best stove I have ever used and it is cheap!...not beautiful, just practical!
Hotpoint RGB530DET
lordflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Could someone please move this thread to the "Today's Funny" forum?
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef
You're very lucky to have gas stove with broiler. They actually work. I hate all my electric stoves they don't broil at all. Enjoy it!

Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote