Woes of the Stoves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I am having the worse luck with stoves and this year ALL appliances in general.

As some of you have read on other threads, I have been without an oven for almost a month 'n a half. They finally got the part in and came today - what should have been a 30 minute job turned into 2.5 hours.

They left without having done a thing. sigh, cry, scream, laugh, sigh, cry, scream... about the only good thing was the boss said - no charge - he couldn't do a darn thing and therefore no charge.

In order to reach the sensor that needed to be replace ($300) the top of the stove and the burners had to be lfted off. There are 4 screws for each burner going thru the top plate, another plate under and after that I'm not sure. Half of them were so rusted on they could not get them off. These guys are not amateurs and they just looked at each other. Answer of course, is to drill out the offending screws - one screw had already sheared off.

Not equipped to do that in the home - stove has to go to the shop. It has to be done right and the new replacements required tap and die. If not done properly and it is loose - there is the chance that there could be loose play that would be dangerous with the propane.

Three choices -
1. my ex could probably drill it out (but not sure he has the patience) and if he did the "tap & die" job improperly - who could I yell at? :rolleyes:
2. pay and $end it to the $hop. $$ :ermm: ($800)
3. buy a new $tove. even more $$$!:( ($1000 + taxes & installation)

I'm completely deflated right now... but I'm telling you... if Cousin Murphy is any where in the neighbourhood - well, I WILL be feeling ...
img_1487916_0_c3f7d9771661e125de2282c813ad3068.gif

I'm glad they didn't charge you for their time today, dragn.

Well, if I were faced with those choices....hmmm. I'd rule out #1, because it's iffy. ;) I'd also rule out #2 - at a cost of $800 for a 'fix', PLUS having to send it out, that would be a deal breaker for me.

I'd go ahead and buy a new one, properly installed by a professional. Leaking propane from a bad fix is nothing to mess with.

Last edited:
Hm. Drat, drat, and double drat. I have to agree with Cheryl, I'd get a new stove and have a pro install it.

Sounds like you deserve a new stove. If some of the parts are already rusted out, who knows what other parts are still safe. I would be very hesitant to trust anymore repairs.

Go for it girl. You deserve a new stove after all you have been through with this one. Retire it and bring in a new one. New stove for a New Year! Happy Cooking. :yum:

hmmm... You've all given me real food for thought and have been pondering all evening.

History:
I bought this stove when I threw out a 6 year old stove that I had repaired once and then needed the exact same repair 3 years later. A new electronic board, the first time the part was covered by the warranty but not the labour ($300). In order to work on this stove the repair man needed to hold not only a Propane certificate but an Electrician's certificate as well. They are not easy to find.

This 2nd time, had I not been home, would have literally burned the house down. It had turned itself on due to a short circuit in the board. I did not have air conditioning at the time and the high humidity caused the oven to start something with the convection. I was in the living-room at the time and kept hearing a "click". Went to investigate and the stove was saying "please set the temp probe" I could not turn the oven off no matter what I did. I could feel heat and looked inside - the convection fan area was red hot!
I charged down to the basement and threw the breaker.

I went on line and discovered that the electronic board on this model was often malfunctioning. As it was no longer covered by the warranty and the part was close to $400 plus the labour, I chucked it down the driveway. That was a $4,000 stove that lasted 6 years.

I searched and found this stove - it had an oven light and an electric sparker to start the burners. Absolutely no other electric parts. A real old fashion type with the grill in the bottom drawer - just like the original gas stoves.
It is just over 4 years old. Paid $2,000 (including tax and installation).

I'm a terrible skimper but never with stoves. My stoves have always been indulgences. Anyhow I been thinking on it all evening and can't see spending $1,000 for a new one, plus the tax (15%) plus the installation ($500,which is pretty standard).

I will though if the repairs cannot assure me that the new screws will not do the same thing.

The Devil? or the Deep Blue Sea...

Oki do like this, Take the cost of the original stove + repairs , is this cheaper then getting a new stove, will the stove last as many years more?

So after doing a balancing act on the fence - I called my ex and asked if he would like to try and drill out the stuck screws. They were miserable. The metal they were in, drilled out easier than the screws themselves as we discovered with several bad angles. Long story short - we finally gave up.

Going shopping.

Another balancing act between Costco and Home Depot. Same stove - different financing - have to make a choice! :ermm:

Guess I'll have to make a Pro and Con chart - which in the end I will probably ignore. :( :blink:

What stove are you looking at? And try to see if there any review on the stove.

Thanks CakePoet, I've looked for reviews but they are mainly by other 'companies'. Haven't really found any by consumers.

One of my concerns is that this model is on sale at many of the outlets - I don't want to find out that they are stopping this model because of too many problems - which was supposedly exactly why they discontinued the stove I have now.

How often do manufacturer's discontinue a model to bring in a new one? Every 5 years or so?

Back
Top Bottom