Wish they made microwave ovens for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
Practically every year we have to replace the microwave oven in our shop due to improper use by employees. They keep burning them out. :mad:
Basically, what I need is a very simple microwave oven with a large, single turn dial with a maximum time setting of say, 3 minutes. That's all. That's all it takes to boil a cup of water or heat up some left over take out food.
Electronic push buttons are too complicated for some of these people to operate. I've caught some entering 30 minutes for a cup of water. :mad: They'll push any button just to get the oven going without any regard to the amount of time they've entered. :mad: Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.
This time I'm taking my sweet time to replace that microwave to teach them a lesson, and I'm getting a tiny one this time. :mad:

Commercial microwaves are typically more rugged and much simpler. Post a chart of cooking times.

I'm always amazed that the microwave in our break room continues to run, in 9 years we are only on #2, the old one just wore out and was taking forever to heat up anything. They are both cheap Emerson's

The current one on occasion has a fit where if the door is open, it'll run, close the door and it will shut off, :LOL: Pushing clear and starting over seems to fix the problem.

Gosh, they must be real dummies, sorry to say. The Microwave oven we have in our lunch rooms at work is about 20 years old, but we have bunch of Engineers.
Commercial is probably a way to go, but I think they are expensive. Check Sears for something simple. I got mine there and it very easy to operate.

Last edited:
I don't think they make dial-controlled ones anymore.

Go to Target and buy the cheapest one.

Post a list of instructions or write them on the side of the unit with magic marker.

Tape over all but the most essential buttons.

Repeat in 2 years.

Cool!!

Go for it then. I looked for one in stores for a long time 2 years ago for our office "kitchen" and totally struck out and was smirkingly told they are not made anymore.

That was before I bought everything I buy via Amazon prime.

I'd just suggest to buy the cheapest one.

Although these dials are very simple to set they can still dial up to 30 minutes. If I get one of these I need to install some kind of a mechanical stop on the dial so you can't go past 3 minutes.
Believe me, they will throw a tortilla in there, turn the dial without looking, and walk away from the break room. Five minutes later we will smell something burning coming from the break room.....

Duct tape. A sharpie marker. Perhaps a brief inservice on how to use a microwave, along with a stern warning.

Last edited:
There IS a microwave for dummies. It's a walk-in microwave with just one button, on the inside:

START: 30 MINUTES
roflqy7.gif

I think jennyema has it right buy cheap and drag your feet each time you need to replace one.

Also raise the booth rent a couple of bucks or decrease future raises a few cents to cover the cost of your aggravation. Then you can sit back and smile each time you have to buy another microwave!

Like Cyndi Lauper said "Money changes everything!" :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom