"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 12-06-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Will I be happy with a KitchenAid mixer?

Hello everyone, I could use some advice from some more experienced bakers. I'm looking lustfully at the KA Artisan mixer and wondering if I'll regret it. They are horrendously expensive here in Australia, but anything else won't look as pretty in my little country kitchen and will therefore get hidden away (and used less). I've also read that they aren't the first choice for serious bread bakers, and I'm wondering whether that should bother me.

I've just bought an Esse wood-fired oven/heater which will be running all winter, essentially giving me a 'free' oven to use. I plan to bake my own bread (and pizza, and pastry, and merinques etc), and I generally prefer wholemeal, wholegrain and light rye styles of bread. I have no idea how much dough I'll be making at a time, I'm single so I don't see a need for huge loaves, but it is likely they will be from quite dense doughs. The oven isn't massive at 12"W x 13"H x 17"D so I guess I'm limited anyway to one large loaf or maybe two small ones at a time.

So, do you think a KA will keep me happy?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have been using my KA for about 18 years, and wouldn't be without it, I am an avid baker. I mix bread dough in it often, I leave it in there and let the machine knead the dough, so the mixer gets quite a workout.

This machine should serve your "kneads" well

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
Cook

I couldn't function in the kitchen without mine. I have the meat grinder attachment and use it a lot. I also like the bread making/kneading function more than I can say.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef

never had a problem with mine, going on 6 years now.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Check out Chefs Catalog. They had a really sweet sale on KAs a while back.

Wish I'd kept my grandma's after she passed. I think it was sold at auction.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've had mine for over 30 years and it lives out on the kitchen counter. In its lifetime, it's done everything except reroof the house. I'd say, "Go for it!"
Old 12-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I should mention that I'm looking at the regular 5qt model. I've seen a few comments criticizing its wholewheat dough capacity, but I can't work out whether that would be an issue for me with the batch sizes I'd be looking at. Any idea how much wholewheat bread I could make comfortably in a single batch?

I know its terribly superficial but I can't stop drooling over the polished chrome version of this mixer, I reckon it will look great next to the chrome lids of the wood stove. The chrome finish has been discontinued apparently but I've found a dealer with a couple left, which is why I'm now hopping from foot to foot wringing my hands wondering whether to pull the trigger.

I just need someone to talk me into it (or out of it?)
Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #8
Executive Chef

We've used ours so much, I've replaced a nylon gear for the planetary and have a spare " just in case"!

Craig
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreksbro View Post
Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I should mention that I'm looking at the regular 5qt model. I've seen a few comments criticizing its wholewheat dough capacity, but I can't work out whether that would be an issue for me with the batch sizes I'd be looking at. Any idea how much wholewheat bread I could make comfortably in a single batch?

I know its terribly superficial but I can't stop drooling over the polished chrome version of this mixer, I reckon it will look great next to the chrome lids of the wood stove. The chrome finish has been discontinued apparently but I've found a dealer with a couple left, which is why I'm now hopping from foot to foot wringing my hands wondering whether to pull the trigger.
I just need someone to talk me into it (or out of it?)
I have the slightly smaller "ultra power"(the midgrade model before the Artisan came out) and I can do batches that yield 2 loaves or around 8 cups of flour, that batch is pushing its limits though, my bowl is 4.5 quarts.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would never get rid of my KA.

Tags
kitchenaid, mixer, recipe