"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Head Chef

Wok

I searched several places on this site for information on WOK cooking and appliances. I didn't find anything. I am sure there is.

Anyway, I am thinking about replacing my wok. I would like one that works on my stove over the burner. I don't know that much about the electric woks. I like the uniform heat that I get using the stove top. I don't know too much about using a wok for outdoor cooking.

Can you help me with information for this purchase?

Old 01-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I think i can help some. I love wok cooking as you. I absolutly love thai food. First of all do not get a electric wok. THey will not get NEARLY as hot enough to wok cook. Buy either a carbon steal wok or a cast iron wok. You need a flat bottom. Here is the wok i have:
Amazon.com: Joyce Chen 14-Inch Unseasoned Carbon Steel Flat Bottom Wok with Wood Handles: Home & Garden

Like cast iron carbon steal will need to be taken care of but its not that difficult. It gets extremly hot which is what you need. Ok to wok you need to heat up the wok on as high as you can turn your burner on. Expect so smoke so turn the vent on. Pour some sesame (not the dark stuff) or peanut oil into the wok till it starts to smoke and then start woking. Its as simple as that. Does this help?

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
Head Chef

That looks like a perfectly good wok. Have you seen a two piece wok with one piece that fits over the burner and cradles the wok?

I am an apt dweller; this is one of the worst stoves that I have ever cooked on. One of the front burners is set extremely high and is twice the flame of the others. I think it was made for a wok.

I generally set my wok over medium heat and let it heat (30-45 min) while I prepare the ingredients. Once I'm ready with everything, up goes the heat for 5-10 minutes. (sometimes just 2 min). Sesame is one of my favorites and I think that I will try the oil.

I'm glad you reminded me of that smoke. I usually close off the bedroom doors; but I've got a little dog that is terrified of smoke. I'll give her a fan!
(and that also being her name).

What is one of your favorite wok recipes?
Old 01-07-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The wok in the link is flat bottomed so it doesn't need a ring. The ring is for round bottom woks.

You will have to season that wok as you would a cast iron pan before use.

You shouldn't use sesame oil fro the stirfry. It's fairly delicate and looses a lot of flavor at high heat. Stirfry with peanut oil and season the finished dish with the sesame oil.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The wok in the link is flat bottomed so it doesn't need a ring. The ring is for round bottom woks.

You will have to season that wok as you would a cast iron pan before use.

You shouldn't use sesame oil fro the stirfry. It's fairly delicate and looses a lot of flavor at high heat. Stirfry with peanut oil and season the finished dish with the sesame oil.
I think your thinking of the wrong typf of sesame oil. The sesame oil that looks like this:
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...V54595111_.jpg

not this
http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/...093540121_.jpg

Ncage
Old 01-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I use a carbon steel wok...I have never used the "lighter' sesame oil so I cannot comment on it use other than if that is what you have....go for it!
I use peanut oil in my wok...and the Asian "darker" sesame as finishing oil for flavor only when the dish calls for it or either I just wanna taste it!!! I do love the flavor it imparts....
Old 01-07-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

I wish I still had the information, but I did not save it and do not remember the chefs name. Anyway she was a woman who has been a wok chef for many many years, and written many books on wok cooking. She said that there is no need for anyone to use a flat bottom wok, even people using them on electric stoves. She said the round bottom wok is a better bet. I wish I remembered more details so I could back up what I am saying, but unfortunately I do not. Maybe someone here will know who I am talking about and will post a link.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

GB... my wok is round bottom and I do not use a "fire ring" on my gas stove...It's a little wobbly but I manage as I usually have one hand on the handle anyway. Sometimes I use it outside on a high pressure burner when I really need the intense heat! I have never owned a "flat bottom" one so I can't really comment..other than to say I understand the need for safety/stability on modern stove tops etc to protect the maunfacturer.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Master Chef

I've had the same carbon-steel wok since 1975 & would never part with it. It was a gift from my mom that she purchased from a local Asian grocery store in NY. Since I've always had an electric stove with the coil elements (my preference), I use a ring & have never ever had a problem in getting that wok as hot as necessary ("white" hot, in some instances). I ADORE it, & use it for stirfries, blanching large amounts of vegetables, deepfrying, steaming (using a 3-tiered bamboo steamer setup), etc., etc.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #10
Sous Chef

If you have an electric stove then you want a flat-bottomed wok. In fact, with an electric stove you might also want to consider a carbon-steel frypan made by some french companies that have high walls (I'm currently weighing my options on these). With a gas stove I would use a wok ring and round bottom wok. The key is getting as much of the heat from the source into the pan. With an electric stove that means direct contact, and a wok (even a flat-bottomed unit) really doesn't make much contact. A frypan does, but you want one made from carbon-steel with high enough walls for stir-frying. Then you need to pick the style wok that you want (or frypan). Some are wide/open with two loop handles, and the northern style "pow" woks have steeper walls with a long handle for tossing the stirfry. I like both for different dishes. Carbon-steel woks are dirt cheap, so I have a few for different dishes.

Buy "Breath of the Wok" from your local bookstore or Amazon. It's a fantastic introductory to wok cooking.

I stir-fry with a high-temp inexpensive oil like Canola or Peanut. Sesame oil is relatively high-priced, delicate, breaks down easy, and loses it's great flavor when raised to high temps. Stir seasme oil into a dish towards the end to preserve it's wonderful properties.