Wolf reliability??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeek

Assistant Cook
Hi -

Building a house and am looking at a Wolf dual fuel DF304-LP. Went to a big chain store and they priced it out, but tried to steer me towards the DCS as being of better value. Went to another big competing store and they pushed hard towards AMERICAN RANGE saying they were much better for the price. Both told me that the Wolf electronics were very expensive to replace and were somewhat prone to failiure (the "hidden" electronics and the digital temperature control on the oven knob). Any feedback from you guys on this? Edging towards the Wolf, but these comments scared me. Checked with Wolf and the parts are $700+ to replace if they break - kind of scary given their proximity to the oven and potential heat damage.

Thoughts on this "Wolf issue", on American Range and DCS?

Thanks!!!

;)

Hi neeek. Welcome to DC

I am not aware of the Wolf issue. It generally gets good reviews. I have also heard the DCS is a good piece of equipment.

If you search some of our threads in the Appliance section, you'll find some good comments. This subject has been discussed at length.

You have to be sceptical of anything a salesperson tells you about a brand he doesn't want you to buy because his store doesn't carry it or because he gets incentives to sell another brand.

Have you checked epinions.com or other product evaluation sites?

Andy - thanks for the welcome note :)

Didn't find anything on epinions and nothing specific on the reliability of the onboard electronics of the Wolf duel-fuels...

Both stores sold Wolf ranges and were glad to sell them to me. The concerns they raised were just enough for me to want to get other opinions on...

Anyone out there have any issues with the Wolf electronics on the new duel fuels? DF304/DF366?

We have regular members who are much more knowledgeable and have first-hand experience. Hang in and they will respond.

I just service on my KA dw and asked the serviceman about Wolfe ranges, because I really thought I wanted one. He told me that there are numerous problems with this brand and parts are very expensive.
He took the wind out of my sails.
He said that the Jenn Aire was good. I never considered that brand.

I just service on my KA dw and asked the serviceman about Wolfe ranges, because I really thought I wanted one. He told me that there are numerous problems with this brand and parts are very expensive.
He took the wind out of my sails.
He said that the Jenn Aire was good. I never considered that brand.

Can't offer any advice on ranges, but Buck and I have a Jenn-Air dishwasher we bought at a thrift store many years ago for $15 that is working like a champ. Turns out it was an appliance store model that was discontinued and had been donated to the Salvation Army. It has been an awesome appliance and enough that we'd consider Jenn-Air for future appliance purchases.

I also have to add that, when we contacted Jenn-Air about the dishwasher, they were more than helpful. They asked for the serial number and, from that, gave us the history of the appliance. I had several more questions about it and was given more than adequate answers.

Best wishes on your appliance quest.

Mom & Pop just built a new house and Mom wanted a Wolf because she saw one somewhere and liked the way they looked ... they, too, were warned away from one because of dependability issues. They wound up with a Jenn-Air that Mom loves.

Those are not cheap stoves - you might want to consider going to Consumer Reports.org and pay the $6 to join for a month to read the reviews they have on the Wolf and other ovens. But, when you consider you have already been to two stores and they both told you the same thing about the Wolf oven problems ... I would probably give that some thought.

Those are not cheap stoves - you might want to consider going to Consumer Reports.org and pay the $6 to join for a month to read the reviews they have on the Wolf and other ovens.

We get the magazine and they rated stoves recently. I don't have it on me (I'm at work right now), but if I remember correctly, the Wolf rated very low in reliability.

Most public libraries have back issues of Consumer Reports magazine in the reference section.

I have a Wolf and it is fine. Appliance sales showed me many brands and rated Wolf highest. Talked to several independent service folks and they rated Wolf very highly. Any high end range (Wolf Viking Thermador etc is gonna cost for parts if and when needed because they parts are pricey, period!) DCS is good but recently bought out by Fisher and Paykel, Australian, so make sure parts and service are readily available in your area (should be ok) American range is a very basic product, pretty much a commercial range toned down and insulated. Ummm, basic is the key word here...commercial cooks turn ovens to 500* and time by wall clocks. Commercial bakers have convection and steam ovens now.

Both Wolf and Viking have come in for their share of attacks, and yet there are many satisfied customers out there (I'm one.) The real issue is don't by a range because you like the looks, but by how it operates. Does it work for the way you cook?

1) are you preheating the for the 1/2 hour required. 2) are you keeping the burners clean 3) are you familiar with rack placement recommnedation? etc 4) very even heat cooks differently than the average American oven which has up to 80* range of temp as it heats and cools during normal cycles. etc 5) are your pots and pans appropriate for the cooking surface and btus of the range. etc

My sis loves her Fridgidaire glass top convection range. Cost 8-10 times less than my Wolf which intimidates her. We both turn out fine meals. To each his/her own.

I think Rob hit it right on. I think it's basically a matter of how much money you have and how you plan to use it.

I put my money in my monogram refrigerator. GE is trashed left and right but I have absolutely no complains. I liked the layout better than the Subzero and I still like it today over a Subzero. The price difference between the two was neglible and I would still pick GE over it everytime regardless of consumer bashing.

I also am an avid cook but yet i opted for the Kenmore elite brand over other commercial ones. Its been 3 years and Kenmore has worked great - the 36 inch cooktop, telescopic downdraft, dishwasher, convection oven and warming drawer. All the appliances are in immaculate shape. I had no experience with Kenmore before but now I am a convert.

I say take reviews with a grain of salt and always get extended warranties on expensive appliances. It will give you peace of mind and if something breaks your warranty should cover it.

BTW: I love the wolf range with the large red controls :chef:

Wolf Double-Oven (Built-In) Owner

I can tell you, as an almost 2 year owner of a Wolf Double-Oven, built-in model, there really isn't anything out there that looks better from the outside. I am disappointed with the quality, and would be more so if I didn't purchase it off ebay for almost half the showroom price. If I paid that kind of money, I'd be outraged!

Shortcomings: the hearth metal (oven-base) flexes & pops - though a self-clean cycle corrected the upper oven, the lower has prevailed, however. And the calibration of the convection cooking w/ the probe will leave you with less than done poultry and roasts every time. I am not sure how to compensate yet for the shortcomings on this last issue, because I'd really like to take advantage of the convection cooking modes. To date, I've not seen anything out there to help; hoping to find it in this website - if not Wolf users, perhaps other brand convection oven users.:)

I am disappointed with the quality, and would be more so if I didn't purchase it off ebay for almost half the showroom price. If I paid that kind of money, I'd be outraged!

Shortcomings: the hearth metal (oven-base) flexes & pops - though a self-clean cycle corrected the upper oven, the lower has prevailed, however. And the calibration of the convection cooking w/ the probe will leave you with less than done poultry and roasts every time. I am not sure how to compensate yet for the shortcomings on this last issue, because I'd really like to take advantage of the convection cooking modes. To date, I've not seen anything out there to help; hoping to find it in this website - if not Wolf users, perhaps other brand convection oven users.

I'm wondering if the calibration is something a Wolf technician can resolve for you. Have you tried contacting Wolf or your local authorized factory service center about it? I imagine something like that should be covered under the 2-yr warranty.

Last edited:
Wolf comes with a two year warranty (full) and 3 more years (limited)

Yes a technician can calibrate the oven for you and answer any of your usage questions.

I have had no issues with mine at all since installation was by the factory service people and calibration was set at that time.

I have the Wolf DF366 (dual fuel, 36" 6 burner)

I would buy it again without hesitation. THey have a telephone custopmer service as well as a web site. A real person will talk to you. THey care about good customer service.

I have not had the same results from Dacor (another high end appliance maker) with parts or service. Waiting over 2 months for an in-fridge water filter. They have lost a customer.

Roger on Calibration

Yes, we had the technician come out to check the ovens after these experiences. Everything checked out & there was no charge to do any of that. ;)

I do note the lower oven runs a few degrees cool in the bottom versus top on bake, which I expect may be normal for many ovens. My 1st experience using a convection oven was overseas a few years back. It also had a built-in rotisserie. That was the best chicken I had ever cooked in an oven. I halfway expected those results w/ this oven, despite not having a rotisserie (not a Wolf feature). I'll have to experiment next time, maybe program 10 degrees higher temperature rise before the oven shuts off.

I'll say this, broiling fish (using convection broil especially) is a strong suit for this oven.:chef:

puggers, is your oven gas or electric? I had a gas oven once and it really liked to flex and popped. My current electric doesn't pop at all. I'm just curious as to what the specifics are that made you disappointed since I've been researching appliances and Wolf ovens (electric) was on my list. I'm also debating whether to get a convection oven, too.

It's Electric

It's the double electric, built-in & unframed model. Looks very nice. The upper oven popped real bad at first. After we cleaned it the first time it took care of the upper. We weren't using the lower so much & as we've begun to use it more lately we've noticed some pops though not near as bad as the upper was. We'll see how it does after running a clean cycle in a month or so.:)

If that fixes the popping for once & all, and if I can master the use of the convection modes with roasts (such as pork loins and chickens/turkeys) utilizing the temperature probe, I will be very happy with the oven. The manual is not much help in troubleshooting performance in cooking these things. They tell you what rack position (remove the racks not being used), where to put the probe, and what cooking mode to select, such as convection roast for example, and the set point temperature for the probe. Once the probe hits the setpoint, the oven turns off.:cool:

Thanks for the feedback, puggers. I typically use a temp probe when I roast large meat items so the oven probe would be a nice feature to have. Although a slight concern I might have is not knowing when the meat is done and it sits too long in a heated oven. That would be something I'd have to figure out. :)

Back
Top Bottom