"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I find the scraping beater a really valuable accessory, specially with smaller batches.
I saw one long before KA came out with theirs. My biggest gripe with KA has always been having to stop and scrape down the bowl. I have always considered that a design flaw of an otherwise great product. I couldn't get on line fast enough to order one. I must have had that for a whole year before KA came out with theirs. It not only scrapes the sides, but folds in the ingredients. It is similar to the KA Sideswipe. I don't remember the name of the company I bought it from. But they also had ones to fit the attachment shank for every make of mixer. I wish KA would make that paddle the one that comes with the mixer instead of the one that makes you stop and scrape constantly.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I saw one long before KA came out with theirs. My biggest gripe with KA has always been having to stop and scrape down the bowl. I have always considered that a design flaw of an otherwise great product. I couldn't get on line fast enough to order one. I must have had that for a whole year before KA came out with theirs. It not only scrapes the sides, but folds in the ingredients. It is similar to the KA Sideswipe. I don't remember the name of the company I bought it from. But they also had ones to fit the attachment shank for every make of mixer. I wish KA would make that paddle the one that comes with the mixer instead of the one that makes you stop and scrape constantly.
Mine is the Beater Blade brand and I'd never be without one! I was shocked at how sturdy it is for being plastic. I've had mine for probably close to 5 years now and it is still in excellent shape.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:11 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Mine is the Beater Blade brand and I'd never be without one! I was shocked at how sturdy it is for being plastic. I've had mine for probably close to 5 years now and it is still in excellent shape.
My blade is silicone and just rinses off so quickly if I need it for a different food. The frame is hard plastic.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #44
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
My blade is silicone and just rinses off so quickly if I need it for a different food. The frame is hard plastic.
Sounds like the Beaterblade.

This is what mine looks like except the plastic frame is more clear/opaque than white.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #45
Sous Chef

Still waiting for someone to make a self scraping beater fro the N50....
Old 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I finally invested in one of these. Used it for the first time the other day, and I'm in love. I did pay the higher price for the genuine KA one. After reading the reviews on Amazon, there were a lot of comments with the plastic ones breaking, while the all metal (except for the scraper) KA beater got a lot of raves. For something like that which has to survive a lot of torque when mixing thick batters, I'm more trusting of the metal one.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Google Image Result for http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_01_17-SideSwipe.jpg

This is the one I have. It scrapes the sides and folds at the same time. It also scrapes that hump and all around it that is on the bottom. I never use the flat beater that came with my KA. I have a love affair going on with this one. An it is much cheaper than the KA one. Another plus is that it just rinses off. Ever needed to mix something else in that second bowl? Just rinse this blade off. I am seriously thinking of ordering one for my DIL. She uses her mixer all the time and has the same gripes.

TheKitchn.com
Old 09-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I finally invested in one of these. Used it for the first time the other day, and I'm in love. I did pay the higher price for the genuine KA one. After reading the reviews on Amazon, there were a lot of comments with the plastic ones breaking, while the all metal (except for the scraper) KA beater got a lot of raves. For something like that which has to survive a lot of torque when mixing thick batters, I'm more trusting of the metal one.
I've had my beaterblade for about 5 years and I haven't been nice to it! It has held together perfectly, I even run it through the dishwasher. Doesn't look much different than it did new.

I was a little hesitant when I saw that it was plastic, but it has held together great, even with heavy cookie dough.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #49
Head Chef

Quote:
Google Image Result for http://i-cdn.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/kitchen/2008_01_17-SideSwipe.jpg

This is the one I have. It scrapes the sides and folds at the same time. It also scrapes that hump and all around it that is on the bottom. I never use the flat beater that came with my KA. I have a love affair going on with this one. An it is much cheaper than the KA one. Another plus is that it just rinses off. Ever needed to mix something else in that second bowl? Just rinse this blade off. I am seriously thinking of ordering one for my DIL. She uses her mixer all the time and has the same gripes.

TheKitchn.com
I looked at the SideSwipe along with other after market wiping beaters, and none had the almost universal 5 star ratings that the KA Flex received. That is what swayed me. Even the SideSwipe was rated by many users as "fragile". I live in the Bahamas and can't just drop it in the mail to return it, or order another one without going through an importer and paying exorbitant shipping and duty charges, often as much as double the cost of the item itself. For that reason, the real KA all metal Flex beater is by far my best choice. At $28.46 (Amazon), it's not exactly going to break the bank (the SideSwipe is $27.98, and made of plastic).
Old 09-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Can't live without my KA. I have the biggest household use one. All my tools for it are metal. I still need the grinder, sausage stuffer and pasta cutter. My favorite tool is the dough hook. For some reason, my hands kill yeast doughs, so it's the only way to make yeast breads for me. I also use it for pastry, noodle doughs, etc. just have to be careful or the stuff gets tough from overworking.

Tags
kitchenaid, mixer, recipe