"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

There is a Hobart M-50 five quart mixer on eBay auction at $299.00 right now. Says free shipping, with bowl but no attachments and "works great". Lots of K5 and K45 machines there too. Not mine, never seen it.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:13 AM   #32
Assistant Cook

Yes, you will be very happy with the KichenAId mixer and regret if you did not buy the real thing. I love mine for 15 years now and couldn't do without. This truly is a high quality mixer and will be a hugh asset :-)

Old 05-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

I bought a used one on Craigs list this weekend and I have already used it 3 times today. I wanted one for a long time and I am glad I finally got one.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreksbro View Post
Hello everyone, I could use some advice from some more experienced bakers. I'm looking lustfully at the KA Artisan mixer and wondering if I'll regret it. They are horrendously expensive here in Australia, but anything else won't look as pretty in my little country kitchen and will therefore get hidden away (and used less). I've also read that they aren't the first choice for serious bread bakers, and I'm wondering whether that should bother me.

I've just bought an Esse wood-fired oven/heater which will be running all winter, essentially giving me a 'free' oven to use. I plan to bake my own bread (and pizza, and pastry, and merinques etc), and I generally prefer wholemeal, wholegrain and light rye styles of bread. I have no idea how much dough I'll be making at a time, I'm single so I don't see a need for huge loaves, but it is likely they will be from quite dense doughs. The oven isn't massive at 12"W x 13"H x 17"D so I guess I'm limited anyway to one large loaf or maybe two small ones at a time.

So, do you think a KA will keep me happy?
KA mixers are widely used on television on both American and British cooking programmes on television if you consider this is a good recommendation. People I know who own them speak highly of them and they are indeed, as you say, pretty. I have inherited my Mother's (British)Kenwood Chef which is still going strong after more than 30 years. Not pretty though, in fact. very old fashioned in design. (A secret part of me does lust after a red KA, though)

Bread and cake do freeze well in the main so even if you live alone it's worth batch baking.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

I bought the KA Accolade 400 several years ago. It gets regular use from burger mix to bread dough and has given me no trouble whatsoever. Thoroughly recommended.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I would suggest not storing it near a toilet <g>.
Now if I could just stop laughing and finish reading this thread. A good one CWS, a really good one. That one brought a real deep belly laugh from me.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I have the same beater, and I wouldn't be without one now. Not only is it good for smaller batches, and scraping the bowl, it is much more efficient at creaming, stuff beats up fluffier and quicker.
I have had my KA Classic for more than twenty years. It sits very proudly on my counter. I also have the scraper and never bring out the regular one that came with it. What I like about the scraper is that it even scrapes right down to the bottom of the bowl. I also have the meat grinder and the pasta maker. For Christmas my son bought me the very expensive glass bowl. It is a five quart with a cover. The Classic is the very low end of the KA line. And mine has made bread, pasta, cakes galore, and so many other things. If mine can stand up to all I have put it through, imagine what yours can do.

Go for it. You will be sorry if you don't. Every so often we have to feed the hunger side of ourselves when we see something we want so badly. Go for it. Today. And if you have tears of joy running down your cheeks, don't be surprised.

And welcome to DC. We have another Aussie folks! Yay!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #38
Head Chef

I have been drooling after a KA Artisan for a couple of years. A new one in Britain will cost at least 499 ($760) (with very few attachments).

Can't justify it right now, but having seen the endorsements from users, I am definitely going to get one eventually!

In the meantime, I am making do with an ancient but trusty Moulinex hand mixer, a Kenwood Minichef, and a Bamix stick blender.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Ask Gadzooks. Once you have a Hobart, you will never go back to a KA.
Because I will never have need of another mixer...unless I have to go bigger, in which case it would be...a Hobart.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
I have been drooling after a KA Artisan for a couple of years. A new one in Britain will cost at least 499 ($760) (with very few attachments).

Can't justify it right now, but having seen the endorsements from users, I am definitely going to get one eventually!

In the meantime, I am making do with an ancient but trusty Moulinex hand mixer, a Kenwood Minichef, and a Bamix stick blender.
If you are considering paying 499, you should have a look at this Swedish mixer that I am lusting after. In GB, it costs 595. I heard about it here on DC. I don't use the mixer I have very much, but I might use a good one a lot more - enough to justify the price of an expensive unit.

Assistent Original Mixer Range

Tags
kitchenaid, mixer, recipe