"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
You can buy that same wok, without Joyce Chen's name on it, for about 12 bucks at Cost Plus World Market. You can also buy small bottles of different types of oil there, so you don't 1. Waste your money on a big bottle of oil you end up not liking, and 2. waste your money on a big bottle of oil that goes rancid before you can use it all.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
much of it depends on what you want to cook in it also, I have 5 different Woks here, the one Most used for everyday type cooking is my flat heavy based Stainless Steel wok, good for gas or elec :)

I have plain steel, carbon steel types also those are great when heat provision isn`t an issue, they will work on an open fire if you wanted to :)
I also have a thin Alu Wok teflon coated, that`s ok more for elec cooking as opposed to gas and suited to things you don`t want to cook for a length of time, small amounts of veg or egg for instance, you wouldn`t load such a wok with Rice to fry for instance, it`s delicate work only.

I don`t know if that`s any help to you at all?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
I think your thinking of the wrong typf of sesame oil. The sesame oil that looks like this:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...V54595111_.jpg

not this
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/...093540121_.jpg

Ncage
The dark sesame oil pictured in your second link is toasted sesame oil. It has a much more pronounced flavor of sesame. Since the OP was looking for sesame flavor, I recommend that for a finishing oil. I would use Asian peanut oil for the stirfry. You sure could use the light sesame for stirfry but there wouldn't get much sesame flavor in the finished dish.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I have been to the wok shop on line the wok shop: selling woks for 30 years and had great success. They offer fine products, advice, help, and throw in a freebee recipe book with the order. THey have emailed me advice etc. I expected to need to season the wok the old fashioned way...oil, bake, oil bake etc. but they suggested a different approach...salt season it over high heat...(only works with gas stove and good ventilation. Had that wok seasoned in 30 min, ready to go.

Anyway , they have my recommendation.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Stay with a plain, carbon stell wok. Once it's seasoned it'll cook just like seasoned cast iron. I've used a wok for 20 years. I got interested when there used to be a wok infomercial on TV. I finally purchased the set at the WI State Fair. That wok is still my favorite, although I own and use three more including a flat bottom carbon steel wok and a cast iron wok. Stay away from nonstick and electric woks. They're not worth the money. We recently purchased a Viking stove with the wok grate. This has taken wok cooking to an entirely new level! I noticed one of the threads deals with gas stoves any one of the replies hated Viking. I'm here to tell you it's the finest stove I've ever used and don't regret a single penny we spent on it. Just rinse your wok when done, dry it on the stove, lightly oil it, and put it away. Prperly cared for it should last your lifetime.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I have a dumb question here. I just bought a wok the other day, and after using it once, I cleaned it, and, not being able to get it completely clean, I put a little calcium remover (water and phosphor acid, I think) in it. after a few seconds I poured it out again, and washed it thoroughly. but, then it turned a yellow-ish colour and started giving off an iron odour that it didn't earlier.
my question: did I ruin my new wok?
my wok is this type:

thank you!
s
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
Executive Chef

did you ruin it? no. re season it and only glean it with HOT water and a brush from then on. Dry and heat after cleaning and rub in a little oil before storing your wok.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

thanks a lot. I will do that.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:43 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I wish I still had the information, but I did not save it and do not remember the chefs name. Anyway she was a woman who has been a wok chef for many many years, and written many books on wok cooking. She said that there is no need for anyone to use a flat bottom wok, even people using them on electric stoves. She said the round bottom wok is a better bet. I wish I remembered more details so I could back up what I am saying, but unfortunately I do not. Maybe someone here will know who I am talking about and will post a link.
GB, perhaps you're thinking of this article? It's by Kasma Loha-Unchit, a cookbook author and Thai cooking instructor. I took classes from her and highly recommend them. I actually discovered her when I was preparing to buy a wok and googled around for information about how to choose, use and care for one.

I will also second the recommendation for the Wok Shop. I bought my wok there (in person, I live in the Bay Area, they're in SF) and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

I would like to pass along a tip that the nice folks at the wok shop gave me when i got my wok: Go for one that's larger than standard. In most stores you will usually see 12" and 14" woks. These sizes are fine for couples and and small families most of the time, but not great when you want to cook a big batch. I got a 16" wok and it is great for cooking any size batch I've needed, whether small or large.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
GB, perhaps you're thinking of this article? It's by Kasma Loha-Unchit, a cookbook author and Thai cooking instructor.
Nope that was not the article, but that was a very good one as well.